Hawaii.. Rough seas???

nellie

I'm going on the PoAL in Sept. I was just wondering if the seas are like the caribbean or calmer or rougher. I wanted to go deep sea fishing but I have gotten sea sick in the caribbean and don't really want to experience that again. Thanks in advance.

We have done the Vancouver-Hawaii cruise (twice) and the Hawaii-Ensenada cruise (twice). All four of these cruises had VERY mild to calm seas and all four were in September/October. This year we're doing a RT from LA on Island Princess in December. I expect it will not be quite the same! Have a wonderful cruise.

nellie, my response to your question was about going on a FISHING BOAT and getting seasick. I think all other posts so far were in regards to the CRUISE SHIP.

I also don't agree with September being "PEAK STORM SEASON". It's true that hurricane season in the northern hemisphere is July through November and that would put September in the middle of hurricane season, however you're more likely to get stormy weather (though not hurricanes) in Jan-Mar. In Jan-Feb 2006, we had 45 straight days of rain (a very rare prolonged period of rain). I feel sorry for those folks who had trips to Hawaii planned during that period. FYI, the last hurricanes here were IWA (Nov 1984) and INIKI (9/11/1992). Iniki was one of 11 tropical storms in the central Pacific that year due to El Nino. (No El Nino this year, WHEW!) Chances are you won't see a hurricane on your visit.

I cruised on NCL Wind last September...We saw very little rain both on the ship and on land. Slight sprinkles in Hilo and Kauai. We're returning this year for a non-cruise island hopping vacation. Looking forward to any weather the islands have to give (we're visiting from Phoenix so I love rain!). :)

My friends went to Oahu in March of 2006...Rained the entire time. They were pretty disappointed.

As for the main question: I can't really answer as I've only been to Hawaii and not the Carribean. However I took a catamaran from Maui to Lana'i....ooooh I was pretty sea sick...However, I don't think that the sea was rough. Just a wavy ocean and I'm just prone to sea sickness. :o

Good luck with whatever you decide!

The band did mention it was the calmest they had ever seen the waters there. Reminded me of morning on a lake, very calm. And clear! Check out this shot of a wing protruding from the ship. The wake is from one of the forward port thrusters I believe.

Wing.jpg

... you're more likely to get stormy weather (though not hurricanes) in Jan-Mar. ...

And, while not tropical storms, these WINTER STORMS, while not necessairly cauisng rough seas, could be more likely to cause a poor cruise vacation experience.

was the only time my DH has ever gotten sea sick in his life. It was so rough that nearly everyone on the boat was sick (dive really should have been scrubbed). I had taken meds for it and was fine. Had a really good selection of sandwiches and whatnot, since I was the only one able to eat. Once we got into the water, everyone was okay. The captain wisely moved us to a less scenic, but calmer spot and nearly everyone recovered their sea legs after that. if nothing else, it gave the DH a health respect for motion sickness.

Charlie

My experience, the POH is so big and stabilized that unless there is a storm, you won't feel anything. The Captain mentioned that when we were leaving one of the ports, we would be heading into a rougher sea for about 1 hour until we hit calmer waters, no one knew anything about it. Unless there is a strom, you would have to work real hard to get sick on this ship.

Archived