Embark & Get Back Off?

Ifloat

Would this be an acceptable thing to do...

At Canada Place, for our Glacier Bay cruise next week on the Spirit: Check through some luggage with the porters, drag the carry on luggage with, stand in line, get our S&S cards, get on the ship. Grab a quick lunch. Drop off our carryons in the room soon as we can.

Then leave the ship and buy some bottled water someplace in Vancouver and carry it back on the ship. Would we be able to bypass most of the lines and just get back in line at the ramp?

Don't want to try and lug water on when we're dragging our carry ons through the line.

I'm afraid that if we tag the water and send it thru with the curbside porters that it would be smashed and leaking when it got to our room.

Any ideas?

And no thanks, I don't want to drink the water they have on the ship or the bottled water they have on the ship. Only a couple of brands agree with me. Delicate digestion. :rolleyes:

;)

Would this be an acceptable thing to do...

At Canada Place, for our Glacier Bay cruise next week on the Spirit: Check through some luggage with the porters, drag the carry on luggage with, stand in line, get our S&S cards, get on the ship. Grab a quick lunch. Drop off our carryons in the room soon as we can.

Then leave the ship and buy some bottled water someplace in Vancouver and carry it back on the ship. Would we be able to bypass most of the lines and just get back in line at the ramp?

Don't want to try and lug water on when we're dragging our carry ons through the line.

I'm afraid that if we tag the water and send it thru with the curbside porters that it would be smashed and leaking when it got to our room.

Any ideas?

And no thanks, I don't want to drink the water they have on the ship or the bottled water they have on the ship. Only a couple of brands agree with me. Delicate digestion. :rolleyes:

We often cram a soft-sided wheeled cooler full of diet coke in plastic bottles. We have the porters handle it along with our other luggage and have never had a problem. Always tip the porters appropriately tho ;)

Not sure if it varies in Vancouver, but when we were on the Destiny in San Juan it was absolutely NO problem, getting on the ship, dropping off the carryons, getting lunch and then getting back off again in order to tour. When we returned to the ship there was a SEPARATE line for people who had already checked in. You just have to show your S&S card. I don't see why it wouldn't be any different.

I carried on a twelve pack bottles of coke and it did not get damaged. If really needed just carry it on. The cooler is also a good idea. The bottled watter on board was a brand name and it was a large bottle for $3.75. Just bring enough until you get to the first port and buy some there. I bought some in nassua.

We got on the Conquest in NO last year before Katrina, then got off to meet friends in the shopping mall next to the pier. Had NO problems getting back on. They had a separate line where they just had to swipe our sail and sign cards. We had already been through the line that they take your picture the first time you swipe your sail and sign. Now, with hightened security........who knows?

When we boarded the Miracle in Jan. (Tampa) we asked upon check in (getting sail & sign, and handing over docs) and were told we would be able to drop off bags have lunch and then debark and shop for a while.

Everything was going according to plan until we got to security to debark and they informed us that no one was allowed off (this was approx 2.5 hours before sailing) - we told them the info we got at check in and they said too bad but they were wrong.

I was disappointed :( we had planned on a little shopping at the pier - souveniers and a couple of bottles of wine to enjoy on the balcony. Oh well we got over it.

Just be sure you ask at each point along the way, especially security - they seem to have the final say!

Payd

Any ideas?

We checked a cooler with duct tape wrapped around it full of water and sodas. It arrived intact.

Thanks, everyone!

All good info.

I'm bringing with an empty duffle bag to take home tshirts and other assorted travel booty. Maybe I'll just fill it up with water bottles and make my sherpa..I mean my DH strap it to his rolling carry on with my BUNGEE cord:p We have a suite so theoretically we will get preferred boarding?

Then he can lug it onboard with us. I would hate to check it through in a soft bag like that and have it leak on some other poor folk's luggage.

I'm sure it will all work out.

Yay! We're going to Alaska!

OK, as I understand it no one really knows about getting back off the ship after you've already gotten on at Canada Place. Any idea as to who might know? We will already be on the Spirit when it arrives at Canada Place for its first Alaska cruise. We understand we will bacically get right back on but have friends in Vancouver we'd like to see and visit with for awhile before we sail. Sure would like to know in advance whether we should set anything up. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Ann

I think you may have a problem at Canada Place. Unlike other cruises, you actually go through US Customs when you enter the terminal to board the ship. If you get back off the ship, you'll be reentering "Canada" and will have to go back through US Customs to reboard the ship.

As hdawson stated, I believe the same security regulations apply with the cruise ships as with the airlines. Once you've checked in & boarded, you'll need to stay onboard until departure.

I'd suggest you stop somewhere along the way from the airport to the ship & buy your water, or use something hardsided similar to a TRANE CASE to put your water in, and pack it in your luggage.

If it's a fairly well known brand, you may be able to find it in port (but will likely pay a lot more for it).

Archived