Rethinking Bringing a Collapsable Cooler on Carnival Holiday in December

soapeaches

We always bring a softsided cube-shaped cooler - sometimes packing it in the checked luggage, sometimes not. and I ALWAYS bring a half-case or so of my hometown beer which is never stocked on board - just pack it in the checked luggage, with the sodas.

The refrigerators are simply too inadequate to even cool a bottle of water. We have NEVER had a problem with getting the stweard to keep the ice topped off. I also learn where the ice machines are, the first day on board.

I still give Carnival plenty of bar business - but at the end of the day, I want to settle down with a Yuengling (that hometown beer).

Having said that, I, too, have seen people roll quite large, full coolers on board at embarkation, though I could not see what they were full of. Carnival is pretty tolerant... one of the reasons I keep coming back.

I have a great idea. Take the cooler and leave the toddler home. That way you'll all have fun and the baby will get to visit with grandma and grandpa.

[COLOR=black]We're taking both the cooler and the toddler cause it's a family vacation. The "Grands" (Grandmama, Granddaddy, and Grand Uncle) are all going on the trip. We look forward to enjoying spending time with our family.

Since there are no small refrigerators in the cabins, we plan on using the cooler for the convenience of being able to get a cold drink in our cabin without having to troop up to the Lido deck or wait for room service. Also, some in our party do not drink Coke products and prefer Pepsi.

I am sure we will probaby get soft drink cards for those who do drink Coke so Carnival will not suffer any monetary loss for the few bottles of Pepsi and water we plan on bringing on board.

We were thinking about bringing a small pool, but now that we think about it the weather will probably not be warm enough for the baby to be out on the deck. Our reasoning for bringing the pool is the baby is not toilet trained yet and we really were doing it more as a courtesy to others. I for one would rather not be in a pool or hot tub where someone's little darling has urinated or even worse in the water.[/color]

how do you plan on filling the little ones pool up?

I thought the same thing after reading this post. Nevermind the Clampett-like cooler, how are you going to fill the pool? I have visions of a garden hose hooked to the shower stall, out the door, up 5 flights of stairs, across the lido deck to the pool. Inquiring minds want to know....and mine too.

When we were thinking of bringing along a very, very small blow up pool to use up on deck the issue of hygiene was our main concern. We did not wish to gross out fellow passengers if and when our very own little teabag (granddaughter) should step into the pool area wearing a swim suit equipped with requisite swim diaper and make a bee line for the kiddie pool.

First off we got the idea from other posters who have used the blow up pools on other cruises. We personally have not used one since this is our first cruise with the kid. What info we were able to glean from other posters is that a very, very small blow up pool is used in an out of the way spot up on the pool deck. We were also under the impression that the pool deck personnel would possibly assist us in filling and emptying the little pool. Of course, for such assistance we would be very happy to tip anyone assisting us in helping make our granddaughter's cruise experience an enjoyable one.

I try to travel as light as I can. One year I will never forget back in the 80s, I had all my luggage, video camera case, liquor, and what we bought on the cruise. Trying to get off the ship with all of that I said never again. I see some people now and I just smile, been there done that.

I just won a backpack cooler I plan to take. It will be my carryon, without the drinks.. :) I will pack it for the islands the night before with cold water and snacks and beach stuff. I figure I can get a few water bottles and some fruit in it.. then fill the backpack with beach items.. i will just see. I took a beach back with drinks last cruise and stuff got wet. Figure the cooler on the bottom will prevent that.

Please don't take fruit with you on the islands. Please only take prepackaged items to eat.

There are rules regarding removing food from the ships, please follow those. Nothing like detroying a ecological area with a blight or a parasite that trooped in in your banana.

I just bought a collapsable cooler at Sam's Club yesterday and thought I might use it on our cruise in December. We will have 5 adults and a toddler. Some of the adults prefer Pepsi products (i.e. caffiene-free) and beer. I know the beer is a no-no, but sodas and bottled water in reasonable amounts would really be convenient and save money. I would like to use the cooler, but I'm really afraid we might come off looking like the Clampets go on a vacation. Would really like to hear your experiences and thoughts on using the collapsable cooler. Thanks.

Just thinking about all the stuff we are going to have carry in addition to regular luggage because we are traveling with a toddler (PackNPlay, umbrella stroller, blow-up wading pool, large box of disposable diapers, etc.) I am seriously rethinking the cooler.

I think I will just tell everyone to just suck it up and either buy a soda card and drink Coke products or get ready to love free water, tea and lemonade. Going to have to remind everyone the reason we chose this cruise was to save money so don't go drinking away the savings at the bar.

We do have one good thing in that we are close enough to Mobile to be able to drive down there. So if you see an SUV loaded to the gills pulling into the terminal and all the porters running for their lives it's us. My husband has convinced me to buy a regular suitcase and forgo my usual choice of large black garbage bags for luggage.

Don't know if you've cruised with carnival before (you don't say), but the ships have children's pools 1 to 2 ft deep. Never saw anyone bring their own pool on board. don't know if it wld even be allowed, in fact. i wld think there wld be definite safety, insurance and liability issues that wld prohibit it. you can give your child a quick dip in the pool in your arms, or hold him or her in your arms under the outdoor pool showers. But, even if your child is potty trained, bring swim diapers anyway, especially for a toddler.

I've cruised with my kids since they were 7 months old. i never brought on a full size collapsible cooler, but did have a smaller insulated one for sippy cups, bottles and milk. i also had to bring on all of my own baby food, formula, etc. (this is no longer the case for me, thank goodness -- it's a lot of work) They never stopped me from bringing these items on board, but then again, they didn't sell these items on board. Bringing Pepsi on board, when they sell soda, might result in you having to throw it in the garbage at the check in security point. (Restrictions on liquid aside)

a small collapsible cooler will come in handy to keep milks cold in your stateroom for the middle of the night (just pick them up at breakfast or lunch and put them on ice). You shouldn't need to drag the pack n' play. a crib was set up for us in our stateroom, though i wasn't thrilled with the spacing of the bars, if i recall. i put a blanket as a bumper around the frame. don't forget to bring all of the diapers, swim diapers, wipes and other baby sundries you will need for the entire duration of the cruise. You will not be able to find them on board. Also, milk, apple juice and fruit punch is free. A small umbrella type stroller that reclines a bit will come in very handy for you at night. you can stroll the decks while your little one sleeps. this way, you're not cabin bound at 8 or 9 pm. And, don't worry -- a lot of people do this. It's a family line. But stay away from the huge bulky strollers, if you can. They are cumbersome and heavy, and you will regret having brought it.

When we were thinking of bringing along a very' date=' very small blow up pool[/b'] to use up on deck the issue of hygiene was our main concern. We did not wish to gross out fellow passengers if and when our very own little teabag (granddaughter) should step into the pool area wearing a swim suit equipped with requisite swim diaper and make a bee line for the kiddie pool.

First off we got the idea from other posters who have used the blow up pools on other cruises. We personally have not used one since this is our first cruise with the kid. What info we were able to glean from other posters is that a very, very small blow up pool is used in an out of the way spot up on the pool deck. We were also under the impression that the pool deck personnel would possibly assist us in filling and emptying the little pool. Of course, for such assistance we would be very happy to tip anyone assisting us in helping make our granddaughter's cruise experience an enjoyable one.

Gran.... on the family boards you'll find a thread about bringing blow up

pools. Our granddaughter was 16months at our sailing and loved the small

blow up pool which we placed in a niche beside the lido deck pool aft. Filled it with a small bucket with the "rinse off" water just outside of pool.

Only took a few buckets and was emptied in same drain. It was in no

ones way and everyone was happy. Room steward blew up for us. Enjoy

your cruise.

Archived