Warning about being waitlisted!

I am currently booked on the Explorer for the November repositioning to Miami from NJ. I booked the cruise while on another cruise and the reservation went over to my TA. I wasn't too crazy about that because my TA dosen't keep on top of things like I do (after all, it's my money I'm saving- not hers). But, I thought I wouldn't transfer it back to RC because she already knew about it by the time we returned from the cruise.

When we booked I wanted the Royal Family Suite for 7 ppl- of course it was not available and I had to book two connecting OV rooms. The RC rep waitlisted us and said we were the first people on the waitlist.

I knew that since final payment is due for our cruise that if the room was cancelled it would be now, so I have been on my TA about letting us know if she is informed. She reassured us that she would get a fax and we would have 24 hours to respond to the request.

Last night, while on with RC booking another couple I inquired about the Royal Family Suite and low and behold it was available. :eek:

I went through the whole story with the rep and was given the standard line of them not being able to help me becasue of the reservation being with a TA. They then informed me that the cabins with low quantities (Family Royal Suite and Royal Suites at least) did not have the same waitlist procedure.

When those cabins come available they do not inform the TA even if there is a waitlist. It is the responsibility of the TA to call daily and check the status of the room. Then I guess it is a first come first booked rule- and that includes ppl not on the waitlist.

Basically the PVP told me to have the TA call in the morning and if the room was still available she could swith over our booking.

Now the short of this long, long post is the fact that the waitlists are essentially not worth the paper they are written on:confused: . And, my TA should have known that was the way things worked for this type of cabin.

From now on I think we are skipping the TA all together.

We have a cruise booked for next year and used a PVP- when I noticed a price decrease I called RC and it was adjusted within minutes. The process with my TA would have taken hours.

Nothing against TAs, but with the availability of the RC web site and staff it dosen't make sense to not just do it yourself.

we booked 4 cruises this year and have a great experiance. no problems

always got the price reduction they even followed up ***** stockholder credits and visa rewards to make sure we got them.

I wouldn't use a ta for any reason- we always travel from driving distance and I don't see the need.

the next cruise will be the best one yet.

John

Well if it makes you feel better (and I'm sure it doesn't) it happened to us as well. We wanted a Jr. Suite for next March on the Jewel and none were available.........we asked to be waitlisted..........I was on the RC website one day........looked up our cruise and there they were.......jr suites available........I immediately called my ta. I believe more times than not, RC won't call........I don't blame my ta.........she would have eventually checked......I just happened to catch it like you..........I'm not sure there are things as a waiting list..........or this one like yours, slipped through the cracks.

That is not true. I just had a fax last week from RCCL on a Royal Suite that I had waitlisted. And I also have had customers call as you did and put the cabin they wanted on hold and I just transferred their booking with $$ on it to the new cabin.

That is not true. I just had a fax last week from RCCL on a Royal Suite that I had waitlisted. And I also have had customers call as you did and put the cabin they wanted on hold and I just transferred their booking with $$ on it to the new cabin.

From my experience last night RC basically road blocked me from doing anything because the reservation was with a TA. They would not do anything and redirected me to the TA for assistance.

Now, if the cabin became available last night my TA may have a fax today from RC informing her of the cabin availability- we have yet to hear one way or the other. But, RC gave me the impression that even though there was a waitlist for the room it was available for booking by anyone- essentially knocking out the waitlisted passengers.

So I have to know......was your TA able to get the Royal Family Suite???

We are waiting for the TA to open and then find out the pricing- we know what the cost would have been back in May- I'm sure it is higher now.

At the time we booked it would have cost us a total of $200 more to book 7 ppl in the suite as opposed to the two connecting OV rooms.

If the cabin was available last night you could have put a courtesy hold on it for 24 hours until you spoke to your TA this AM;) ...I have done that in the past and have been successful in getting the cabin I wanted. Even if it is during the day and you see a cabin on line that you want courtesy hold it and then call your TA:D ...Later, Jill:cool:

If the cabin was available last night you could have put a courtesy hold on it for 24 hours until you spoke to your TA this AM;) ...I have done that in the past and have been successful in getting the cabin I wanted. Even if it is during the day and you see a cabin on line that you want courtesy hold it and then call your TA:D ...Later, Jill:cool:

Normally, that would be the case- but since that room has to be booked through a PVP they would not put a courtesy hold on it- I do know why- but I was told that to hold the room we would have to pay the pp deposit of $450 each. And, because the final pay date is past the deposit is non refundable.

But, you are right about putting courtesy holds on rooms. I have done that for three other couples traveling with us and they had no problems.

It must vary by situation....we booked the Med 10/07 within a few days after the bookings became available, wanted an aft and had to settle for a lower level one, but wait-listed for what we consider to be THE D1 aft; lo and behold, RCCL called the TA about 6 weeks later, the TA held it until she could verify we still wanted it (a few hours) (ummmmmmmm as if LOL) and voila; that's where we are now! Granted it wasn't the RS, but it is to us! :D

Here's the deal on waitlist.

You book a cabin, deposit on the cabin and waitlist what you want, however, if what you want becomes available during the day someone can go in and book it. The waitlist are not done until night time and the cruise line will send a fax and there is 24 hrs to accept it. I'm sure it is done the same way if you book thru a travel agent or thru RCI yourself.

Archived