Elation cruise review 8/27-9/3/2006

dulcinea5002

Elation cruise review 8/27-9/3/06

We flew into Ft Lauderdale and took the Carnival transfer to the Port of Miami. The Carnival representatives at Ft Lauderdale airport were helpful and friendly. The bus ride to the port was about 45 mins. The price for the flight into Ft Lauderdale from Baltimore plus the price of the transfer was cheaper then the same combination into and from Miami airport. We arrived at the port, got off the bus and there was no one from carnival to meet us or give direction. It was obvious where we had to go but someone to meet the bus would have been nice….especially for first time cruisers. We took advantage of our Carnival Vacation club membership and went through the VIP check in. From the time we stepped off the bus until we were in our cabin was 15 mins. Very quick!!!

Our cabin (E106) on the Empress deck was nice and roomy enough for two people. It was even decorated with Bon Voyage streamers and wall decorations, plus there was a basket of fruit waiting for us as well. Not sure if that was from the Carnival Vacation club or because we were repeat cruisers on Carnival, but it was a very nice surprise. Elvio, our cabin Steward, was excellent. He was very responsive and friendly. He was “ninja like”, as he was always visible during his work hours but never in the way and we never saw him in our cabin. Each time we got back to our cabin, it was made up and cleaned.

On our initial exploration of the ship, walking on Lido deck in the pool area we were met with a barrage of crewmembers peddling “ the drink of the day”. We felt like we were being hassled, they kept coming and coming one after another. They would come by, offer, and even put the drink in your hand and then asked for your sail and sign card. They gave the impression that the drinks were complimentary. It was very irritating.

Due to the effects of tropical storm/hurricane Ernesto we were unable to go to Half Moon Cay. The sea conditions did not favor tender operations. Instead of HMC, Nassau was added to the end our itinerary. First port of call became Grand Turk, BWI. We were disappointed with Grand Turk. There was really nothing there except a beach and Margaritaville. As far as Margaritaville, it is more for the younger crowd. Techno music, dance contests etc. The pool was nice. The service was terrible. If you weren’t a blonde female, in your 20s or a local, good luck getting a drink without waiting a long period of time. The beach was nice. There were clamshells and lounge chairs for use on a first come, first serve basis. The beach was nice but deceiving. When you first get into the water the sand is very soft and feels good up until you step on your first piece of coral. Overall the beach is very nice; just watch out for the coral.

Second port was San Juan. Not much to say. We didn’t take an excursion. We did our own walking tour of Old San Juan. I have been there a few times before. El Moro and San Cristobal fort are nice especially the views they offer of the coastline. El Moro makes for great picture taking as you enter San Juan bay.

Next up was St. Thomas. We took the St. John champagne catamaran cruise excursion. It was well worth the money we spent of $89 per person. The catamaran cruise to St John was approximately 45-60 mins. We anchored in about 15 Feet of crystal clear blue water, off a beautiful beach on St John. I snorkeled; the water was beautiful and warm. I’m an avid snorkeler and thought the previously times I snorkeled on Puerto Rico and Curacao were better, but the snorkeling in St Johns was very good. For those people that didn’t snorkel, the crew of the catamaran “Adventurer” put them in a zodiac and brought them to the beach. The beaches are so beautiful. From the other passengers on Elation, who went to the other beaches on St Thomas, they too had only wonderful things to say.

Next port was Nassau. There were three other cruise ships in at the time beside Elation. Getting in and out and then through the ship terminal was a bit of a pain in the rear just because all the people trying to get through one exit at the same time. Beware of the pay phones outside of the ships and inside the terminal. If you use the service provided which is a credit and not a calling card, it is extremely expensive. We made the mistake and were charged $7.99 a min with a 5 minute minimum. The call didn’t go through, and we are now trying to dispute the $39.00 charge for a call that never happened. We took the horse and buggy ride right outside the ship terminal. Initially they said $20 each but after saying “no” a few times they came down in price to a total of $30 for the two of us. The buggy ride was nice but short, only lasted about 15 mins. But, it gave us a good idea of what was in the main part of Nassau. Again, we didn’t opt for an excursion and chose to shop in town on our own. Don’t just shop in the first block of stores. Walk one more block into the town. The stores are cleaner and you will have more selections to choose from.

Now back to the Elation. We found the ship to be very clean and well decorated. The atrium is beautiful. Miniature golf on the sports deck, along with a basketball and volleyball court and three ping-pong tables were available. The pools seemed small and crowed, as were the jacuzzis. As a matter of fact, I watched some kids playing “Marco Polo” in one of the jacuzzis. The dining room was nice. We ate in the Imagination dining room. We thought the menu selections were limited and the menu wasn’t accurate in describing the food selection. The food was ok. not great, although I had the Grouper meal and it was excellent. In the alternate dining room “Tiffany’s”, there were only two serving lines, which made for long lines at times. There was a serving line on the Lido deck pool area that served excellent hamburgers along with hot dogs, and grilled chicken. We found the tables in Tiffany’s to be crowded and always in use in front near the serving lines. In the rear of the dining room near the windows, there were tables that were always available. Also there were outside tables through the rear doors of Tiffany’s that were a nice quiet place to eat…..if you wanted to sit outside. Those tables were always available to sit down.

The cruise director Jorge and his staff, Josh “Big Sexy”, Stitch, Terry and Kat were fabulous and very personable. Jorge is great and he is very funny; funnier in fact, then the onboard comedians.

The bars, clubs and lounges onboard were excellent and always an excellent spot to dance; listen to music or just have a drink.

Upon returning to the Port of Miami we used the self-assist embarkation and carried/pulled our own luggage off the ship. It was easy and fast. Going through customs was a breeze with no lines. Customs just looked at our passports and took our customs declaration paperwork and we were off to the catch the bus back to the airport

The Elation was a beautiful ship. It was definitely a FUN Ship to be on. It was smaller then the Carnival Spirit that we took our other two cruises on and I think we prefer the bigger class ships that Carnival offers. Overall, we really enjoyed the cruise and Elation. Cruise Director Jorge and his staff make cruising on the Elation a fun experience and well worth it. If we have the chance to sail on Elation again with a different itinerary we would definitely make time for that cruise.

Thanks for the great review!! I was wondering, how was the makeup of passengers that you noticed?

I know there all all ages, but were they alot of kids? Singles? Young people? Just wondering. I am doing my first solo in over 15 years on 9/24 and just wondering!

Thanks!

How much time did you have at St John and which beach did they take you too. Trying to decide to book excursion or just go over to St John on our own. Were any drinks or food provided? TIA.

The total time of the excursion was about 4 1/2 hrs. 90mins of that was spent at anchor off the beach over at St Johns . I'm not sure which beach it was, I know it was part of a national park. On the catamaran, complimentry drinks were available; soda, beer,champagne. As for food just mainly finger foods; cheese, bread, chips, fruit.

Thanks for the great review!! I was wondering, how was the makeup of passengers that you noticed?

I know there all all ages, but were they alot of kids? Singles? Young people? Just wondering. I am doing my first solo in over 15 years on 9/24 and just wondering!

Thanks!

There were alot of kids, pre-teens and teens. That was mostly because ,I would assume, it was the last week of summer vacation before going back to school in some areas. If you are going on 9/24, I wouldn't think there will be as many kids as on our cruise. As for ages, it varied. I would have to guess most were in their 30's & 40's. There were many that were older and many in there 20's as well. I'm sure there were singles onboard as well, but as for their numbers, I couldn't even guess. Enjoy !

Archived