How stupid on NCLs part

steveaaaa

Vote with your feet.:cool:
Definitely! And I think Ann is right. Just holding a room might constitute a booking to the cruise lines. They might be on to the way consumers try to get the best deal by canceling and rebooking.

I agree but not if they have already gone thru all the direct expense including perhaps a PCC and then transfer the booking last minute. Book onboard transfer to a TA when you get home perfect. Call 7 times change your booking 5 times and then transfer the booking the worst of both worlds.

That is the worst case scenario. They would "lose" a little but in the bottom line it would not matter. Everyone takes their chances in the travel business.........ya win some........ya lose some;) .

Believe me, if the cruise lines lost the TA and on line distribution system the costs of cruising would rise. They have tried and it did not work. I am sure the bean counters are working on it all the time:rolleyes:

What has me worried is that they out-source to other countries. I do not see this as a good thing.

going on my second NCL cruise this year in December. Price has dropped AND since I am a past passenger they sent me a coupon for $ off my next cruise. they won't let me use it on the already booked cruise. guess what folks..lots more cruise lines out there
I'm sorry to say that if you boycott every business that follows guidelines and has restrictions for their promotions, you'll soon find yourself with no options.

I'm sorry to say that if you boycott every business that follows guidelines and has restrictions for their promotions, you'll soon find yourself with no options.

That is only true when the promo is real. $100 off the brochure rate is fake.$100 off your best price is real.

Steve

Several people are talking about how the prices change and why can't they get the new price. As Host Celeia said, when you book a long time ago, you got the best deal at the time, room location, ship and sailing date. And sometimes even more important, perhaps the air, times as well.

That can make a big difference.

I am a travel agent and I have booked people 15 months in advance and 2 days prior. I have managed to get great deals for my clients and sometimes not, ie. because the ship is sold out or great deal on ship but no air whatsoever, or there is air but at a huge cost. There is every situation out there. Just because you waited until the last minute doesn't mean you are going to get a deal. Like wise, booking in advance ususally get you a decent deal but it depends on what the cruise line offers. Most of the time if the price goes down prior to final payment the cruise line will give it to you. But there are some situations where the cruise line will stick by the rule..NEW bookings only..and if you wanted you could xxl and rebook but you might not get that same cabin, as the cruise line will xxl the booking and start again and that cabin could be picked by someome else. I know because it has happened to me.

Captain canuk had a coupon for a future booking and wanted to use it on this booking. I have had that situation with RCCL several times and most of the times they will honour it,,but not always. They looked at each booking each time and then I get an answer. I am finding that now, most cruise line will give decent prices for future booking now. I have had several bookings where I booked people in advance and 75% of those boking the rates did not go down...I kept checking and price either went up or the catagory was sold out. However I have saved people money too. The best deal was $125.00 cad per person. So I am saying it can go both ways.

Someone had said on this thread about booking a car and if it went on sale the day after you bought it the dealership would give you the lower price....WRONG.. that happen to me. I bought a Mazda MPV van on the WEd, signed the paperwork and was to pick up the car on FRi..that Fri the Toronto Star paper had that same new 2003 van for $1800.00 less. I tired all that I could, pleaded, argued ..but the dealership knew nothing of the new promo (it could happen) and I had signed the paperwork and in Canada ( don't know about the USA) when the car paperwork is signed there is NO.. 24 - 48 hour waiting period. YOu bought you own it. The dealership did in the end give me a full extended warranty, they say worth $1500.00. So I have full warranty for 6 years or 150 km. Better than nothing. :o

C.

• 2 weeks later...

I stand corrected. I just got a better deal for my client than I thought would be possible. I had booked them (family of 8) several months ago Caribbean Princess April 29, eastern caribbean . Balcony cat. bb rate at that time $1230.50 cad pp plus tax.

Today I got a better deal, that cat. went down to $863.50 cad savings of $368.00 pp. Amazing. Clients changed to a mini suite, still got it cheaper than the original price, rate $1093.50. They are thrilled.

It can happen:)

C.

Was it really so stupid?

A $25 OBC really costs them about $10, but changing your booking costs them far more in labor and other related costs.

So the travel agent gets the booking and the 10% commission instead. Does that hurt NCL? Not really. They gladly pay the commission to keep TA loyalty, they still get you in a cabin, and they still get your onboard revenues, which are getting more and more inportant these days.

In the grand scheme of things, in a multi-billion dollar business, the consequences of your business with NCL are inconsequential.

We are talking mass-market, where only the big numbers get any notice.

10%?? try 16%!!

Archived