Just back from Crown princess 8/16 cruise

Wife8

Hi all,

We have just gotten back home and I want to share some things about the trip.

First, the ship is beautiful but very large. Some areas are not convenient to get to. Our dining room, Botticelli is deck 6 Aft. As our cabin was in the front of the ship and deck 6 is split up, we had to go to deck 7 aft and then go down to deck 6. Elevators were not always available and at times 2 out of 4 were in repair. We did alot of stair climbing... not a bad thing though!

We had a full suite at very front of ship on port side. It was split up into 2 rooms so it didn't feel as spacious as other suites we have been in. There was a deck slightly above us and forward over the bridge. It did not look like an open deck but when the weather cleared on the 3rd day, the deck was crowded with people. They were very close to our balcony and could see right into our cabin. So... we had to keep our curtains drawn 24/7. We complained to guest services and they did make it off limits for a day but that changed and again we were invaded. For what we paid for the suite, this was not right. We also had a cabin steward whose English was almost non-existent. He could not understand our requests for a second bar of soap for the shower or for water. In addition the cabin smelled strongly from cigarette smoke. They do not have designated non-smoking cabins. Even after we sprayed and they cleaned, the odor persisted. I almost think it was coming from the vents from an open area of the ship or another cabin.

We enjoyed most of the entertainment especially Sarge, the comedian and the production show, Motor City (Motown music).

We only booked 2 shore excursions to the 2 places we've never been. Grand Turk and Pt Canaveral. The Grand Turk one was a trolley to the beach for $32pp. The cruise director had stressed the day before that shore excursions were a most there so we booked. When I woke and looked out the window, I saw a beach, pool, shops and a Margaretaville right at the port. We went right to the shore excursion desk to cancel and were told all they could do was to try to resell our tickets. As veteran cruisers with Princess and Carnival we felt they could be more accomodating and refund our $64. Not only did that not hapopen but Luigi,a shore desk employee was extremely rude and demeaning. Although we complained to his boss, all we got was Luigi's apology. Several couples were there the next day who went on that tour and were very upset as it certainly was a waste of money! We cancelled the Pt Canaveral tour as we were upset and took a tour on our own.

Food was mixed. Some meals were very good, some OK and some not so good. We enjoyed Crown Grill and Sabatini's.

All in all, we enjoyed ourselkves but felt that we did not get our monies worth as to accomodations and we intend to take this further with Princess.

We will be pleased to answer any questions.

Alyce and Larry

Hi all,

First, the ship is beautiful but very large. Some areas are not convenient to get to. Our dining room, Botticelli is deck 6 Aft. As our cabin was in the front of the ship and deck 6 is split up, we had to go to deck 7 aft and then go down to deck 6. Elevators were not always available and at times 2 out of 4 were in repair. We did alot of stair climbing... not a bad thing though!

We had a full suite at very front of ship on port side. It was split up into 2 rooms so it didn't feel as spacious as other suites we have been in. There was a deck slightly above us and forward over the bridge. It did not look like an open deck but when the weather cleared on the 3rd day, the deck was crowded with people. They were very close to our balcony and could see right into our cabin. So... we had to keep our curtains drawn 24/7. We complained to guest services and they did make it off limits for a day but that changed and again we were invaded. For what we paid for the suite, this was not right. We also had a cabin steward whose English was almost non-existent. He could not understand our requests for a second bar of soap for the shower or for water. In addition the cabin smelled strongly from cigarette smoke. They do not have designated non-smoking cabins. Even after we sprayed and they cleaned, the odor persisted. I almost think it was coming from the vents from an open area of the ship or another cabin.

We enjoyed most of the entertainment especially Sarge, the comedian and the production show, Motor City (Motown music).

We only booked 2 shore excursions to the 2 places we've never been. Grand Turk and Pt Canaveral. The Grand Turk one was a trolley to the beach for $32pp. The cruise director had stressed the day before that shore excursions were a most there so we booked. When I woke and looked out the window, I saw a beach, pool, shops and a Margaretaville right at the port. We went right to the shore excursion desk to cancel and were told all they could do was to try to resell our tickets. As veteran cruisers with Princess and Carnival we felt they could be more accomodating and refund our $64. Not only did that not hapopen but Luigi,a shore desk employee was extremely rude and demeaning. Although we complained to his boss, all we got was Luigi's apology. Several couples were there the next day who went on that tour and were very upset as it certainly was a waste of money! We cancelled the Pt Canaveral tour as we were upset and took a tour on our own.

Food was mixed. Some meals were very good, some OK and some not so good. We enjoyed Crown Grill and Sabatini's.

All in all, we enjoyed ourselkves but felt that we did not get our monies worth as to accomodations and we intend to take this further with Princess.

Alyce and Larry

Also on this sailing. The first two or three days the food was not so great. Improved greatly after that. I knew from the second we boarded the ship that the Trolley in Turks would not show us much and cancelled very quickly. Staff very nice and made an immediate refund no questions asked. This was our sixteenth or seventeenth cruise and our sixth with Princess.The problem with this ship is that the decks are extemely overcrowded on sea days. The pools are way too small and spots where there is shade are very limited. Do not get me wrong but I think this time of year is a great time for families with small children. We are grandparents however I think couples who are looking to get away for some peace and relaxation will have a difficult time getting either on this ship. I thought there was way too much rowdiness. Teenagers who in some cases were on the rude side. I see a decline since the line came under the control of Carnival. Many passengers as I could see had very little cruising experience and lacked a lot of savy on cruise behavior. Many people were very sweet and friendly however. I think many children remained with their parents and wondered why they were not at the camp. The incident with the man overboard was horrifying. I have been on a cruise where we did have a real suicide and searched for the body for twenty four hours. You wonder why these kids and many others were not supervised by their parents. I saw a seven year old in a pool splashing his family and repeatedly sass his father and saying I did not do it. Kids have no respect today for others rights. Other kids were very nice and well behaved. One pool was so overcrowded it was wall to wall people in a pool big enough for a nice sized pool in a back yard. I am sorry to say some of these things but they are the truth. The staff on this ship was lovely. The activities boring and repetitious. An expediton for a viewing to Dunns River falls and the Botanical gardens would have been lovely. But in the botanical gardens we were followed by a camera man everywhere and at each stop disrupted everything by trying to take our pictures and a video which he was trying to sell at the end. When one pays could money for an excursion this is rude and cheap and ruins the experience of what was a lovely place. Our wait staff in Boticelli were quite nice and classy. Come on Princess get back the class you once had. You might as well do away with the dress code because many people were not even close to follow it. I am giving my honest thoughts here.

I have never heard of anyone packing bar soap for a hotel (even a motel) or cruise stay. Regular soap for taking a bath is usually available unless you're going to be roughing it in a campground. A major example is facial soap, but I doubt that this is what the OP is referring to.

I have never heard of anyone packing bar soap for a hotel (even a motel) or cruise stay. Regular soap for taking a bath is usually available unless you're going to be roughing it in a campground. A major example is facial soap' date=' but I doubt that this is what the OP is referring to.[/quote']

I have found many of the bar soaps that are available at hotels or on cruise ships are very drying on the skin because of the ingredients used. I don't use bar soaps at home..... I only use bath gels. So that may be the reason I always pack two different gels. One for daytime......one for night that's a part of the fragrance collection I wear to diner. I never have the problem of having to depend on someone else to keep enough soap in my room or cabin:) I guess it's a personal thing......everyone I vacation with...mostly family..... also brings a bath soap or gel;)

LIke Cruisin Chick, I never take bar soap (I don't normally use gel) to a hotel, motel or on a cruise. A small bar of soap, or gel in the shower, has always been available. I don't find hotel/cruise soap especially drying; I wash and then rinse it right off, then usually apply lotion, but if it is drying to your skin then it makes sense to bring your own. In a pinch shampoo works fine for washing in the shower also.

I'd bring my own soap only if going to a remote (wilderness, camping) or foreign destination where I was unsure of having soap provided.

Why don't folks bring soap with them.....I don't get that....help me out here:eek:

I honestly thought you were being really sarcastic. Until your further post, had no idea someone wouldn't understand why people don't bring soap with them. Unless I am camping (which I haven't done in years), I don't bother packing something that every hotel/cruise ship has provided. I also have very sensitive skin, but rinse the soap off well and have never had a problem except in Las Vegas.

I bring my own skin cream, however, so I can understand why people do bring their own soaps even though I don't.

It is imperative that people speak carefully (or write in this case). I also think tolerance is a virtue many of us lack. A few are certainly more vocal about issues raised then others and some people are regular little conclusion jumpers.

Okay, it seems silly to bring your own soap...to some people. Fortunately, many women, myself included, indulge in using a special soap whether for compexion, smell, lack of smell or whatever. This is one thing I do like to bring simply because you never know what will be provided. It is also comforting to have your own things when away from home..like your favorite pillow.

New poll...

How many people bring their own pillow or coffee mug!??????????????????????

It reminds me of the game we play in the car, "I'm going on a trip and I am going to take........"

New poll...

How many people bring their own pillow or coffee mug!??????????????????????

Coffee mug . . . the ship's coffee cups are too small.

Don't take my own soap but I do use my own facial cleanser.

I have never heard of anyone packing bar soap for a hotel (even a motel) or cruise stay. Regular soap for taking a bath is usually available unless you're going to be roughing it in a campground. A major example is facial soap' date=' but I doubt that this is what the OP is referring to.[/quote']

Oops, now that I'm reading my post again, I meant to say "exception", not "example."

BTW, to MU F, I think what was throwing RL was the "eek" :eek: in your post. It threw me too. Maybe you should have used the :confused: symbol, if any. also the comment about praying for her. It did seem a little combative. JMO.

Maybe Princess will offer more in their little toiletries basket (such as Carnival does with disposal razors, etc.) to help out those who had to fly without a true carryon bag. I would imagine that if someone went straight from the airport, they probably didn't get a chance to transfer the toiletries they had to put in their checked luggage into a carryon to take on the ship. So, until their luggage shows up in their cabin, they may be without some essentials for freshening up.

About coffee mugs and pillows: my hubby took both. He makes his own coffee and tea in the cabin as he's allergic to the ship's water (a small percentage of people are). He also is picky about pillows. He likes down, very soft ones. So he packed a pillow inside his guitar case (yes, he brought his guitar, too. -- good thing we were driving to the port for our last cruise).

Hi all,

Alyce and Larry

I was also on the 8/16 cruising on the crown, and I was just wondering towards the end of the cruise, you smelled the aroma of sewage in the atrium of the boat(Decks 5-7); or if it was just me who smelled it.

We had a very smooth sailing even in the very front of the ship. There was no noise or vibration from the engines. One night had fairly rough weather but I slept like a log and didn't know about it until morning.

I am sorry I mentioned the soap thing... I never bring my own soap for the shower. However, I do not use soap on my face and bring my own facial cleanser. My husband and I do use the soap provided to wash our hands. We have always found that soap provided on cruises is high quality and never needed to bring our own.

In any case, they are supposed to provide 2 bars so what is the problem if we asked for the second one?

Alyce

We had a very smooth sailing even in the very front of the ship. There was no noise or vibration from the engines. One night had fairly rough weather but I slept like a log and didn't know about it until morning.

I am sorry I mentioned the soap thing... I never bring my own soap for the shower. However, I do not use soap on my face and bring my own facial cleanser. My husband and I do use the soap provided to wash our hands. We have always found that soap provided on cruises is high quality and never needed to bring our own.

In any case, they are supposed to provide 2 bars so what is the problem if we asked for the second one?

Alyce

Alyce.........I use the ship's soap to wash my hand as well....and there is nothing wrong with asking for more.

I asked the soap question because yours was the second post where the poster had problems getting extra soap for their cabin. Believe me it was a question I threw out there....perhaps because I always pack my own and have never had a soap issue:)

Archived