Spruce Beer ? in Halifax

Spruce beer in Canada, according to several web sites, is usually an alocholic beverage. My best guess, if it is available, is a pub, of which there are a ton. I would try Maxwell's Plum at 1600 Grafton Street. I spent quite a few evenings there last July, trying to work my way through their 60 beers on tap:p . They also have something like 120 beers in bottles. If anybody puts out a spruce beer, they would have it. I found a blueberry beer when I was there. Also, try to sit near the bottemless barrel of peanuts so you don't have to keep getting up to refill your basket.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone ! Love to know if it is available. I did find a web-site that sells it - They seems to sell a ton of different old, not produced any longer types of soda, but I'm not going to buy one little bottle with big $ + shipping & handling...I really don't think I want a whole case either. Just a swig.....

The only place you're going to find non-alcoholic spruce beer is in Quebec. I believe CRUSH makes one of the only surviving brands. There may also be some generic supermarket brands out there.

I grew up on the stuff too, as half of my family is from Montreal. The stuff you find now is a lot sweeter than the stuff we drank as kids, but still offers that unique pine flavor. When we visit our relatives, we bring back several bottles, and still get kicks out of watching people try it for the first time.

To my knowledge, I don't think there is any source for ordering it and having it shipped outside of Quebec. We like it so much, I'm considering making my own at home. Rainbow Flavorings has an extract for making spruce beer at home. The process seems pretty simple, so we're thinking about giving it a try.

Archived