Tipping ?s

St.Love

Just when I think I know how the tipping process works I hear another story that makes me wonder....

I know the rule of thumb is 10.00 per day per person but you don't have to pay that, right? I have a 1 year old that I can't see paying 10.00 per day for when he doesn't do anything. A friend of my dh's just got off a cruise with his young child and said he didn't tip for him and you can do that. Then I hear no they automatically take it off your CC on file?? Our kids are 8-6-3-1 so what do you think is fare for tipping?

Also he said that his friend was telling him some people don't tip :eek:

I know this topic has been done 100 times but I am confused too....

Would it not be better to put the tips in cash so that they are less traceable...

I know that sounds bad, but when I was a waitress we all prefered cash over tips that were on credit cards. If the tip was on a credit card you had to report it as income but if it was in cash then it wasn't 'as' taxable....

I know this topic has been done 100 times but I am confused too....

Would it not be better to put the tips in cash so that they are less traceable...

I know that sounds bad, but when I was a waitress we all prefered cash over tips that were on credit cards. If the tip was on a credit card you had to report it as income but if it was in cash then it wasn't 'as' taxable....

If the tips are removed, they are required to turn in cash tips... most will tell you they don't want to risk their job by NOT doing this. They also get paid quicker when it is on the S&S card. Much different in the US, when taxes do come into play.. a little different situation.

Carnival doesn't charge tips for kids under 2, you can have them removed if they do... but their website says no tipping for kids under 2. You may want to tip some however, since your wait staff will likely help make your experience better... etc.

I think $10 per day per person is fair, They will not charge for the 1 year old but the other children will be taken as good of care of as you will be.

The Camp carnival staff also appricates tips for a job well done also.

Its like at a restaurant, you tip 15% of the total bill, you don't tip 15% per adult at the table.

Tips for 5 of the 6 [zero for the 1year old] of you will be added to your S&S acct. on day one.5X$10=$50X7days=$350. You may go to the purser and raise or lower the amount as service warrants, or you may have the total removed. The $350. may seem like a lot but on a meal by meal basis, its not. If you are not prepared to tip this amount for the good to excellent service you WILL receive. Then you are not prepared to cruise at all.

Some do stiff the crew, in fact it is known that 92% of those who remove the auto-tip because they say they want to tip in cash. DO NOT TIP ANYBODY ANYTHING.

THEY ARE NOT WELL THOUGHT OF BY MOST ON THIS BOARD.

As mentioned above the Camp Carnival people should be tipped as well. And your soda and drink purchases will have 15% added into the bill when you sign it. Plus the norm is to tip the dockside porters $1. per bag when you hand over your luggage.

If a crew member impresses you enough that you want to add to their tip, give cash. As long as your regular amount is left on your S&S, they get to keep your extra cash.

Plus excursions are extra and for 6 of you it will add up fast. Souvenirs can be a healthy total too.

Crusing haint cheep, but tips ARE part of the whole.

Dan

Its like at a restaurant, you tip 15% of the total bill, you don't tip 15% per adult at the table.

Not to be critical as I do plan on tipping (as a former waitress I usually go over the top for really great service) BUT...my cruise is $189 pp, well that would mean $28.35 NOT $50 that is the guide.

I just don't like the idea of them telling me what to tip--if it is their policy then it should be included in the price. I will be tipping and it may or may not go over the guided amount.

Not to be critical as I do plan on tipping (as a former waitress I usually go over the top for really great service) BUT...my cruise is $189 pp, well that would mean $28.35 NOT $50 that is the guide.

I just don't like the idea of them telling me what to tip--if it is their policy then it should be included in the price. I will be tipping and it may or may not go over the guided amount.

I agree with you 100%.

FWIW, what they do charge is the suggested amount, and you are allowed to adjust it to whatever amount you wish, feel free to do so.

Cheers,

Peter

So you got a five day cruise for $189? You found an excellent deal. But seriously should that lessen the tip you give? When I go to a restaurant with a coupon that is buy one get one free I don't tip on my reduced bill. I tip on what would have been the full price. As far as I am concerned the guide is the minimal amount of tip you should pay. Excellent or really great service means an additional tip. Personally, I would not enjoy myself if I thought MY waitstaff and steward were getting a raw deal because I decided they did not deserve the minimal amount.

boowaaccaa tips are NOT based on what you paid for the cruise!!! Why don't you just pay the 10 bucks a day and forget trying to figure out percentages. I'ts not added in but for goodness sake the staff works very hard and waits on you hand and foot. They are worth every darned penny of the $50 bucks.

JUST PAY IT!!

I just don't like the idea of them telling me what to tip--if it is their policy then it should be included in the price. .

Its a suggested amount- not policy- Its not just a carnival thing adding tips to your card.

3.50 to a waiter when I get served all week is well worth is.

3.50 to a person who cleans my cabin twice a day is more then worth it.

I dont cook or clean all week and service is beyond fabulous for me..

St.Love - Just because some folks don't tip at all certainly doesn't make it any standard to aspire to. Those cheapskates are definitely in the minority, and are doing their cabin steward and waiters such a huge injustice! Thank goodness most tip according to the guidelines, which is very fair. And most actually tip more at the end of the cruise. (Not that you have to do that, of course.) You need to consider the tips for your family - excluding your 1 yr. old - part of your cruise vacation.:)

Boo - If you paid only $189 for a 5 night cruise, you're already 'way ahead of the game. Lucky you! So, since you are aware of how important tips are to service folks, seems you'd want to do what is right by them. The $10 per passenger per day is a very fair amount. I think you'll realize that once you get on board.:)

You obviously got a great discount... just like when you go to a restaurant and you have a 50% off coupon, don't you still tip on the full amount??? Of course. So while the tips have nothing to do with the price of your cruise, this argument also doesn't hold water... if you compare the tips you would pay on land for 3 meals a day for comparable meals, plus add in the cabin services, you are getting a great deal at 10/day.

boowaaccaa tips are NOT based on what you paid for the cruise!!! Why don't you just pay the 10 bucks a day and forget trying to figure out percentages. I'ts not added in but for goodness sake the staff works very hard and waits on you hand and foot. They are worth every darned penny of the $50 bucks.

JUST PAY IT!!

Most likely everyone will feel like the $10.00 a day tipping is fair. If you get that occasionally rude staff member, then just go to the Pursers desk and get that persons portion of the tip removed. You will most likely feel like adding that one you just deducted to another staff member for the excellent service he or she provided for you.

Let me give you the perspective on cruising with my 17 month old last May. Children under 2 are not charged tips. My son was more work for the cabin stewards and dining staff, than any adult could ever aspire to be. Ever night at dinner they had his high chair setup, they had milk on the table, the asst. Maitre'D would come and walk him around during the main course so that DW and I had time to enjoy the meal, she literally kept him for 15 minute a night. Every night after we left he dining room, they had to put his high chair away and clean up the carnage on the floor and on the table.

Every day the stewards had to clean up cookie and cereal mess ground into the carpet, they cleaned up spills, carried away diapers, setup crib, took down crib.

We ended up tipping all those people in envelopes with cash more than the $10/per day suggested - we didn't have to, but the service we received was WAY more than even what we paid for.

Tipping is not part of the cruise fare, and it does not matter what you pay for your cruise, $10 per person per day is cheap, hopefully you are not!

The suggested tipping amount in my opinion is more then fair. You should receive excellent service for that. That is what they are employed to do. They are not employed to give you just good service.

If you have special requests (adding more work to their schedule then normal) then they deserve extra. Especially if you have little ones. Like some of the posters have said, they are more work then adults sometimes. In my opinion tipping is personal. I certainly would not brag on this board that I had a tip taken away because of a rude employee. :cool:

Hi boowaaccaa:

I don't think you should use the 15% for meals as a guide for cruise tipping. For a meal served in the US you might tip 15% but in Europe only 10% might be expected. In some European countries they would only round up the price even though the meal was the same and the service was the same. Drinks have a 15% tip added in the Caribbean but on a Meditteranean cruise they only add 10%. It's best IMO just to use the recommended guideline as that is the level that is considered in the industry and locality as appropriate for the service.

It is not a secret that tips are not included in the cruise price. With a little due diligence you would have discovered this before you purchased your cruise. But, $189pp is a GREAT deal. You would be hard pressed to get a similar experience for that price. If this is a 5 day cruise your cost is still only $239pp. I would take that in a heartbeat. Enjoy your cruise and don't sweat the $10pp - I think you'll be happy.

I have a 1 year old that I can't see paying 10.00 per day for when he doesn't do anything.

Our kids are 8-6-3-1 so what do you think is fare for tipping?

The little tyke may actually require more work for the cabin steward etc.

$10 p/p p/d is fair.

From the tone of the post I gather that you already have it in mind to reduce tips for the kids?:confused:

The little tyke may actually require more work for the cabin steward etc.

$10 p/p p/d is fair.

From the tone of the post I gather that you already have it in mind to reduce tips for the kids?:confused:

No not at all! I do plan on tipping for my older 3 but not for my 1 year old. He can't even walk yet, lol. I plan on doing the 10 per day per person.

Thanks for all your posts. In case anyone misconstrued what I said, I used the 15% reference becuase that is what another poster said. I didn't mean that was what I would base my tipping on. I have no problem tipping, and no problem tipping $10 pd (or more!)

My main question was in reference (see my fisrt post on this thread) was in regards to cash vs. charging tips for the purpose of taxes!!

September 6th, 2006 07:09 AMLegend

JUST PAY IT!!

Legend:

There is no need for this type of bashing--please re-read my post--I never said I wasn't planning to tip the $50--in fact I said "I will be tipping and it may or may not go over the guided amount." I never said it would be under!!!!

Thanks for all your posts.

My main question was in reference (see my fisrt post on this thread) was in regards to cash vs. charging tips for the purpose of taxes!!

There is no benefit to the cruise employee to receive tips in cash versus from your sail&sign card. I won't comment on the ethics of waiters not properly reporting their income.:rolleyes:

No not at all! I do plan on tipping for my older 3 but not for my 1 year old. He can't even walk yet, lol. I plan on doing the 10 per day per person.

Exactly my point. When you posted your question it seemed as though you had already made your mind up that you weren't going to tip for the 1 y/o and this post confirms it. You really should reconsider.

Your original post asked what was fair (fare). What does walking have to do with sleeping in a bed that needs to be made up, showering, making other messes in the room?? Should wheelchair bound people not have to tip?

Carnival gives you the option, but what is FAIR is a one year old still requires servicing from your cabin steward and many other, it is fair to reward for it. You asked, so please don't think people are being rude when they 100% disagree and provide examples as to why, with your logic...

Maybe the reason tips are not charged for under 2 years old, is because kids that young will spend the entire cruise under their parent's care - they are too young to be put in "Camp Carnival" for any length of time.

I think parents who cruise with young kids are brave. I was not in a position to do such nice vacations that when my kids were young, and it is much more pleasant NOT being with kids for a short while. But for some people there is no one to watch the kids, so a family vacation is a must. Just for me, it would not be as enjoyable to cruise with kids. I always enjoyed land vacations with my kids but I can't feel the same about a sea cruise.

Regarding tips, that has been well covered. I wish they were mandatory. Removing tips because one person was not up to par is ineffective - much better to spell it out on a comment card!

There is no benefit to the cruise employee to receive tips in cash versus from your sail&sign card. I won't comment on the ethics of waiters not properly reporting their income.:rolleyes:

For your info:

When a pax removes the tip from the S&S acct. FOR ANY REASON. The affected crewmembers are questioned as to why the pax was unhappy. So the crewmember can say they did not satisfy the pax and keep the cash or they can say the pax was not unhappy because he tipped me in cash. That cash then MUST BE turned in to the tip pool. If the pax had left the tips on the S&S and added cash to the crewmembers deserving extra, they can keep that cash by policy and by the fact that no questions are asked when the tips are left on the S&S acct.

So the "ethics" of the crew is; they can admit to displeasing pax or turn in the cash.

Bad situation for any of us to put them in, leave the S&S tip alone.

To others,

Nobody climbs on non-tippers any harder than I do [cheapos, cheap screws, slimeballs are some names I've used] but getting on someone's case about a 1 year old when there is NO tip asked for a 1 yr. old is wrong.

Dan

For your info:

When a pax removes the tip from the S&S acct. FOR ANY REASON. The affected crewmembers are questioned as to why the pax was unhappy. So the crewmember can say they did not satisfy the pax and keep the cash or they can say the pax was not unhappy because he tipped me in cash. That cash then MUST BE turned in to the tip pool. If the pax had left the tips on the S&S and added cash to the crewmembers deserving extra, they can keep that cash by policy and by the fact that no questions are asked when the tips are left on the S&S acct.

So the "ethics" of the crew is; they can admit to displeasing pax or turn in the cash.

Bad situation for any of us to put them in, leave the S&S tip alone.

To others,

Nobody climbs on non-tippers any harder than I do [cheapos, cheap screws, slimeballs are some names I've used] but getting on someone's case about a 1 year old when there is NO tip asked for a 1 yr. old is wrong.

Dan

Thank you for your kind words. I'm no way a cheap skate but I can't see paying for soemthing that isn't asked for. Even if I get poor service I will still tip the 10.00 per day per person rule. I posted this because I was unsure how the tipping process works for babies and now I know thanks :)

Archived