Sea sickness meds for infants and kids...

St.Love

Anyone know how this works?

I asked my kids Ped. and she said that I can give half a dose of what I would take :confused: . My infant can't chew a pill? Do they have a liquid form over the counter?

Do I need to bring some or can I get them for free on the ship? :)

We traveled last year with my then 4 year old who gets horribly car sick. He also refuses to take any kind of medication. So we tried to figure out what to give him. I found some stuff at Walmart called motion eaze. It is a tiny little bottle by the other sea sick meds. It is a little pricey, like 6 dollars a bottle but we gave it a try. It is safe for everyone. It is a liquid that you rub behind the ears. I can tell you we used it and he never got sick. In Grand Caymen we chartered a small sailboat and went out on the water and he did not get sick there either. His father was holding him in the water when we were snorkeling and swallowed alot of water and got sick. He used the drops after he felt bad and in a few minutes felt better again. Maybe we just got lucky but I liked it so much that I already have purchsed another bottle for the cruise we have coming up. There are also no side effects and for adults you can still drink with out it mixing with other meds.

Ask your ped about ginger... if the kids can't take pills, you can get crystallized ginger, and some ginger candies that have real ginger in them (you have to get something that has ginger, not just ginger flavoring)... I swear by ginger.

Registered Phamacist here...

What age infants and kids are we talking about?

dramamine

0-2 years, 5mg per kilogram of weight per day in 4 divided doses every 6 hours.

example, 20lb kid, 2.2lbs=1kg, 20/2.2=9.1kg, 9.1kg*5mg = 45.45, 45.45/4 = 11mg dose, every 6 hours. (use 10mg).

2-5years, 12.5mg-25mg every 6-8 hours, max 75mg/day.

6-12 years, 25-50mg every 6-8 hours, max 150mg/day.

12-adult, 50-100mg every 4-6 hours, max 400mg/day.

You cannot get liquid dramamine in the USA (is available in Canada though)

Bonine makes a chewable raspberry flavored but is recommended for 12 and over.

You can get Phenergan (promethazine) but that is only available by perscription.

Registered Phamacist here...

What age infants and kids are we talking about?

dramamine

0-2 years, 5mg per kilogram of weight per day in 4 divided doses every 6 hours.

example, 20lb kid, 2.2lbs=1kg, 20/2.2=9.1kg, 9.1kg*5mg = 45.45, 45.45/4 = 11mg dose, every 6 hours. (use 10mg).

2-5years, 12.5mg-25mg every 6-8 hours, max 75mg/day.

6-12 years, 25-50mg every 6-8 hours, max 150mg/day.

12-adult, 50-100mg every 4-6 hours, max 400mg/day.

You cannot get liquid dramamine in the USA (is available in Canada though)

Bonine makes a chewable raspberry flavored but is recommended for 12 and over.

You can get Phenergan (promethazine) but that is only available by perscription.

My kids are ages 8-6-3-1 :) . My 8 and 6 year old will chew tablets but my 3 and 1 year old won't or can't.

that an age-appropriate dose of Benadryl (which, as I'm sure you know, comes in liquid) works for motion-sickness. I didn't end up needing to use it, but maybe call your ped and ask about that. HTH!

Visited my DD's pediatrician last week and he told me the same thing...Benadryl. I didn't know that. :D

Archived