Basic Questions about SPF and Skin Protection

Leo Jay

I usually NEVER spend time laying out in the sun, so I'm completely uninformed about skin protection issues. I went to buy sunblock yesterday for my Carribean cruise, and I think I saw stuff from about SPF 8 to SPF 50. I had NO idea what to get. So I have a few basic questions, if anyone can help:

A higher SPF means more protection, so why would anyone use a lower SPF?

I know there's a formula that estimates -- based on the SPF -- how long you can stay out without getting burned, but don't you also have to factor in the intensity of the sun? Also, protection from burning doesn't necessarily mean you're not getting overexposed, right? Even if you don't burn, can't you still be at risk for skin damage/cancer? How do you know how much sun is too much?

One brand (Banana Boat, maybe?) had a regular version in SPF 15 and a version for babies that was SPF 40. Is there any reason an adult can't use a 'baby' version? What's the difference?

I've heard that some islands require you to use PABA-free sunblock. How do you know if it's PABA-free? None of the tubes I looked at made any reference to PABA either way.

Does brand really matter, or for any given SPF are they all pretty much the same?

Any info would be appreciated. :confused:

I've NEVER heard about laws regarding PABA!!! Something you shouldn't worry about! Since you never lie out in the sun, get the highest SPF you can find. If you want to get some color, get an SPF 15--and only stay out for an hour or so. Then find some shade. I don't see much reason to lie in the sun, if you're not going to tan a bit! I know, I know, the sun can damage your skin, but since this revelation by the dermatologists, we seem to be suffering from a Vitamin D deficiency!!!

Just remember, the farther south you go, the stronger the sun's rays will be, and the faster you will burn! Ouch!

Archived