When will DCL expand?

kuJhawk

I was just reading the Answers.com entry about Disney cruise line, according to what I read is that Disney has plans ready and orders in for two more ships but is waiting for the exchange rate to move in Disneys favor. Has anyone heard anything mroe substantial?

I was just reading the Answers.com entry about Disney cruise line, according to what I read is that Disney has plans ready and orders in for two more ships but is waiting for the exchange rate to move in Disneys favor. Has anyone heard anything mroe substantial?

Nope. That is what we have been hearing for 3+ years now. Those ships will be built when Disney is good and ready.

As jcanino said. We will see it when we see it. Exchange rates aren't detering the other cruise lines. One positive is that they have been shaking up the theme parks division and they are expecting flat growth in that division. One year you can take a 500 million to 1 billion revenue hit (due to a new cruise ship build) the next year or so, take credit for the genius idea of building a new ship as the new revenues come rolling in and order a couple more which then further increases revenues.

just laughing at disney's lip service to growing the cruise line. try disboards for lengthy discussions about the refusal to expand with additional ships. the shipyards are all booked for the next couple years, anyway. If DCL ordered a new ship today, they could not have it in service before 2009...and for all I know that might be optimistic. The Magic turns 10 in '08, the Wonder the following year. I love DCL, but it is what it is--a tiny niche in a diversified entertainment and communications corporation that has options for investment not available to RCI or Carnival corp. or the others--they can go out and drop Billions to buy Pixar, as they did this year. I do hope to see more ships from them, but I stopped holding my breath a long time ago.

DCL is also ONLY owned by "Disney" most the other lines are owned by Carnival such as Carnival cruise lines,Costa Cruises,Cunard line,Holland America,Princess,Windstar,the Yachts of Seaborn and some others...so they can keep pushing them out, that is the buisness they are in, "Cruising" DCL states that keeping there fleet down helps keep their cruises better managed and different from all the other. Also that that is not who they are they are "Disney World" and Disney land" not Disney Cruise. But with all the demand to increase there fleet you would think that they would. Only time will tell. Still "Disney Rocks":)

Momof 2 boys said..."they are "Disney World" and Disney land" not Disney Cruise"

Actually "they" are not Disney World or Disneyland. They are Disney Television (ESPN, ABC, other cable networks), Disney Studios and the Theme Parks. Disney Cruise line is a part of the theme park division.

All three divisions compete for major capital expeditures and inside each division there are competing interests. For example WDW wants to add a ride but so does Disneyland there may not be enough capital to cover both wants even if both would improve the bottom line. Disney Cruise Line competes with the parks for this money.

On a hopeful note, recently it was released that the parks would be challenged to dramitically increase revenues. Building one or two cruise ships would give the executive "crowing" room. Once the first new ship comes online the powers that be would be able to brag that we increased the Cruise Line revues by 75% (this figure is arbitrary but considering the relatively small size of the current ships even one ship at double the size would dramitically increaese revenues)

Once the first new ship comes online the powers that be would be able to brag that we increased the Cruise Line revues by 75% (this figure is arbitrary but considering the relatively small size of the current ships even one ship at double the size would dramitically increaese revenues)

the current ships are right around 83,000 tons, roughly 10% less tonnage than RCI Radiance Class or Celebrity Millenium class. I don't imagine any new ships, either in 2 years, 4 years or 10 years being twice that size. Their terminal at PC and the facilities at CC would be severely taxed by that big of an increase without a corresponding expansion. But who knows, since all expansion talk is just conjecture for DCL.

Probably later this fall will be summer 2008 announcements, and we'll see what they do to stretch the tiny "fleet" of two ships around the many potential ports of call for that, their 10th anniversary season since the launch of the Magic.

this is from http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al091206a.htm Al Lutz is very good with Disney Information. Jay Rasulo is the second or third in command at the Disney empire

The one bit of information that did get the crowd talking was Rasulo's rather blunt proclamation that an announcement of a third Disney Cruise Line ship based on the West Coast would come "sooner rather than later." Rasulo continued to explain that the new ship would offer summertime itineraries up to British Columbia and Alaska and wintertime itineraries down to the Mexican Riviera. He admitted that the third ship was something that will "cost a lot of money", but that the time had come for Disney to commit to expanding the cruises permanently to the West Coast. And that's yet another example of Anaheim's growing clout in Rasulo's empire....

Tahoe Bob, what was the date of that quote? any idea...I live here in SanDiego and would love DCL to put a ship out here! At this rate however I am already 48 may not be untill I'm 70, lol.:D We were on the Panama Canal cruise and it was sure nice to sail back out this way and than just take the limo home instead of having to fly back. Flying back is such a drag.:p

Tahoe Bob, what was the date of that quote? any idea...I live here in SanDiego and would love DCL to put a ship out here! At this rate however I am already 48 may not be untill I'm 70, lol.:D We were on the Panama Canal cruise and it was sure nice to sail back out this way and than just take the limo home instead of having to fly back. Flying back is such a drag.:p
Al Lutz writes about every two weeks for Miceage and this one came out in the last day or so. When this meeting took place my guess it was in the last week or so. On the Miceage message board Micechat there was no talk about the new ship, but most people there are park people not cruise people.

Bob

Archived