Young People on Holland

moski

Hi I have cruised many, many times but never on Holland. I have sons 17 and 19....just wondering if this is the cruiseline for their age group. If anyone has commments I would definitely appreciate them. We will be cruising on a

February 17 or 18th departure. Thanks.

Hi I have cruised many, many times but never on Holland. I have sons 17 and 19....just wondering if this is the cruiseline for their age group. If anyone has commments I would definitely appreciate them. We will be cruising on a

February 17 or 18th departure. Thanks.

Hi Moski:

I would say this age group is the most difficult to cater for. HAL has no programs in place for the over 17 and under 21 age bracket. Your sons will be part of a comparatively small group. If your sons are socialable, are self-motivated, enjoy various activities and interacting with people of different age groups, then they should be fine.

My 17-year-old daughter travelled with us in late August, on our first cruise ever, when many young people her age were already heading back to school, so she didn't encounter very many other passengers in her age range. She managed to enjoy herself, anyway, except for an unfortunate bout of seasickness. However, she will not be cruising with us again, not because she didn't like HAL, but because she's not crazy about cruising in general. She prefers to travel on land.:)

The entertainment staff, Club HAL staff, and cruise director's staff are comprised largely of young people in their early to mid twenties, I would say. So you will see young faces. Good luck, and Bon Voyage!

Presidents' Week is hit or miss, in terms of kids of any age on all cruise lines because schools are increasingly not giving them an entire week off.

As MaM said, the 17-21 set ( College age) has a more challenging time meeting other kids on any cruise line because most activities are geared to younger children.

I am thinking your best bet , at this time of year,may be a cruise on RCCL, one of the newer and bigger ships. While this is not going to be the same experience as HAL, I think the boys will have a better shot at mixing and mingling, simply because the ships carry more passengers and some are going to be in this hard to please age bracket.

The good news is that they have each other and that makes it easier to "Get Out There". Hope this helps.

However, she will not be cruising with us again, not because she didn't like HAL, but because she's not crazy about cruising in general. She prefers to travel on land.:)

Will Leah's position on cruising change your December plans or is it still up in the air?

My son and I just cruised on the Westerdam last week. He is barely 18. It was really different/difficult for him at first, because he was used to organized activities with the teen group. We did have a great time and went on lots of fun excursions in port.

As far as the ship, he enjoyed the dance classes (he is a dancer) and went with me to the trivia games. He enjoyed most of the evening shows, karaoke and dancing in the nightclub area, "Northern Lights???". He got to know the young American staff, mostly dancers on the cruise, and he even taught them a new line dance late one night. The crew he talked to said the 18-30 year old single age was the hardest age to "find a place" on the ship to call their own, since the numbers are low.

You can approach the cruise director and youth director on board and see if they will let both sons hang out with the older teens. My son just seemed to jump in to adult life and adjust. Occaissionally he went and hung out in the video arcade games area (they take quarters, usually $1 per game). There is a money change machine in the arcade room.

Hope this helps. Have a great cruise. You have the Crown Princess in your signature; which HAL ship are thinking of changing to?

However, she will not be cruising with us again, not because she didn't like HAL, but because she's not crazy about cruising in general. She prefers to travel on land.:)

Will Leah's position on cruising change your December plans or is it still up in the air?

I don't wish to hijack Moski's thread, so I'll be brief here. After much discussion, Leah is staying home this Christmas, while the rest of us go on the cruise. It's not what I had planned, but it will work. We have MANY relatives who live nearby, so Leah will have plenty of company for the holidays. I hope this doesn't sound too odd.

Karin

I don't wish to hijack Moski's thread, so I'll be brief here. After much discussion, Leah is staying home this Christmas, while the rest of us go on the cruise. It's not what I had planned, but it will work. We have MANY relatives who live nearby, so Leah will have plenty of company for the holidays. I hope this doesn't sound too odd.

Karin

Being a mom of an 18 year old daughter, nothing sounds odd:)

It's wonderful that you can respect eachother's preferences.

I generally agree that other cruise lines might offer more to interest an 18 year old, but the ship is large and there are many things to enjoy in addition to the arcade. Personally, I could spend an entire cruise going between the dining room, the pool and the card room.

Archived