Grand Cayman on our own

newtons_mom

Hello! I will be visiting Grand Cayman on our November cruise to the Western Caribbean. We have rented a jeep to tour the island. We plan to go to Hell, the turtle farm, and the rum factory at our own pace. We know Hell and Turtle Farm aren't too time consuming. If there is time we would like to swim with the sting rays. Is it possible to drive over to the area of the beach where the tours go out to sting ray city and join a tour there, or do we have to schedule the excursion in advance? If so, where is the best place to pick up such tour? Any suggestions would be great! :o

We too are going to be in the Caymans in November and hope to spend some time on the beach with the kids (9 and 8). We are planning on renting a car and just driving around until we find the right place. I have heard of 7 mile (?) beach, but sounds like everyone goes there. Any other suggestions for quiet places?

Also, Newton's Mom, where did you rent from?

Thanks!

We booked our excursion with Captain Marvin's and then met them at their dock. We were there for the week, and arranged this ahead of time with them. With up to nine ships in port these days, I'd probably book ahead of time to make sure I had a spot for the stingray snorkel.

The great thing about renting a car is that you really can go anywhere you want. We were there for a week and we were all over that island. I don't think there's a street that we didn't drive down (except the gated homes area, but we even tried that). You could drive over to Rum Point, which is really a nice drive. It's about 45 minutes each way from the port area.

Over that direction (toward Rum Point) there are the blowholes, which are fun to watch. There a shop about a mile out of town called Pure Art, which we loved. Not many cruisers go there, because of the distance from the port, but it was our favorite shop. Lots of nice local art.

http://www.pureart.ky/

We used Andy's car rental for our car and saved money with a coupon that I found at Cayman Activity Guide (just type in the name and add dot com).

http://www.andys.ky/

If you really want to see Hell and the turtle farm, then I'd probably go there first. The road along 7MB tends to get clogged, so I'd do that, then head off to 7MB. Sea Grape is nice and so is Royal Palms...both cater to cruise ship people.

Here's the Royal Palms website. It's closer to the port area than Sea Grape, but both offer basically the same things.

http://www.reefgrill.com/index.html

But Rum Point is really more tropical, but it can be crowded, so the earlier you get there, the better. Rum Point has a nice restaurant, chairs (no fees-I believe). Someone posted pictures of RP here on the boards not too long ago. If you go to Hell and the turtle farm prior to this, there's a cut-off that will take you around George Town, which is nice if it's really a busy cruise ship day. We got a map from the car rental place and had no problems finding our way around. There aren't that many streets on the island...and all eventually lead to the same places.

The drivers there are extremely courteous. If the traffic is stopped, they will let you in. They honk and sometimes wave to show their appreciation if you them in. Traffic does not move that fast, so never did we feel overwhelmed with the driving part of it. There are several roundabouts, but you just yield (the signs say "Give Way") to those already in the roundabout.

There are several grocery stores around the port area...Hurley's, Foster's, and Kirk's which you could stop at for snacks. If you do buy anything, ask them to give you a total in USD (if you need that). Almost all the computers are equipted to do this automatically. Sometimes they have to write this in...but everyone was happy to do this for us. If you use USD, they may give you Cayman money as change. We asked for USD as change and they gave it to us if they had it. We mostly used our credit cards...which worked out nicely. When eating and drinking in Cayman, make sure and check your ticket carefully. Many (if not most of the places) places will automatically add on a 15% tip. You don't want to double tip. :)

Thank your for all the great feedback. I have heard so many people recommend Capt Marvins. I will email him. I think this is our best bet.

We rented a car through Avis. We wanted a jeep wrangler. We didn't see actual jeeps on Andy's website only suzuki's. This is why we chose Avis. However, Andy's is a popular rental company as well.

Thank your for all the great feedback. I have heard so many people recommend Capt Marvins. I will email him. I think this is our best bet.

We rented a car through Avis. We wanted a jeep wrangler. We didn't see actual jeeps on Andy's website only suzuki's. This is why we chose Avis. However, Andy's is a popular rental company as well.

We just used Andy's because they had what we were looking for at a good price. Avis will be fine...a jeep would be nice. There were five of us (plus luggage), so we needed something larger. :)

Ruth or Joan at CM's will help you with any questions you have. We used them the first time we were in GC (on a cruise), and again when we went down for a week. They also helped us find a condo for the week we were there. We're going back this Janurary, and plan on using them again. There's a gift shop right next door that has all sorts of neat Xmas ornaments (if you're looking for that sort of thing). The shop also has shirts, and things like that. CM's also has a small gift shop in their lobby. The second time we went, we met them at their dock. It's a short drive down 7MB (you turn next to the Courtyard Marriott).

Have a great time! Renting a vehicle is the way to see Grand Cayman at your own pace... :)

We just used Andy's because they had what we were looking for at a good price. Avis will be fine...a jeep would be nice. There were five of us (plus luggage), so we needed something larger. :)

Ruth or Joan at CM's will help you with any questions you have. We used them the first time we were in GC (on a cruise), and again when we went down for a week. They also helped us find a condo for the week we were there. We're going back this Janurary, and plan on using them again. There's a gift shop right next door that has all sorts of neat Xmas ornaments (if you're looking for that sort of thing). The shop also has shirts, and things like that. CM's also has a small gift shop in their lobby. The second time we went, we met them at their dock. It's a short drive down 7MB (you turn next to the Courtyard Marriott).

Have a great time! Renting a vehicle is the way to see Grand Cayman at your own pace... :)

Thank you for all for your help. We rented a jeep and drove around the island when we went to GC for Memorial Day weekend last may and know that is definitely the way to go. We missed out on the stingrays and excited to be able to do this part of GC in November. I will be in touch with Ruth or Joan. :D

Thank you for all for your help. We rented a jeep and drove around the island when we went to GC for Memorial Day weekend last may and know that is definitely the way to go. We missed out on the stingrays and excited to be able to do this part of GC in November. I will be in touch with Ruth or Joan. :D

Have a great time! :)

I was thrilled to see this post. My DH and I are also planning a November stop in GC. We decided we wanted to do things at our own pace after some hectic port excursions on our Alaskan cruise.

Hope the Nov cruisers have stopped by the Roll Call pages........smile

How do you get to Andys or Avis, taxi? How far is it?

Andy's has two locations (I've not used Avis)...one next to the airport and the other one on 7MB. Both are too far to walk to, but you could email them and see what they do for ship passengers. I would imagine that they both companies pick you up at the port area.

Andy's website....

http://www.andys.ky/

Archived