When ship docks how do you get to the shore?

St.Love

A few ports you have to use a "tender" boat to shore( Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, maybe in Cozumel, etc.) but most places you can just walk off the ship to the pier.

Thanks! I see we are going to 2 places that you have to tender. Do you pay for that?

Sometimes you do need to take a small boat, called a tender, and sail to the shore. Often, the tender boats are anchored to the side of the ship right along with the life boats. Other times, boats for "tendering" are provided by the island that you're visiting.

Most cruise lines have the tendering process down pat, so it's fairly painless process, but I (and probably most folks) prefer not to have to tender when possible. Whether or not you have to tender really all depends on whether that particular port has cruise ship docks available and how many other ships are in port with you. On islands like Grand Cayman, all cruise lines must use tenders, but on other islands, such as Cozumel, many piers are available, and ships typically dock.

I hope this helps expain things!

When you go to a tendered port, the tender is provided as part of your cruise. There is usually some order of debarkation, which will be announced. Have a great time when you go.

Bonnie (Stevie17 and I were posting at the same time)

A few ports you have to use a "tender" boat to shore( Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, maybe in Cozumel, etc.) but most places you can just walk off the ship to the pier.

Depends on the port, and the day- some ports have berths for 1 or 2 ships, and the rest will need to tender. We were the only ship in Ocho Rios a few week ago, so we were docked.

Tendering is no big deal. It depends on the line and the itinerary, but usually you go to a lounge, get a "tender ticket" then proceed to a lower deck, where a tender (basically a large lifeboat, holding ~100-120 pax) will be waiting. You get on, have a seat, and 5 minutes later you're at the town dock. Returning is pretty much the same, though you have to make sure you're there before the last tender leaves- the time will be clearly posted both on the tender gangway, as well as onshore.

This is kind of OT but I did not know this on my first cruise a couple of weeks ago. In St. Thomas, I had a late excursion at 1:30. I just waited around in the cabin until time to leave because I didn't know that you could get off the ship, do some shopping, drop your packages back on the ship and go meet your excursion. They wait for you right outside the ship with a name placard, so you know where to go. I wasted alot of time that day!

Kim

On islands like Grand Cayman, all cruise lines must use tenders, but on other islands, such as Cozumel, many piers are available, and ships typically dock.

quote]

That's they way Cozumel "used" to be. Since Hurricane Wilma things have changed. All they piers were either destroyed or badly damaged. Only one small pier has reopened and only one ship can dock there at a time so the ships are taking turns.

Archived