Noordam Suites vs RCL Suites

Racinrhonda

Hello -

I'm looking into my first HAL cruise and comparing their suites to RCL's Radiance. I have three questions and would appreciate help from anyone familiar with both or knowledge of HAL Noordam suites:

1. From the HAL photos I've seen the following suites look much smaller than RCL. RCL lists balcony sf separately and it appears that HAL includes it but it still looks way smaller. See specific comparisons below.

2. I'm also confused about bedding options of deluxe and Superior suites - queen vs. king - I've seen queen referred to as two twins put together which to me seem as large as a king, but if it's the same why distinguish it as a queen? Are they different in size?

3. How is the closet and drawer space on HAL Superior and Deluxe suites - are they walk ins?

HAL Noordam Superior Verandah Suite 389 sf

Comp to: RCL: Radiance - Grand Ste - 358-384 plus 106 sf balcony

HAL: Noordam Deluxe Verandah Ste: 528 sf (includes balc ?)

Comp to: RCL Owner's Suite - 512 sf plus 57 sf balcony (The owner's ste on RCL has a dining table for four, sectional sofa, and big screen TV, and appears to be so much larger than HAL)

Thanks -

Hell Racinrhonda. I have not been in a RCL suite. It my be a liilte larger, but HAl service is much beeter in my humble opinion. The beds are certinly more comfortable on HAl. I was recently on the Randience and my next cruise is going to be back on HAl. So far they have had the most comfortable beds and the best serivce for me.

Any way you go it is all amatter of atituide. If you want a good tome you'll have it. If you want to find little things to complain about you will.

You can't go wrong with a HAll suit onf any class.

:)

Thanks for your input CruiseBumm -:) I'm not a huge complainer, primarily because I do a great deal of research to make sure I know what I'm entering into. Space isn't a top priority, I just want to compare and choose properly for the best buy. I've heard rave reviews of HAL from this board. I loved the Radiance to Alaska in 06 and want to try something new and different up the inside passage next summer.

If anyone else has good knowledge, please let me know as I want to make the right choices. Comfy beds are a plus for sure!

Thanks again!

Hi Racinrhonda,

Welcome to the HAL board.

HAL ships are much smaller than RCI and also have fewer pax. The Noordam, HAL's latest and greatest, still has the pax to space ratio that is unequaled giving HAL ships that uncrowded feel. Lots of nooks and crannies to hide, relax or read, and lots of personal service and amenities.

The S category suites have full size whirlpool tubs, dual sinks, and a separate shower stall and a separate dressing area with vanity with drawer space and lighted make-up mirror. The SS have all the above except the dressing area. Desk and dressers have drawer space as well as the locking night tables and under bed storage drawers. Mini-bars, fridges, safes, DVD, and DVD library, champagne from the captain in S, concierge privileges, laundry and drycleaning, corsages, invitations to suite events, priority tendering, daily delivery of dinner menus, table for 4 on veranda.

The atmosphere is more traditional ocean liner than floating resort; Having sailed both, We prefer HAL.

GN

Hi,

Such choices to choose from - if only this were my dilema.

We have been in a grand suite on RCL and just a regular balcony on HAL. I would choose anything on HAL with a balcony over RCL. The suite was nice but the service and amenties you get on HAL outweigh everything on RCL.

Everything you get on RCL you get on HAL plus more. What is important to you? If you want to feel special, feel relaxed have great service and great food then HAL is for you.

If late night entertainment is important to you, I mean really late...then RCL might have the edge...it does draw a younger crowd.

You wont go wrong with any of those cabins, but if pricing and itinerary are the same then HAL gets the upper hand.

Sigh, only one HAL cruise and I am so hooked! Can you tell I had a great time on Westerdam?:D

Hi. We sailed on Adventure of the Seas and Voyager of the Seas (both in a grand suite) in between those cruises, we sailed on the Zuiderdam in a deluxe suite. We much preferred the suite on the Zuiderdam .We liked the layout of the cabin better and it felt larger. The furniture on the balcony was more upscale and it was definately a step up from RCCL. Also the beds were much more comfortable on HAL. The only thing I liked better on RCL was the Conceirge lounge served cocktails free of charge which was a nice perk as DH and I like to have a drink before dinner. We had a choice of cruise lines and chose HAL for our Mediterranean cruise because of the level of service,the new "signature of excellence" program ,and we think the food onboad HAL is far superior to RCCL. We've booked an SS suite (smaller than the deluxe suite we've enjoyed before), but it is more than adequate for the two of us. Mary

Thanks so much to all of you for your help. I'm pretty much sold on HAL for my second trip to Alaska because of what you all have said. The cost seems to be a little higher but not that much when comparing the two.

I guess looking at their photos really doesn't give a good feel for the room and I'm having trouble bringing up their 360 panoramas for some reason. The dressing area Grannynurse mentioned must be where some of the space I'm not seeing in the pic is going. In RCL, there seems to be more open room but pics can be deceptive.

A customer service rep called me the next day after I requested a brochure online - I was really impressed and he was really nice. I do think RCL is nice and AK was great with them but our Caribbean was a lot of hustle and bustle. I would enjoy the older crowd but hope my 13 year old will have other teens to hang with.

And Karen - I know what you mean about the late shows - I had to drink Red Bull about 10 p.m. everynight just to keep up with my nieces and nephews, lol!

Do you remember that line..

Holland America started the Cruise Business from Rotterdam, Holland to NYC.

Being first is usually best especially if your still doing it too.

HAL did the Alaskan marketplace and own much of the equipment and facilities after they purchased the firm which was the leader then..

H A L staff has the lowest turnover rate of any cruise line and the most repeat guests on board her ships... Now that does speak Texas volumes...

Once your on one of her vessels you will see and experience the differences and the staff will always remember you.

On our last voyage this year on the MS/Noordam IV I saw some people I had not seen in a while and they remembered us by name...

What great training they provide there staff with having schools set up in there countries ... H A L is very eco friendly also. A green line.

We are probably going to obtain 4 cabins this fall now again on her.

Archived