Fun Pass - Do I really need one

Cruiser_Rich

The Fun Pass advertises convenience for embarkment and satisfies Homeland Security requirements. Sound like the real advantage is saving time boarding. Since we will be staying in Miami the night before departure we will be at the Triumph’s dock waiting for them to let us in on cruise day. I’m guessing we shouldn’t have much of a waiting line being there so early. So aside from having our boarding information recorded prior to embarkment I don’t really need the Fun Pass, do I and won’t most everyone else have one too? Am I missing something.

The Fun Pass advertises convenience for embarkment and satisfies Homeland Security requirements. Sound like the real advantage is saving time boarding. Since we will be staying in Miami the night before departure we will be at the Triumph’s dock waiting for them to let us in on cruise day. I’m guessing we shouldn’t have much of a waiting line being there so early. So aside from having our boarding information recorded prior to embarkment I don’t really need the Fun Pass, do I and won’t most everyone else have one too? Am I missing something.

Fill it out now, fill it out at the pier - your choice, I prefer to do it at home so I don't have to use my time filling things out whan I can be chatting and enjoying my families and friends company.

They are required by law to give the information on the funpass to homeland security 4 days prior to sailing. While they won't turn you away at the pier, if you can I would do it beforehand there's always a chance you may get held up.

Don't fill it out and you will watch many people walk past you as you stand in the HOT terminal getting checked in. For those that fill out their Fun Pass, there is a sign on the wall with arrows that say Fun Pass this way. Head right past the Xray machines and up the excalators.

The number one thing is that The Fun Pass is your PRE-REGISTRATION !!! meaning that if you lost your Docs at the airport or left them in the Cab, they will allow you boarding because you already pre-registered in their computer.

Fred

Guest YesitDonna

I'm wondering why someone WOULDN'T want to have it all filled out prior to sailing unless they didn't have access to a computer. Obviously they do.

As Wennfred pointed out so eloquently, you can sit at the comfort of your computer and punch in name, address, phone number, passport number, arrival information on every person on your document, in a nice airconditioned home. OR....you can stand at the counter, with people passing you, trying to juggle carry on luggage, digging for passports, writing down name, address, phone numbers on every single person....etc etc etc in less than perfect atmospheric conditions.

The choice is yours.

BTW, Rich, I'm assuming you're asking that if you have already filled out the funpass, and as long as your documents indicate completed, and your asking if you physically need to have the funpass with you, the answer is....

NO, you don't

I've never needed to show it to anyone.

Unfortuneately in May in Galveston, the Non-Funpass line was SIGNIFICANTLY shorter...

Which later flip-flopped as the time spent at desk was waaaaay shorter for funpass folk...

I completely agree with mrdood...our whole party completed the FunPass (at my insistence) and then stood in a LONG line in Galveston last July...

Carnival had two lines set up...FunPass and Non FunPass...the Carnival employees were telling everyone "either line, either line" as we approached...filling out the FunPass saved us zero time (and I had to hear about it from my party through the whole line):mad:

I obviously asked my question incorrectly as most of you thought I did't want to prepare the FP, not the case at all. I really wanted to know if it was mandatory and was there an advantage to doing so. I actually had much of mine completed just need some additional pass port info. Don't worry I'll be in the FunPass line, and as stated in my opening post as early as they open the doors to avoid some of the crowd. Anyone know what time they let you on board. Thanks for you responses.

A couple of the cruise lines are requiring this pre-registration at least two weeks before the cruise now. For guests without internet, they provide a sheet to mail in or ask the TA to assist. This is the wave of the future. It's going to become more and more about Homeland Security and less and less about priority embarkation as year pass. Then cruisers will think that's the only way it's done, and just argue about what they'll wear on the cruise, saving deck chairs, and smuggling liquor!

I am sure that not doing so red flags TSA, just as walk up tickets for flying red flags you with the dreaded SSSS on your boarding pass.

If you think about it, TSA wants to know who is who before departure, both flying and sailing.

If you don't want to do it, they're going to wonder why.

Wouldn't you?

So, for the sake of fun, lets just say there's less chance of a total shakedown and anal prob from TSA if you do before arriving at the pier. Also less chance of them seaching your luggage and finding that bottle of contraband liquor.

The number one thing is that The Fun Pass is your PRE-REGISTRATION !!! meaning that if you lost your Docs at the airport or left them in the Cab, they will allow you boarding because you already pre-registered in their computer.

Fred

Huh? Pre-registering allows you to board without your travel docs? Doesn't sound right. Are you sure?

Huh? Pre-registering allows you to board without your travel docs? Doesn't sound right. Are you sure?

It's true. When I've had a cabin with a last minute change in guest, a last minute change in room, or simply missing documents, Carnival has said the Fun Pass is all they need!

While I am sure this is something that Carnival does not like to advertise, I have read many threads where this has happened (someone lost their docs on the way to the ship) and because their Fun Pass was complete...they did not have as much of a hassle to get onboard. Now I am certain there is still "some" hassle...just not as much!!

Archived