Crocodile man killed by stingray

C 2 C

Officials in Grand Cayman announced this afternoon that they would not be cancelling the Sting Ray City tours and that they felt that they already have enough safeguards in place. Also, some of the people who were with Steve Irwin when he was killed say that with the cameraman on one side of the ray and Steve hovering over the top of the ray that it probably felt "trapped" and responded defensively. FYI...

More people die from bee stings or mosquito bites than from sting ray "attacks". Does that mean you will refuse to go on deck or on your balcony because a bee or a mosquito might get you? NO!

This was a horrible accident, but I would hate for it to cause people to stop interacting with these wonderful creatures in places like Stingray City. Not only would that be devastating to the economy of the local people, it would also cause an ecological crisis, as the stingray population thrives largely due to all the food the tourist groups provide...

More people die from bee stings or mosquito bites than from sting ray "attacks". Does that mean you will refuse to go on deck or on your balcony because a bee or a mosquito might get you? NO!

This was a horrible accident, but I would hate for it to cause people to stop interacting with these wonderful creatures in places like Stingray City. Not only would that be devastating to the economy of the local people, it would also cause an ecological crisis, as the stingray population thrives largely due to all the food the tourist groups provide...

Our family also went on the Sting Ray City tour. We had ages from 8 to 65. We ALL enjoyed the tour, even though we were a bit nervous at first. I preferred to snorkel (float) around, while most people were walking. I did feel safer that way.

I'd have to say that the Tour Operators DID mention how to walk around, and to be careful not to step on them. HOWEVER, they seemed to downplay the potential for serious injury. :eek: I'm sure this was motivated in part by their desire to have each of the tourists "hold" the stingray (along with the guide), and have pictures taken (expensive pictures, I might add)

With all the people around (hundreds) and stingrays (hundreds), it really IS amazing you don't hear about anyone getting stung.

Having said all this, I'm 100% sure the varied group we took would vote to NOT do this excursion after hearing about Irwin's death. Which is a shame.... having done the excursion, I think everyone should do it once.

Very sad, especially leaving his 2 little children! It's so unbelieveable with all the dangerous animals he's handled in his life that he was killed by a creature that is rarely ever fatal. How sad - I just hope all the good things he's done won't be overshadowed. :(

This is a very sad day for the world.

I am wondering whether to do the stingray trip at Grand Cayman now this has happened.

Getting totally off subject here. Was just reading through these posts and noticed salharrison that you are in Bradford. That is where I come from. I've never seen anyone from Bradfordon these boards before.

Karen

I hope they do one day release the video as I and I know several would watch. While some may consider it morbid, I know I have watched and studied the Zapruder film over and over as well as the Oswald shooting. I really think there is no difference.

Archived