Waverunners in Labadee - VOS 7/30

Hi everyone! If I choose not to sign up for the RCI excursion for waverunners in Labadee, is there a beach we can go to and sign up for two on the spot? Also, for those of you who did do the RCI waverunner tour, I hear you have to stay in line with "the leader", some people go slow, go fast, etc. etc. Isn't that annoying? That's why I'm wondering if I have other alternatives besides the ships' excursion. Thanks in advance from a first cruiser 7/30/04!

Doreen

No alternatives, but yes, you do play follow the leader. They have the people who want to go faster up front and then the slower ones are followed by a chase person. As far as signing up at the beach, might not be a good idea as this excursion sells out quickly. You do know, if you like, you can have two people on one waverunner for the $99 price. It is a lot of fun. Have done it two times and will be doing it again this year.

Also, there are no alternatives to excursions at Labadee.

We've never been on wave runners before, but we're considering this excursion. We're a family of four, but the two girls are too young to drive (9 and 12). Would they be given life jackets? Should we wear goggles for eye protection (like on the bananna boats)?

Thanks.

Mrs Pete

I haven't tried the waverunners in Labadee. I have two kids 14 and 13, and in the states we had to wear life jackets and we rented goggles (although I don't see why you can't just use swimming goggles). There was a safety "clip" attached to lifejacket so if you fell off (and it's very hard to do that) the engine turned off automatically.

TomCat - Thanks for the info - I just booked the waverunners and it's a good thing because there were only a few times available!!

Maybe you can answer Mrs. Petes question?

Thanks Again.

Doreen

Everyone wears a life jacket.. and the person riding behind has a harness to stay with the person driving. I'm not a follow the leader type, and thought I would hate that, but they've got it down and it works really well. I was number 2 in line and the people in front of me wanted to go just as fast I did and it was a complete blast. And you stop periodically, and the group leader and the group "chaser" both ask and self determine whether there needs to be a change in the order.

I would not wait to sign up. And anything like a hat or sunglasses will not stay on unless they are tied to you somehow by a strap. Also, everything gets wet. Be sure to put anything you want to keep dry in those water tight pouches, and I would not bring a digital camera out there. Buy one of the waterproof disposables. Heavier stuff you leave in cubbies at the waverunner shack and it's all very safe.

We did the waverunners in Labadee. If you are a beginner, this would be good for you. If not, you might be disappointed. Our excursion leaders didn't ask to put us in order of who wanted to go fast/slow. It was "who wants to be #1?" "who wants to be #2?" We were 3 or 4. The people in front of us went VERY slow, like 5 mph. The people behind us wanted to go fast, so we were sandwiched the whole time. It was neat to see the cruise ship up so close as we drove by. It was neat to see the other pier abandoned by Crown Princess, I think. It was neat to seat Port A Prince (or whatever town it was), but water on trip wasn't clear enough to see fish.

Here is another link on this topic.http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=50981

Personally, I enjoyed the snorkeling we did on labadee more than the waverunner tour. We saw starfish, some rocklike fish, several barracuda, and some very beautiful colorful fish. The beaches were clear, and you could see a lot of fish as you go around some of the beaches into the rocky cliff areas.

Whatever you do, I'm sure it'll be fun.

..well if you get a "leader" who does not ask if there's a problem with the speed/order, then say something at the first stop. They will adjust the order, no problem.

The other reason it's follow the leader is because of submerged reefs in the area...

Mrs. Pete be aware that this isn't the easiest shore excursion. We had a blast be my daughter arms were killing her for at least 2 days afterward. We should have switched drivers but didn't.

Hi we just got back from the 7-2 sailing and we did the kayate in Labadee. That was alot of fun and our two boys enjoyed it also. The water park there is a ton of fun. Be sure to sign up for that. Labadee is a real nice beach and a nice day.

My husband and girls did the waverunners in Labadee last Summer. They had a blast. The driver can't be intimidated, as the ride is rough and fast. I'm a chicken so my husband booked two excursions, one right after the other, to take each daughter. They all loved it, but he was hurting for a few days. It's a workout but worth it so they tell me!

I did the waverunners in Labadee and had a great time! There is so much more to look at than riding wave runners in a triangle pattern in front of a hotel on the Atlantic. Our group leaders did ask "Who likes to go fast" and tried to put them up front. However, on our first leg of the trip one of the Go Fast guys must have had his own opinion as to what Fast meant. Some of us on the rear was having to be very careful not to run over each other as he backed up traffic. He was sent to the back of the pack and the rest of our group was properly reordered. There was ample times I was able to run wide open.

Labadee was a blast!!! If you snorkel see if you can find the plane in the bay.

Archived