Giving some thought to Vintage

KLLund

I have a couple of Heirloom pieces that I am thinking I might drag out this year.. the first one is a "reticule" that my great grandmother used in the late 1800's ..

I am thinking it could be kinda fun with a dressy LBD.

handbag_001.jpg

The other is a 3 foot long rope of tiny individually sewn amber beads from the Flapper era .. that was my great aunts. I have had great fun with this over the years as a belt .. a necklace with tassles front or back and as a headband for a costume party .. not sure what I would do this time .. but well lets have some creative thinking here

ambernecklacesmall.jpg

Kathy,

They are beautiful pieces. Definitely use them.

My only recommendation would be to pack them in carry-on luggage rather than checking them. I am sure they have great sentimental value to you and by doing carry-on you would have control over how they are handled.

I love the purse - how gorgeous.

I have a couple of Heirloom pieces that I am thinking I might drag out this year.. the first one is a "reticule" that my great grandmother used in the late 1800's ..

I am thinking it could be kinda fun with a dressy LBD.

handbag_001.jpg

The other is a 3 foot long rope of tiny individually sewn amber beads from the Flapper era .. that was my great aunts. I have had great fun with this over the years as a belt .. a necklace with tassles front or back and as a headband for a costume party .. not sure what I would do this time .. but well lets have some creative thinking here

ambernecklacesmall.jpg

I have some beads that belonged to my grandfather's aunt. they are kind of a navy/royal blue-I am not sure WHAT they are-my grand father had given them to my mom and as she had kept them all her life and when she died-no one wanted them I took them. I have never worn them though and have no idea if they are valuable or just junk.

My mom had inherited a blue agate cameo brooch also-that belonged to my grandfather's aunt-(he had 2 aunts, his mother's sisters, that never married) that cameo brooch disapeered along with my mother's original wedding set. Her wedding rings the gold had worn through and she had stopped wearing them as my Dad had bought her a nicer wedding ring and she had never had them repaired.

She just discovered one day they were missing-so she knows they were stolen but by who? Not a clue.

That is why I believe the beads probally were not valuable since they were not taken-at that time, this was back in the early 60's- my Mom did not have anything else worth anything back then. Later after all us kids were grown, she bought herself some really nice stuff. Ofcourse now that those beads are 100 years old or more-(my grandfather was born in 1896) they could be valuable even if they are just "costume".

Kathy - I LOVE that little bag. And that it belonged to your great-grandmother - OMG. I just love that kind of stuff. I would be using that bag for each & every occasion I possibly could. A LBD or LRD (little red dress) would be perfect.

Maybe stash it in some bubble wrap & stick it in your carry on. Definitely not in your checked luggage. :)

My mom had inherited a blue agate cameo brooch also-that belonged to my grandfather's aunt-(.

Actually, aside from the funky pieces I have a pretty nice collection of cameos from the turn of the century ( 1800's to 1900's ) because my great grandfather was a jewelery maker that specialized in gold and Cameo's and it seems that every generation has had only one girl. So I have inherited some really nice pieces. In fact my wedding ring that I put away when my hubby died and I remarried was a wide gold band that he made for my great grandmother and it is engraved on the inside with their wedding date in 1879 and I added ours in 1979 when we married.

I think heirloom pieces are true treasures.

I love vintage accessories! I have a vintage evening bag from the 1920's that I use for every formal event. It is black silk with tiny silvery beads. I get compliments every time I use it. I'll never have to buy another evening bag (more $ for shoes!!) I'm also a huge fan of vintage rhinestone jewelry.

Happy sailing and...shopping!

Actually, aside from the funky pieces I have a pretty nice collection of cameos from the turn of the century ( 1800's to 1900's ) because my great grandfather was a jewelery maker that specialized in gold and Cameo's and it seems that every generation has had only one girl. So I have inherited some really nice pieces. In fact my wedding ring that I put away when my hubby died and I remarried was a wide gold band that he made for my great grandmother and it is engraved on the inside with their wedding date in 1879 and I added ours in 1979 when we married.

I think heirloom pieces are true treasures.

You know I have always been attracted to cameos. I have a cameo ring and pendant I bought back in the late 70's early 80's. They were not vintage and most people were not into that-but I loved them. The pendant I had put on a necklace I have that is Add- a- pearl. You may be too young to remember this-but in the early 80's-it was poplular to buy a nice gold rope chain and add beads to it in 14K and some like me- added pearls.

I still wear that necklace from time to time. I wore it when I got married.

Kathy,

I think that purse might be great with a LBD!!

I love beaded items like that, they can be used so many different ways...

My only fear on items such as these is that I might damge them or lose them.

I am so chicken and sentimental about pieces such as these, I guess it takes to fun out of it for me.

Good for you that you have these and are able to use them !

BTW... I am so sorry to hear of your first husband.

That must have been horribly hard.

I am glad you remarried and are happy. He would want you to be I am sure.;)

Kathy,

I think that purse might be great with a LBD!!

I love beaded items like that, they can be used so many different ways...

My only fear on items such as these is that I might damge them or lose them.

I am so chicken and sentimental about pieces such as these, I guess it takes to fun out of it for me.

Good for you that you have these and are able to use them !

BTW... I am so sorry to hear of your first husband.

That must have been horribly hard.

I am glad you remarried and are happy. He would want you to be I am sure.;)

if it is a family heirloom-you may not want to use it-but that is why I like hitting the antique stores/vintage shops. there I find great stuff that belonged to someone else's grandma- since it does not have the sentimental attachement, I am not afraid to use it. I just feel sad for the family who let these wonderful things go.

Archived