Handicapped Cabins on MSC Opera or Lirica

dr28326

Does anyone have any experience with the handicapped cabins on either of thee 2 ships? Basically the door widths and room sizes? How about excursions for Caribbean or Mexico sailings out of Ft Lauderdale?

My wife and I, who is ablebodied, cruised on the Lirica for 7 days. I am confined to a wheelchair. We wanted to try out this Italian ship which is fairly new to the Caribbean. We departed from Ft. Lauderdale on Jan 13, 2006. The ship's floor plan was well designed, especially for a wheelchair, except there was a one-inch rib across the floor occasionally. I "popped" over the bumps, but an unathletic wheelchair person might need to be taken backwards over them. Waiters and room stewards were friendly and helpful. Food was mediocre. There was a variety of entertainment; we especially enjoyed listening to the 15-piece "big band" in the evening. The cruise director spoke five different languages when he made announcements.

We were in interior cabin 9053 which we found quite comfortable. It is 15' x 14' with a single bed on each side of the room. There are only four handicapped cabins on the ship. There is plenty of closet and drawer space, and the bathroom is laid out well - with a sturdy pull-down shower seat. My wheelchair is 26" wide and I had inches to spare through all doors. We found the entire ship was wheelchair friendly.

Archived