2 inside dbl rooms or 1 obstructed-view quad??

cmacf1

I've been enjoying lurking on these boards, especially the family cruising threads. I've learned so much since I started reading!

Now I have a question: my MIL is very kindly taking the whole family (my DH and our 2 year and 4 year old girls and my SIL, BIL and their three teenagers) on a Christmas cruise on the Crown Princess. At the time she booked the cruise, there were no quads available at all, so she booked the 10 of us in 5 inside double rooms. My DH and I had to be booked separately, of course, each of us with one of the girls. This isn't what we originally wanted, but since no quads were available, we decided that a cruise sleeping separately was far better than no cruise. We wondered, if our rooms are next to each other as we requested, could we take a baby monitor and listen for any noise after we put the kids to bed? This has me worried because the 2 year old can climb out of the pack and play and could wreak havoc before we could get in there. And what if they learned how to unlock the door???? Also, I'm pretty sure that's against the rules. So, I had kind of figured that my DH and I would have to sleep separately.

Tonight I called Princess and lo and behold, there is a quad available (E302) that is on Emerald Deck, obstructed view. I would LOVE to have a window (of course I'd even more love to have a balcony, but the price difference for that is way too much.) The price difference for the obstructed view quad is negligible (< than $100.)

Here's my question: should we stay in the 2 inside rooms and have more total square footage, or should we quad-up and go for a window, albeit obstructed? What would you do??

We just cruised last week with our 5 and 3 year old. We had two rooms that connected. It was AWESOME! We had two bathrooms, which was nice. We had privacy as well. Once the room steward unlocked the connecting door it stays unlocked the whole cruise. It can shut though. We never shut ours, we just left it cracked open.

Good luck!

I've been enjoying lurking on these boards, especially the family cruising threads. I've learned so much since I started reading!

Now I have a question: my MIL is very kindly taking the whole family (my DH and our 2 year and 4 year old girls and my SIL, BIL and their three teenagers) on a Christmas cruise on the Crown Princess. At the time she booked the cruise, there were no quads available at all, so she booked the 10 of us in 5 inside double rooms. My DH and I had to be booked separately, of course, each of us with one of the girls. This isn't what we originally wanted, but since no quads were available, we decided that a cruise sleeping separately was far better than no cruise. We wondered, if our rooms are next to each other as we requested, could we take a baby monitor and listen for any noise after we put the kids to bed? This has me worried because the 2 year old can climb out of the pack and play and could wreak havoc before we could get in there. And what if they learned how to unlock the door???? Also, I'm pretty sure that's against the rules. So, I had kind of figured that my DH and I would have to sleep separately.

Tonight I called Princess and lo and behold, there is a quad available (E302) that is on Emerald Deck, obstructed view. I would LOVE to have a window (of course I'd even more love to have a balcony, but the price difference for that is way too much.) The price difference for the obstructed view quad is negligible (< than $100.)

Here's my question: should we stay in the 2 inside rooms and have more total square footage, or should we quad-up and go for a window, albeit obstructed? What would you do??

This is your personal choice really on what to do. Would you rather:

be in the same cabin with your husband and children with a window

or

do you prefer/need the extra square footage-- extra bath, storage etc-- provided by 2 separate cabins.

Whichever you choose, Christmas cruises are truly special and your family will enjoy it :)

I think that if you could get connecting rooms I would stay with the inside cabins. If they can't connect, I would go with the obstructed view and hunker down together.

We always cruise with the 4 of us in one cabin. It's never a problem and I enjoy spending time as a family!

It might help to remember if you go for the quad that you and your husband will be sleeping in bunk beds. Princess seems to have very few connecting rooms, so unless MIL booked one at the outset, it seems unlikely you will have two inside rooms that connect. Personally, I would probably go for the two rooms (more space) and just arrange to meet at "his place or mine" at our convenience. Which ever direction you choose to go have a great time!

Since you won't be able to leave the two year old in the kids' area, it might be nice to have a seperate cabin for the kids to watch tv and sleep and not be underfoot while you're trying to get ready, or for you and your husband to not have to be quiet while the kids are sleeping. Also, it would be nice to have two bathrooms (even for both you and your husband to be getting ready at the same time). However, E302 is a wonderful cabin, so it depends on how much romance you want on this trip.

Have a great cruise!

Best,

Mia

The room choice saga has ended. It seems that the Princess representative I spoke with the other night about the change of rooms did not tell me that E302 is a handicapped room. We are not physically handicapped (mentally maybe yes due to having a 2 and 4 year old!:p ) and I will not take away a handicapped cabin from someone who needs it. So we'll have the extra space and extra bathroom and grandma has offered to sleep in one room with the girls once or twice to give us a break from the kids. Thanks for the advice!

Archived