westerdam aft cabin questions (cat va)

Olive

I am booked in VA6154, which is one of the center aft balcony cabins. I find myself pretty confused about differences in tha cabin widths/sizes and balcony depths of the aft VAs on different decks. What do people prefer? I'm not concerned about "coverage" from above, since I like the sun. Is it true that the aft balcony cabins are smaller than the non-aft? Is it true that some aft balcony cabins are wider than others in the same category (VA)? What are the differences in the VA cabins on 6 versus 4 and 5 decks? Any illumination will be greatly appreciated.

- Olive

I am booked in VA6154, which is one of the center aft balcony cabins. I find myself pretty confused about differences in tha cabin widths/sizes and balcony depths of the aft VAs on different decks. What do people prefer? I'm not concerned about "coverage" from above, since I like the sun. Is it true that the aft balcony cabins are smaller than the non-aft? Is it true that some aft balcony cabins are wider than others in the same category (VA)? What are the differences in the VA cabins on 6 versus 4 and 5 decks? Any illumination will be greatly appreciated.

- Olive

Olive, we sailded in cabin 4183 (aft, wake facing) on Westerdam last november. Many people are torn about the aft, and my advice to you is to try it once and see how you like it. It wasn't my favorite on Westerdam, at least on deck 4, for the following reasons: it was HOT...no shade, and no breeze. In the Caribbean, you want that. YES, the balcony is HUGE..this is a real treat...and a reason to try these cabins. The cabin may be a tad smaller, but the balcony is so huge, you dont really mind it. I dont' know the cabin differences in 5 versus 4, but here's what we experienced on deck 4. Major, major vibration from the engines. I.e.- water shakin' on the table, rock yourself to sleep engine movement. We found it sort of soothing, but I have never been so aware of engine movement on another ship. Many others have been aft on this ship and haven't noticed it at all. You just never know. Try it out!

Also, we had lots of soot on our balcony daily, from the smokestacks or cigars, or who knows what. It is still a mystery. It is very pretty and peaceful back there, but I'd choose a higher deck (less vibration) and perhaps a shaded deck (maybe that is deck 8...I'm not sure??). You can't go wrong trying it once. It has its perks and downfalls, but is worth the experience. I hope this helps you out.

Archived