Canopy Tour - Ocho Rios

SNAFL

Any other daredevils out there who have done the Canopy Tour in Ocho Rios? Considering doing it with Chukka Caribbean Adventures - a site recommended by another CCer. For those of you who aren't familiar with a canopy tour, I was one before going onto their website, here's a bit of a description: "You begin your tour by soaring through the trees using an intricate system of harnesses, pulleys and carabiners on horizontal traverses, while gazing at the surrounding jungle until you arrive at the next Cliffside platform, 45 feet above the ground.Nine traverses, from 105 feet to 660 feet apart, have you swinging through the Laughlands River gorge, a giant valley carved from the surrounding mountain by ancient waters (a sparkling river still flows through it)."

I'm willing to try this and wondered if anyone else had ever done it or gone out with this tour company.

Anyone else on NOS September 30, 2006 cruise that would care to join us? The more the merrier.

45 feet above the ground.

You are most definitely higher than 45 feet up. I think my estimate of 800 feet was too high, going by how far we dropped from platform to platform, I'm thinking we were 400 to 600 feet above the river at the start. That doesn't include the several hundred feet we walked down to the first platform.

New to this Cruisecritic posting stuff - when I click on the link it takes me to another thread. I read it and didn't find anything. Also did a search on canopy to no avail. Where abouts in this thread is your review? Would really like to hear about it.

When we went in December, we could not book this tour privately. I called Chukka Tours and tried everything else. We ended up taking this through the ship. The only reason I considered not doing thru the ship was the age limit. We took our chances and my 13 and 15 year old were able to do this with no questions asked. Once you are off the ship, they don't look at ages.

I highly recommend this tour. It was the highlight of our trip. Very physical, to get down to where you start on the first traverse. After that, it was smooth sailing. You don't do anything except lift your legs. (Don't forget to do this). My son didn't lift on one and they won't catch you then, you just run into the tree. When you are done with all of them, you get a refreshing drink before walking easily to the buses.

Any other daredevils out there who have done the Canopy Tour in Ocho Rios? Considering doing it with Chukka Caribbean Adventures - a site recommended by another CCer. For those of you who aren't familiar with a canopy tour, I was one before going onto their website, here's a bit of a description: "You begin your tour by soaring through the trees using an intricate system of harnesses, pulleys and carabiners on horizontal traverses, while gazing at the surrounding jungle until you arrive at the next Cliffside platform, 45 feet above the ground.Nine traverses, from 105 feet to 660 feet apart, have you swinging through the Laughlands River gorge, a giant valley carved from the surrounding mountain by ancient waters (a sparkling river still flows through it)."

I'm willing to try this and wondered if anyone else had ever done it or gone out with this tour company.

Anyone else on NOS September 30, 2006 cruise that would care to join us? The more the merrier.

My husband and two children (ages 15 and 17) did this on our cruise last year and it was one of the highlights of the cruise for them!!

I believe RC has recently dropped the min. age to 12.

Archived