HAL or NCL, please answer some questions

dorothyl

I have been on the NCL Dawn for price and itinerary and on the HAL Westerdam. I could not agree more about the choice.

If you want to eat in the regular dining room without dressing up, go at lunchtime. The food is wonderful.

Overall, I thought the food in the Lido (buffet area) on HAL was better than the dining room food on NCL.

Afternoon tea on HAL is also quite nice. I'm not talking about the once a week affair in the dining room, but rather the low key hotel style tea served in the Explorer's lounge every other day.

I don't know if anyone else mentioned it, but the exercise room on HAL gives you a great view while you are using a treadmill, while the exercise room on NCL gives you a tacky mirrored wall.

All of this does not mean I won't be on NCL again -- I'm probably going to choose an NCL cruise in March because of price and itinerary. If I were in your shoes, deciding between a lower price on HAL and a higher price on NCL, I would have no problem making the decision.

I had the same dilemma but when I was looking it was ncl that was cheaper and normally is, a good deal then came up on the Noordam and I grabbed it. I know the chances of Hal being cheaper then Ncl again are rare so I figured I would try ncl later.

My local CAA actually has the $100 shipboard credit also. I think I may book today. The exchange rate looks good. Thanks for the advice. I am soo excited about cruising again.

Dorothy:

I note you are in Ontario, and you may not be aware that there is a compensation fund that you are covered by when you book with an Ontario travel agent as you are protected by TICO (Travel Industry Council of Ontario).

Details at their site: http://www.tico.on.ca

I booked with a bricks and mortar Toronto TA that has an online presence and benefitted from an additional rebate due to their volume.

Bodger

Archived