Thoroughly Confused Over Panama Train

TCF

I have been reading the boards for about two hours now trying to nail down the facts about the Panama Canal Train Excursion. I have found few answers but have the questions much clearer!

We're on the Coral next April '07 for a partial transit of the Panama Canal.

I have decided that the "yeahs" have it as far as taking the domed/executive coach train excursion. Yes, it is very pricey but, it also seems to me to meet our needs. Mainly it has air conditioning!:D

But there are questions I have not been able to find answers to.

1.) Do you start the train excursion from Colon or do you get off the ship when it stops in the lake and take a bus to the train? It says it is a 5 1/2 hour excursion which means I think it is the latter but the excursion discription says otherwise. (Memo To Princess : Your shore excursion descriptions suck!!!):(

2.) Does the train take you BOTH ways? Everyone I have read on the CC boards says it does....the Princess excursions site says train one way/bus the other! Which is it? (Memo To Princess: See point 1.)

3.) Everyone says book early! How early can you book an excursion through Princess?:confused:

Thanks for any help!

Tom&Deb:)

This is an excerpt from the description of that shore excursion for our 12/2 Coral sailing:

Board your transportation for the short transfer from the tender dock to the Colon railroad station. ... Leave the Colon station on your approximately one-hour and 15-minute trip to the Pacific terminus ... Arriving on the Pacific Coast, board your air-conditioned transportation for a scenic drive ...

So, the itinerary is something like this:

1. Tender to shore (in Gatun Lake)

2. Bus to train station

3. Train w/dome car to Panama City

4. Scenic bus drive back

5. Re-boarding in Colon

TCCF i booked the doom car about 3-weeks ago for my 12/02 cruise on the coral, so princess opened up booking 120 days out ( from what i've read there are only 50 seats in the doom car so book early ) someone will post when excursion open up in ur rollcall board so be on the lookout around 120-days out :D

Dean

In 04 we did the Two Oceans by Railcar through Celebrity, but the train had all the other cruiseship passengers as well. As the description says, short ride from pier to Rail station. Transit to Panama City by rail car. Air-conditioned bus tour around the old military bases and Panama City. We reboarded the train back to Colon and the piers.

Archived