Car Rental in Miami

emen822

Has anyone rented a car pre or post-cruise from Miami? I need to rent a car post cruise and was wondering what was the closest agency to the pier. Preferably I would like one that has a shuttle from the pier to the agency. Or are the closest ones at the airport? Thanks in advance.

Avis has a downtown Miami location 5 minutes from Port of Miami. They do not offer a shuttle but the cab ride is only $7. You'll be in your rental car heading to your destination while others are waiting for the free shuttle bus to arrive.;)

AVIS Downtown Miami - M6I

99 Southeast 2nd Street, (at Southeast 1st Avenue),

Miami, FL 33131 , U S A

305-379-1317

Sun 08:00AM-04:00PM; Mon-Fri 08:00AM-06:00PM; Sat 08:00AM-04:00PM

www.avis.com

That's twice you helped me with my Florida questions. :D

Since you seem to know the area well, we are planning to fly into FLL the day before our cruise. We don't want to rent a car just for the one day (or would it be worth it?). Would you suggest that we spend the day in FLL or stay at a hotel in Miami since that is where our cruise leaves from. Also, do you know of any hotels that have a shuttle to the pier? Since we will have one full day, a hotel with a nice pool and restaurants nearby would be perfect. Sorry for all the questions :confused: and thanks again for all your help. :)

For our cruise in May 2005, we rented a car at the FLL airport, stayed at a hotel in Miami, and turned in the car at the hotel. Check around for rental agencies that have hotel drop-off locations.

Most agencies have shuttles at the airport and at the cruise port.

Enterprise is in the downtown Hyatt 400 SE 2nd ave. and they have shuttle service to the port. Beware... oneway rentals to an airport carry a $50 oneway fee.

Happy Cruising

Are you sure about that? We rented a car in Miami last Dec and dropped it off at the Orlando Airport; no drop off fee. In fact we have done this many times. NMNia

That's twice you helped me with my Florida questions. :D

Since you seem to know the area well, we are planning to fly into FLL the day before our cruise. We don't want to rent a car just for the one day (or would it be worth it?). Would you suggest that we spend the day in FLL or stay at a hotel in Miami since that is where our cruise leaves from. Also, do you know of any hotels that have a shuttle to the pier? Since we will have one full day, a hotel with a nice pool and restaurants nearby would be perfect. Sorry for all the questions :confused: and thanks again for all your help. :)

If it were up to me I'd take the Tri-County Airport Express shuttle from FLL ($18 per person) to a downtown Miami hotel. The Marriott Biscayne Bay is a nice property as is the Intercontinental. Staying downtown, a short cab ride to the port is a good bet, less the $10 for the ride (not per person).

Since there are 4 of us, the $18 pp shuttle would be more expensive than renting a car for the day. Since we have never been to Fort Lauderdale or Miami (what sheltered lives we live!), having the car might be nice to drive around a bit. So now I have to figure out which car rental and which hotel. Basically, I'm back to square one. :rolleyes:

In Florida, the major car rental agencies do not charge a one-way drop off fee. :rolleyes:

I know Enterprise does charge this fee, and I thought it was across the board. We are using Enterprise for our cruise in April 2007 because they offer a free shuttle to the port, but the return to the airport is costing us nearly as much as the 2 day pre cruise rental because of this fee. I may have to use a different company to get back to the airport now.

Off to look into this.

Happy Cruising

that I just got from Enterprise re: one way rental fees:

As a rule, Enterprise does not specialize in state-to-state or city-to-city one-way rentals. However, some Enterprise offices can, on occasion, accommodate your needs in this area. One-way rentals are not available online. Please contact 1-800-RENT-A-CAR (1-800-736-8222) to speak with a representative regarding this one-way rental. Thank you for contacting Enterprise!

I just got off the phone with them and I asked if this fee could be waived and I was told they would not waive it for me. I canceled my reservation and am now booked with Avis.

I could not believe they would rather lose a 2 day rental as well as a 1 day rental than waive the fee... such is life

Archived