Jewel Repositioned?

7SeasLover

With 4 bombings in Istanbul today, what are the chances that NCL will reposition the Jewel? We leave for Istanbul in 40 days. I don't want to fly into a nightmare.

Only NCL Knows - if they do decide to move it what a logistical nightmare for those that booked their own air and for NCL reworking all those booked with them.

This sounds like rather minor skirmishes, and won't deter me from flying into Istanbul. It would be a logistical nightmare to change the port of embarkation. I'm more nervous flying into New York or Los Angeles than I am in this situation.

Bruce

This quote is taken from the BBC's news website following the injuries to British tourists in Marmaris (which is the other side of Turkey from Istanbul)

"Despite the attack, the Foreign Office's travel advice for the thousands of people who visit Turkey each week has remained largely unchanged.

It warns of a high terror threat, but does not dissuade people from travelling to the country."

In my opinion, unless there are further problems, NCL will continue with Istanbul as the embarkation port.

Only NCL Knows - if they do decide to move it what a logistical nightmare for those that booked their own air and for NCL reworking all those booked with them.

Have I been living on another planet (maybe Pluto :) )? This is the first I have heard about this. We will be on the Jewel leaving next Sunday from Barcelona and ending in Istanbul on 9/15. Where is everyone getting their information on this situation?

Have I been living on another planet (maybe Pluto :) )? This is the first I have heard about this. We will be on the Jewel leaving next Sunday from Barcelona and ending in Istanbul on 9/15. Where is everyone getting their information on this situation?

Since Americans werent' really involved, the U.S. media hasn't really covered this except for some play on CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/08/28/turkey.blasts/

It's getting a lot of coverage internationally, as one bomb location was a popular European vacation spot (although not on your itinerary, I don't think):

http://news.google.com/nwshp?hl=en&tab=wn&ncl=http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/08/28/turkey.blasts/&scoring=d

I am registered with the State Department to receive travel advisories and started this when the first bombs stuck parts of Turkey. So far, travel to Istanbul and Izmir (NCL's 2 ports of call) is ok.

I emailed a friend who lives in Istanbul proper and she hadn't even heard about the bombings! We emailed our hotel Armada and they said everything is fine where they are.

We leave for our cruise in 37 days. We are tooting around Istanbul for a couple of days prior to boarding the Jewel. So far, my plans remain unchanged.

Yes, I would worry about my flights since I booked outside of NCL. My TA assured me that NCL will not put us in harm's way. Let's hope things remain calm from now until after the Jewel leaves the Med.

I'm going to concentrate on packing! A fun thing to do.

I read this tonite:

In the major port city of Izmir, police yesterday detained a suspected member of the Kurdish separatist guerrilla group PKK they claimed was planning an attack there, and seized plastic explosives, the state news agency Anatolian reported.

The bombings are a blow to the Turkish tourist industry, which is worth £10bn a year. Almost 2 million Britons visit the country annually and there are currently thousands in the area around Marmaris. Beaches in the resort were quieter than usual yesterday as many people decided to stay in their hotels, and some began making plans to abort their holiday.

We are on the Sept. 27 sailing, this is definitely a little scary as Izmir is one of our ports.

I read this tonite:

In the major port city of Izmir, police yesterday detained a suspected member of the Kurdish separatist guerrilla group PKK they claimed was planning an attack there, and seized plastic explosives, the state news agency Anatolian reported.

The bombings are a blow to the Turkish tourist industry, which is worth £10bn a year. Almost 2 million Britons visit the country annually and there are currently thousands in the area around Marmaris. Beaches in the resort were quieter than usual yesterday as many people decided to stay in their hotels, and some began making plans to abort their holiday.

We are on the Sept. 27 sailing, this is definitely a little scary as Izmir is one of our ports.

I am just surprised that there is nothing at all about any of this on the NCL web site. They mention the tropical storm and its effect on sailings, but nothing about the situation in Turkey. I will be leaving on the Jewel this coming Sunday and will be in Izmir on Sept 13th and Istanbul on Sept 14th. We then fly home from Istanbul. It definately sounds to my family like this area would still be putting passengers "in harms way", since most attacks seem to be targeted at tourists. I totally understand the impact on NCL if they had to move from these last ports of call and make different air arrangements for all on board, but you would at least think they would be telling us something!

To respond to BILLP1's comment "Why would anyone be more nervous flying into New York or L.A. ? What am I missing here?" To my knowledge, there hasn't been people killed/injured by guerrilla bombs in recent days in New York or L.A....I think anyone could see the difference!

We have been in contact with the hotel in Istanbul (Armada) and they said they are fine. I emailed an acquaintence in Istanbul and she had not heard about any of the 4 bombings! She learned about them from me!

We are still planning on going. We trust all will be ok. I too keep looking at the NCL website. I'm sure they are monitoring the situation as well.

As for LA and NY, I'd say you can get killed easier on the LA freeways than by terrorist bombers! Still 4 bombs in one day is a bit much.

To respond to BILLP1's comment "Why would anyone be more nervous flying into New York or L.A. ? What am I missing here?" To my knowledge, there hasn't been people killed/injured by guerrilla bombs in recent days in New York or L.A....I think anyone could see the difference!

Texrose…. That’s kind of how terrorist attacks go. They don’t hit you when or where you are expecting them too. The next one might be in NYC or LA or anywere else in Europe. The next one is the one you need to worry about.

We are boarding the Jewel on the 15 September in Istanbul. A philosophical outlook on the whole situation…. You can sit at home safe in your house (if anyone is totally safe anywhere) and never experience anything. Or you can get out and live life. Minimize risk where possible but don’t let fear dictate how you live.

The Turkish government is a long term ally of the US. I have faith that the Turkish authorities are doing all they can to make a visit to Turkey safe. Just like the authorities in NYC did following the 9-11 attacks. British, Dutch, and German authorities all recently uncovered terrorist attacks. Not so long ago the Brits suffered thru multiple simultaneous attacks on their buses and subways. All governments are trying to cope with these cowardly surprise attacks. Why should we be anymore afraid to visit Turkey than anywhere else in Europe?

I wouldn't let the terrorist have the satisfaction of chasing my cruise ship away; Of course if the bombings continue that is a different thing.

As for NCL not posting anything on the website, if they do not intend to do anything different there would be no reason to post. My opinion only.

NMNita

I wouldn't let the terrorist have the satisfaction of chasing my cruise ship away; Of course if the bombings continue that is a different thing.

As for NCL not posting anything on the website, if they do not intend to do anything different there would be no reason to post. My opinion only.

NMNita

NMNita, I agree.....and of course with Sideways (how can I not, I am going with him). After I read about it in our little newspaper I went on the internet right away to get more information and then checked the US Gov't travel advisory website, no mention of Turkey. Do I feel paranoid, of course, but we are also flying on 9/11 from LA to NY and then to Turkey, so what should I be worried about more? I still feel confident that I will be boarding the ship in Istanbul on 9/15 and I'll love it!

The State Department issued the travel advisory today. I receive copies of such travel advisories. It confirmed 7 bombings. On the other hand, several folks in Istanbul proper have indicated that the bombings are not anywhere near where we are going to be.

Personall, I'm confident that all will be well. I'm going, hubby's going, everone of the cruise critic roll call is going. We're making plans, and yacking daily about our cruise. We are embarking in Istanbul and many of us are spending 3 and 4 days in Istanbul prior to the cruise.

NCL is not responsible for posting travel advisories. They are probably closely monitoring the situation. I feel certain we'll be just fine. And as was said earlier, if the bombings continue that's a different story.

If anyone wants a copy of the travel advisory, I'll be happy to email it. My addy is below, or... you can click on the website link to our roll call. The advisory is posted under information as is a message from one of our tour guides.

Archived