2 Important questions about Bermuda

Coter

Hello all,

My girlfriend and I are sailing to Bermuda on 9/26/04 and I have 2 important questions.

1.) Do you need a passport or birth certificate to sail to Bermuda? Some people tell me I do, some people tell me I just need my drivers license. I’m not sure which one to believe.

2.) Is the end of September hurricane season, and if so, is it worth paying the $120 for traveler’s insurance?

Thanks for your help!

-Ryan

I can only answer your second question. Yes, it is hurricane season and August and September are prime months. It's worth it for the insurance if you ask me.

As for your first question, I don't know for sure, but if you have a passport just bring it, if not then bring your driver's license and your birth certificate. I'm sure you must need at least that, you're leaving the U.S.

Actually if you don't have a passport, I would suggest getting one. It's not that much of a hassle and it's worth having.

We just returned from Bermuda. We had passports, however. here is the information my TA gave me: " A birth certificate (original or a certified copy), plus a picture ID card issued by a federal, state or local government agency is required. Social security cards and voters registration cards are not considered to be proof of citizenship. " Most people use drivers licenses for the photo id. If you have a birth certificate with a raised seal, that would be the best way to go. We did get travel insurance even though we were going in June.....more concerned about family medical emergency etc that would have prevented us from taking the trip. My luck if I didnt get it, one of us would have been in a car accident and broken a leg or something!!! Or a death in the family....

Have a great time. Bermuda is gorgeous.

This verifies the above information and is from our Dept of State's website:

http://travel.state.gov/bermuda.html

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS: U.S. citizens entering Bermuda must present a U.S. passport or a certified U.S. birth certificate, and photo identification. The Consulate strongly recommends that visitors travel with a valid passport at all times. A U.S. driver's license or a voter registration card is not sufficient for entry into Bermuda.

We just were on the NCL Crown THE and I mean The only time we actualy needed anything but the ships id card was getting on the ship in NYC. Yes they did tell you to carry a government issued picture id when you left the ship but no one of the Bermudian guards looked at that either getting off or on the ship. The Ship did swipe your ships id each time(which has your picture in the ships computer) and that is looked at. The only time you will need the birth cetificate or a passport after you check in and board is if you must leave the ship for some reason and make your own way back to the US. Without an official id you will have problems....Non US citizens will be made to come and pass immigration before entering the US again....

Archived