Would like the opinion of this experienced group

I am also severely hear impaired as I lost my hearing when I was 3 when I got shingles. I have a 90% hearing loss in my left ear and about 50% in my right. So I have the problem that if anyone is talking to me on my left side, I either don't hear them or it comes through to me as mumbled. I do read lips very well. Since this has been a lifelong thing for me I am very up front with people when I first meet them. I would rather let them know right away as I find most people will then look at me directly when they are talking to me which is a great help for me. You will be fine!!!

Sue

Hey, my son is 29 also and has been profoundly deaf since 10 months when he had meningitis. He met his wife who is also deaf at Gallaudet and they were married onboard a cruise ship. They have to use sign language, but it has never been a problem for them to communicate. Everyone just bent over backwards to help them. They have been on 4 cruises so far and wouild love to go again.

If you need it, be sure to ask the cruise ship for the "deaf kit". It consists of a door knocker, flashing alarm clock and closed captioning device for the TV if it is not already equipped for it as well as a TDD so you can call for room service, etc.

I didn't realize you could get "deaf kits"... my cousin has been deaf since birth (she is 29 now) and this is good to know.

I am a person who does not speak loudly and so I would definately want to know if someone had a hearing problem. I would not think anything of it and would speak directly to them and louder if needed. As you can see many people have hearing loss... don't feel alone cuz you're not!

I have no discernable hearing loss, but with all the background noise in the dining room, I have trouble hearing conversation very often. By all means, be honest and forthright with your tablemates. I can't imagine that they would be anything but kind and understanding of your difficulty.

Have a great time.

RCCL is very helpful to people with special needs. My father is both legally blind and wears hearing aids in both ears. When booking a cruise, my TA lets RCCL (and the other lines we've used as well) (oops - forgot I wasn't supposed to mention them!) know that we need a table in a quiet place near the door. It's very challenging for him to try to negotiate a noisy, crowded dining room.

You may be uncomfortable calling attention to yourself by asking for this kind of special seating. But don't forget, the cruise line WANTS you to have a good experience so you'll book with them again.

If your TA is any good at all s/he will be more than happy to make the call for you. You'll probably be told that they can't guarantee a special table, but we've never had the problem.

If you wait until you get on the ship, it can be a bit more difficult to change.

Be sure to go to the dining room the first afternoon to find out where your table is!

DH is stone deaf in his left ear. He always tells people this the first time he meets them so they don't think he is being rude if he doesn't answer a question, answers inappropriately or keeps talking when someone else is talking. For us, a 6-top is best as any larger makes it impossible for him to carry on conversations. I hope no one is offended that he insists on sitting in a certain seat at the table each night so that he can best tune-in to the rest of the table.

DH is stone deaf in his left ear. He always tells people this the first time he meets them so they don't think he is being rude if he doesn't answer a question, answers inappropriately or keeps talking when someone else is talking. For us, a 6-top is best as any larger makes it impossible for him to carry on conversations. I hope no one is offended that he insists on sitting in a certain seat at the table each night so that he can best tune-in to the rest of the table.

No one I know would object in the slightest, especially if it helps him enjoy and join in the conversation. My sister also has some hearing loss, and we've discussed how often we simply nod, smile, or what have you when we don't hear something (or don't hear it clearly). I definitely find myself simply withdrawing from the conversation when there are people I don't know at the table (or wherever). It's just so much hassle sometimes, especially with strangers who don't know me well. That's why I think it's best to just state your needs right up front. Anyone who is offended by them is probably not someone you want to spend a week with at the dinner table!

beachchick

Beachchic, it is so easy for me to do exactly what you describe (withdraw from the conversations) because its "easier" but it's also lonely for me. I know it can be a hastle to communicate with me,especially for those that are around me all the time - DH and my boss. They must constantly repeat themselves if they start talking before I am looking at them etc. However I am blessed that they both are so patient, especially my boss. If it wasn't for his patience I probably wouldn't be able to still work.

I really appreciate everyones comments and encouragement. I'm going to stop worrying about the "first night at dinner", take the actions that I can to make it the best situation possible and leave the rest up to God. :)

OP, I have a fairly bad hearing loss that mostly manifests in the speaking frequencies. This is because I was invincible when I joined the Navy and ignored all the warnings about wearing hearing protection in the engine room. That said, my wife tells me it's selective hearing, LOL. I have simply explained to my table mates that I sometimes, if the ambient noise level is high, have to see them in order to understand what they're saying and ask them to not be offended if I ask them to repeat themselves. I've been very lucky by just telling my tablemates this up front, they have been very accomodating so far. I think you will have a wonderful time, and find that most folks are quite understanding.

As we age or because of problems that we can not help we may become hearing impaired. In this society everything is bam, bam, bam and we expect everything instantly...gone are the graces of yesteryear. That being said I would tell the people at my table that I am hearing impaired, and perhaps a reminder or two (with the grace that I feel you have) during the cruise. But please know, that people on the whole are into themselves and tend to forget if they are excited about something they are talking about. But in general most will be happy to repeat something. Use your survival skills and one of them is speaking up and not being timid about the fact that you didn't hear what was just said. Funny, but I don't think a man would ever ask the question you did...you've come a long way, baby!

Archived