I need help deciding

jhbkcb

We have booked the Sapphire for March 12 Auckland to Sydney cruise. Now we are trying to decide if we should book the air fare through Princess. The price is a little higher than what I can book myself but the guarantee of Princess being responsible if something happens with connections is worth something. I know that y'all will have some ideas. I would appreciate your input. Thanks. Kathy

When we did this cruise in 2002, there was an eaast coast storm that delayed flights from the Boston and New York area, so they missed their connections in LA. We were in the last flight out of Baltimore, and only had minutes to spare! Princess put the missing passengers up in a hotel in Auckland, took care of meals, and flew them to Wellington to catch the ship. The independant passengers were on their own! On the down side, coach seats on Qantas (Princess' choice for us) were the most cramped I've ever experienced!!!!! The trip was marvelous, though!!:)

Personally, I would pay the extra price for the peace of mind. You are relying on several areas of the globe to cooperate weatherwise, not to mention the planes that could have problems.

It would be a tremendous gamble to pay this much for a cruise and then hope the weather is perfect everywhere.

I would book through Princess air to get to the cruise and then book my own way home. Is that possible?

At the very least, add the airfare to your booking. You then have until final payment to book independent air if that's what you want to do.

When booking an "open-jaw" flight, particularly one as long as you are thinking, sometimes booking the cruise air adds some peace of mind since they are then responsible for you. It's like adding air insurance.

Archived