Lap Top Computer/Internet services aboard ship

bygoner

I just purchased a low end laptop computer (It is called a notebook, I guess). Don,t know a thing aqbout them. In any case am going to bring it on board the EOS on my 10/20/06 sailing. My question is: what type of connectors do I need to hook up the unit in my stateroom. Haven,t checked but assume they have internet connections in all the rooms. This is what I have for connection outlets on my computer:: Modem connector; network connector; video connector; 3 US B connectors and 2 audio connectors (for earphones, I think). The only connector that came with the unit was the adapter to hook up to an electric outlet. The unit also has batteries. If someone can enlighten me I would be very appreciative.:)

you need WIFI or wireless connectivity. I used mine last January on AOS but it was a real pain going through airport security, had to get it out and open it up.

IMHO, I would buy time on the ship, much easier.

I just purchased a low end laptop computer (It is called a notebook, I guess). Don,t know a thing aqbout them. In any case am going to bring it on board the EOS on my 10/20/06 sailing. My question is: what type of connectors do I need to hook up the unit in my stateroom. Haven,t checked but assume they have internet connections in all the rooms. This is what I have for connection outlets on my computer:: Modem connector; network connector; video connector; 3 US B connectors and 2 audio connectors (for earphones, I think). The only connector that came with the unit was the adapter to hook up to an electric outlet. The unit also has batteries. If someone can enlighten me I would be very appreciative.:)

to answer your question...you have the correct inputs for what you want to do.....you will need to go to the pursers desk early on and get a "kit" they have that will allow you to connect properly......enjoy

I brought my laptop on my Mariner trip last week. To be honest, next time, I will leave it at home. It was much easier to buy 150 minutes for $50 on the ship's computer than to try and connect mine and carry it to a "hot spot" where it could pick up the signal. As for in-room connection, unlimited minutes for $100, but it's very slow dial-up.

There are two different kinds of connections eluded to above.

One) Wi-Fi is available on all RCI ships, it's available in certain locations, is faster and requires that your laptop have 802.11b or 802.11g wireless capability. You can check your documentation to see if yours has it built in. If not, the ship has a few, first come, first served Wi-Fi cards that are available. I believe you will need to make sure that your laptop has a pcmcia port. The pricing is 50 cents/min, just like the ships computers, or there are a couple packages that will get the price down to 33 cents/min (150 minutes for $50 U. S.).

Two) Cyber-Cabin. This is a kit, again, first come, first served, that you get from the purser that connects between your telephone jack in your stateroom and your telephone and your computer's modem jack. It is a dial up connection and I noticed a post recently that said that individual got about a 44.6K baud connection. It's one price for the entire cruise and always on, I believe $100 for a 7 night. Very slow, and there are a lot who say that if it drops out, it takes forever to reconnect.

The advantage to having your own computer is that you can download photos every night and not have to worry about losing all your pictures if the camera hit the drink, or was misplaced/stolen. Disadvantage, it's a pain in the butt to haul a laptop and all its accessories, and trust me, after a while, you build up more stuff. My computer bag is the size of most carry ons, and is packed full when I travel. Don't get me wrong, I don't travel without my laptop, I love the thing.

Onboard, to avoid wasted charges. You log on and download your email, then log off. Read, clean up and write replies, then log on and send email, make sure you then log off and turn off your laptop. If you don't log off and just turn off the lap top, the ships computer may say you're still on and keep charging you. Saw one post where the user had a 1250 dollar U. S. bill for Wi-Fi. It's very remotely possible that if you overwhelm easily, you might want to wait and learn a little more before you get carried away with the computer onboard ship. Just a thought. Hope you have fun with it.

Thanks everyone! DH is a computer guy...in charge of our organization's (we work together) computer operations. He wants to bring his laptop just in case his ee's can't handle it. Very glad to hear he can access from his room if needed....maybe I can get a massage while he does work... :)

Do not waste time or money on cybercabin. I was on Mariner 2 weeks ago and paid the $100.00 for the week. I had used cybercabin before on 2 cruises with moderate success. This time it was a disaster! Took forever to connect. It was almost nonexistent when in port. After 3 days, I finally gave up and went to the purser. They credited back $60 to my account and then put $40 on the account for the cyber cafe (.50 a minute). What a difference. I never had a problem - easy and fast connections. Added benefit - there is a printer connected and I printed our plane boarding passes.

Next time, I will buy one of the packages. For the $100 for cybercabin I could have gotten 300 minutes.

Archived