Taking children from another family

CoachTerry14

Thats a BRAVE person that would wanna take additional kids with em cruisin...you'd have to bribe me with Pamela Anderson to even take my own kids.......oh wait....i dont have kids :).........scary thought....me passing on my genes and values to kidlins :)......Terry, may God be with ya

When my children were younger we always had extra children with us when we traveled. One of the children that use to travel with us was from Canada and I thought it was going to be a pain when we deceided to cruise. No different than any other time. We just got a notarized note from his parents giving us permission to take him with us along with giving us permission to get him any medical attention we felt was needed. Luck has it we never had to use it but did have it just in case. I always had them state the name of each adult traveling with us just in case something happened to me. This way any adult with us could get him medical attention and could check in with him at the counter when we checked in to Carnival or any airlines..

A few years ago my daughters friends family took her with them to Florida and the father had asked me and my ex wife to just write up a letter stating that they had permission to have my daughter with them out of state seeing they were taking her on a plane. Which we did .

Now granted they didn't have to deal with customs or anything and this was pre 9-11 so I don't know if there are any additional formalities or special forms.

Hi Terry, so when are you cruising again!! :) I would get a notarized letter from both parents authorizing you to take the child/children with you. Be specific in the letter, Name of child, names of people taking the child, name of ship, dates of travel etc. If you're flying, include that info too. Also include in that letter permission for you to authorize medical treatment. One poster had a good point, make sure it's to authorize more than one adult in the party. :)

I am going on a cruise in August and each of my kids are bringing their friends. Its the only way I can get a peaceful vacation. It may sound funny, but they have someone to hang out with and I never see them. Otherwise they are whinning to me the whole trip.

Lorideco,

thats not strange at all.

the reason my daughters friends family took my daughter was so she had someone to keep her occupied while they were away. They said everyone had a ball.

I am going on a cruise in August and each of my kids are bringing their friends. Its the only way I can get a peaceful vacation. It may sound funny, but they have someone to hang out with and I never see them. Otherwise they are whinning to me the whole trip.

Surely you don't mean that you never see them. You know what they say about unsupervised kids . . . :eek:

Be sure to have their SSN and a list of medications that they are currently taking on the letter. Have never taken any children with us but have notarized many letters with this information. List everything you can think of, have it notarized and you should be ok.:) :) :)

Here is an outline copy of what we used on our last several cruises.

We, (parent or parents) authorize our child (child's name) to travel on vacation from (dates) under the supervision of (temporary guardians's name).

(temporary guardian's name) are authorized to act as (child's name)

temporary guardian during this vacation and is authorized to accompany child

on the Carnival Cruise Line’s ship (name of ship) from (dates of the cruise).

We, (child's parent or parents) additionally give permission for our child, (child's name), to be accompanied to the following

countries, ports of call and destinations this cruise vacation visits on its

itinerary including (ports of call). We

additionally give permission for our child, (child's name), to be

accompanied to any additional country or ports of call this ship may travel

to if its itinerary is changed by Carnival Cruise Lines. (temporary guardians) are also authorized to make decisions regarding medical treatment and medications necessary for (child's name) health to include the entire duration of their temporary guardianship during this trip.

(temporary guardians) are additionally authorized to accompany

(child's name) to travel (airline) on flights departing on (originating flight date) from (departure and arrival city), and return

flights on (airline) (date) from (departure and arrival city). We additionally give permission for our child, (child's name), to be accompanied to any additional air cities if flight

itinerary is changed by (airline).

_____________________________ ____________________________

(Name of parent / guardian) (Dated) (Name of parent / guardian) (Date)

Notary Statement and stamp below:

I have always taken an extra child or on the last cruise 8 extra teenage girls. They were all great. I had a notoroized letter that my attorney friend gave me giving me permission to take them out of the US, and for any medical attention needed. In addition Carnival has a form that needs to be filled out by the parents as well to keep on file when the last payment is due.

All went well, never had a problem with cruise or airlines.

Brought our daughter's friend last year and we had a notarized letter saying she was authorized to travel with us and that we had permission to receive any medical treatment that was deemed necessary. This is important in case the child gets hurt. We also took copies of her insurance cards with us.

Make sure at the end of the cruise that they fill out a separate customs form since they are not part of your family.

Bakmmo I never heard of this extra form that you spoke about Carnival requiring. What did that form ask for?

Brought our daughter's friend last year and we had a notarized letter saying she was authorized to travel with us and that we had permission to receive any medical treatment that was deemed necessary. This is important in case the child gets hurt. We also took copies of her insurance cards with us.

I would also take copies of the parent's photo ID along with insurance information. Make sure you have in writing all allergies as well as medications they are taking.

The insurance cards will not be accepted on any cruise ship, and will most likely not be accepted in foreign ports of call. If there is a medical emergency, you must pay out of pocket up front, and then submit the bill to the US insurance company when you return. As the designated "guardian" for the duration of the cruise, this will be your financial responsibility. Remember - you are outside the US, and many medical insurance companies will only cover a portion of treatment, and some not at all. My BC/BS is great here, but only covers me at 50% outside the US. I wouldn't even think of taking a minor child that wasn't mine on a cruise unless that child had purchased trip insurance to cover medical emergencies. There will be an international number on the policy that you can call collect to have funds advanced to cover medical treatment, especially in cases of foreign hospitalization or air evacuation. You have no idea how expensive medical treatment can be on a cruise ship or a foreign port! And - they want the money up front!

Carnival has a Parent/Guardian Permission Form that needs to be completed by you and the parent of the child you are bringing. The form needs to be faxed into Carnival at 305-406-8654. You can obtain this form from Carnival or your TA.

We included the insurance card info because we traveled two days prior to the cruise. You never go what may happen on the way to the ship. I also agree with the cruise insurance.

I just told her friends mom the cost of the insurance and that since we had already taken it that they had to also.

Archived