Lifeboat drill question

knighthawke

Just wondering.....(and trying to remember from my last cruises), but...will the cruiseline know is ALL your part is at the drill? I mean, I seem to recall all they do is call out your cabin number andyou say "HERE". I'm sailing with two 1 year old twins...and the last thing I want to do is put them through that mess. I figure . mom and the kids can rest in the cabin while daddy goes through the whole drill bit.

When my family cruised on RCL about 5 years ago, they had a crewmember standing by the muster station checking off your cabin # as you arrived (they were printed on your life vest). If you missed it, you were called the next morning and had to complete the drill then.

We just arrived back from an Alaskan cruise on the Sun, and there was no one checking off cabin numbers as we arrived at the muster station, and I did not hear any further announcements regarding passengers who missed it!!

My theory would be to take the whole family anyway...so the children hopefully won't freak out if you really do need to put on the life vest! :eek:

I would think that all cruise lines require all members of the family to attend!

Good luck, and have a great cruise!!

we have only been on princess and I was wondering if NCL does their the same way.

On princess you go to your muster station....while you at the station I think they check your room so that is their roll call, they show you how to put on a life jacket and then you go back to your room.

I have heard on some cruiselines they make you go to the life boat....does NCL do this? Thanx

All cruise lines do require all members to attend; they may be checking off numbers as you come on deck or may be just looking for the number on your life jacket. I have a gut feeling they would knock on your cabin door is someone misses the drill. Believe me, many of us might want to but I just don't think it would work.

Nita

We were on the Spirit 8/13, and they absolutely checked off EACH name in the party off their lists, not just cabin numbers.

On the Spirit at least, they also muster AT the lifeboats, and it was like being hearded like cattle on the promenade deck, especially if you showed up on time, like we did, and waited 30 minutes or so for the inconsiderate passengers to wander along.

We've sailed Princess before, on the Ocean Princess (which now sails under a different name on their sister line) they mustered inside in the common areas, it seemed much more organized and pleasant than the way they hearded 2000 people onto the promenade on the Spirit.

On the Jewel last year, our muster station was one of the dining rooms and when we got there, our names were checked off a list. We all had to show up, but it was pretty fast and we were able to sit at a dining table while we listened to the instructions and put on our vests and of course, listened to the usual jokers blowing on their whistles.:eek:

of course' date=' listened to the usual jokers blowing on their whistles.:eek:[/quote']

My favorite and it only happened on one cruise, the muster leader said to the joker, "You can go ahead and blow the whistle if you want, just think about how many other mouths have been on that same whistle."

SILENCE :)

of course' date=' listened to the usual jokers blowing on their whistles.:eek:[/quote']

My favorite and it only happened on one cruise, the muster leader said to the joker, "You can go ahead and blow the whistle if you want, just think about how many other mouths have been on that same whistle."

SILENCE :)

On both of our NCL cruises they checked us off as we arrived. We have five children of all ages so I can appreciate why you'd like to aviod this. On the first one two years ago I had our 10 week old daughter in my arms. Once they check off our names I was told that I could skip the drill with my daughter.

Tim

I figure . mom and the kids can rest in the cabin while daddy goes through the whole drill bit.

Why doesn't mommy do the drill and dad rest?

I can't believe that someone would actually want to miss a drill that COULD save your life.

Baffles me...

We have always found the crew on all our cruises to be helpful with our children if need be and try to make it as quick as possible. One thing I have found is it is hard to carry a child when they and you are in life jackets.

We were just on the Pride of Aloha, and missed the embarkation drill (not yet on the ship). We also missed the drill the next day (on excursion), but there was no follow up. No one came knocking on our door.

There is a channel on the TV that displayed all the information, so we watched that instead. I'm sure that doesn't count to the cruiselines, but it helped us understand where our station was, and what to do, how to put on the lifejackets, etc.

On our last trip on the Dawn my wife was not feeling well when we arrived. I went to the drill while she was trying to rest. She said that a cabin Stewart checked the room and she faked being asleep. The cabin Stewart did not bother her but she never missed one after that. I also think when people don’t show it delays the process, each muster captain must check in stating all members are present when they are not they may check the cabin, As for your children I think it would be a good Idea to attend, at least you will know the difficulties you will face preparing them in advance should a problem arise.

Archived