Changing destinations/itineraries--opinions??

Angela4cruiser

Please can I get some opnions on this: we were going to the Mediterranean for a RCCL cruise originally next summer and I am having doubts because of the expense to get over there and to visit for an extra week or two. This is for five people!! I am thinking I should try out the new Freedom ship or the Liberty on an Eastern Caribbean run instead, the airfare is so much cheaper, but of course a totally difference cruising experience. The cost of the two ships is almost the same though. Any opinions on this???

Angela you have to go with your own flow. We had originally booked the Med for next fall, but decided to stay closer to home. We are doing the Canada/New England on Explorer. It just fit us better this time. Maybe later on we will be ready for the Med trip. I would say go with what suits you and your family--time wise, financial wise and peace- in -your -heart -wise. Either way you are cruising and who could ask for more!

Well, only you can decide whether you can afford the trip, but for me the Med wins hands down. I love the region and the food and find the history fascinating. The Caribbean is more of a water sports-oriented frolic that has its own charm but isn't as interesting to me. Not that I'm not looking forward to being there this winter, mind you, but if somebody dangled Italy, Spain & Greece in front of me, I think I'd be changing my reservation.

The reason why I am having trouble making this decision is because our oldest is graduating from high school next year and it would be so nice to take him to "Europe" for the first time with all of us together and he wants to meet his distant relatives--so I feel guilty if I don't do this for the kids. Financially, it would probably save us $10,000 if we stay closer to home. We have already taken the kids on the Western Caribbean a couple of years ago, would the Eastern Caribbean itinerary be interesting enough for them? The new ship would certainly be wonderful.

The Eastern Caribbean islands have different activities than the Western and they look different. I in fact prefer Eastern Caribbean over Western. Which Med cruise were you looking at? If it's the difference between a 12 day Med and a Caribbean, the longer cruise is soo worth it.

The reason why I am having trouble making this decision is because our oldest is graduating from high school next year and it would be so nice to take him to "Europe" for the first time with all of us together and he wants to meet his distant relatives--so I feel guilty if I don't do this for the kids. Financially, it would probably save us $10,000 if we stay closer to home. We have already taken the kids on the Western Caribbean a couple of years ago, would the Eastern Caribbean itinerary be interesting enough for them? The new ship would certainly be wonderful.

Ungrateful little brat that I am.....

I'd so make you feel guilty if I were your kid and you "only" took me to the Caribbean instead of to Europe to meet my long-lost family!;)

All kidding aside, even though $10,000 is, well, a boatload of money, it could be the experience of a lifetime for the entire family. I just don't get that feeling from a Caribbean cruise. But as I said before, only you can decide whether you can afford it and whether it would be "worth" it.

I think that you ought to do what you'd be most comfortable with. If you have college expenses coming up, and you would worry about the money you were spending the whole time you were in the Med, and would not worry, would enjoy your familyand vacation more if you were in the Caribbean, then you should go with your best feelings. Guilt is not necessary..........:D The kids can get great jobs and take YOU on a Mediterranean Cruise!!! (Being a Mom is never easy)

We like the Eastern Caribbean better than the Western. We felt more like we were in "exotic" places. Of course, the Med is full of history and beauty in a much more sophisticated way.

We traded a cruise to Hawaii last year, for a cruise we had booked to the Med, for travel hassle reasons. It was easier to get to Los Angeles than it was to get to Venice. We are still looking forward to sailing in the Med, maybe next year............we're looking again.........

Whatever you choose, I hope you have a wonderful time!

Hi Angela4cruiser,

Hope you have a great time! I wish I could drag my DH away for some of those shorter coastals...................sound like fun to me.

Please write after your cruise on the Dawn and let us know how the ship is. We've been on the Sun before, but not the Dawn...............are looking forward to our cruise this fall!

DD

Europe is more than a trip. It is a life experience, it will really open young people's eye and mind. If you have to save and cut expenses (like forget your two nighter cruise and take sandwich to work everyday for the next year.. I would do that just for the kid bennifit.

As you said, your son is graduating high school, I don't think you will ever have another family vacation after he start college. This is the only time you still have him under your control.:eek:

Caribbean is a vacation

Europe is a life lesson.

When my oldest graduated from high school we took a western caribbean cruise for 7 days. (he was leaving for the Marine corp a few weeks after we got back)

for 10,000 dollars difference wow-- I could cruise 5 times with my family for that price difference.

For me--and the kids- it doesnt matter where we go as long as we were together for a vacation as a family.

I should add that our family has been together on two cruises - one was Western Caribbean in 04 and one last Dec on Mexican Riviera. The kids know how cruising is and enjoy. The cost for Europe is very high because of plane travel I would say three times the price per person compared to flying to Florida from where we live. It would take more than eating sandwiches for a few months at lunch to allow for the cost increase in airfares! We planned to take the Voyager in Barcelona for 7 days stopping in Paris and probably flying in to London first.:confused: :o :)

Archived