Cinque Terre or Siena and Chianti

My husband and I will be visiting the port of Livorno this September. For those of you who have experienced these regions, please share your opinions about whether you would prefer to visit Cinque Terre or Siena and Chianti for the day. It would be an added bonus if you could tell me why. They both seem beautiful and each with their own charms, based on guide books, so it very difficult to chose never having been there.

Thanks so much!

The Cinque Terre are only accessible by sea, train or by foot (maybe by donkey as well) as there are no roads to the five towns in that region. It would be best to do one or two of the following towns in a day trip: Siena, the Chianti, Volterra, San Gimignano or Lucca. I say this since I assume you have already been to Florence. Out of the localities mentioned only Lucca is north of Livorno. If you do choose to go that way, you would go through Pisa first. You could also go to Pistoia or even onto the Apuan Alps north of Lucca to see the marble quarries and visit Massa and Carrara. Ask your TA whether he/she has any info about tour operators or check the internet for small group tours in these areas. If you need any more info or have questions, just ask and someone here will have the answer.

Cheers

Hornblower, thank you for the reply. I have been to San Gimignano, Siena, and Florence. However, I did not feel that I had enough time in Siena during my last visit. And Chianti looks magical, based on all of the photographs I have seen.

I already have a private guide who is willing to take us on whichever tour we choose. He said that one of his personal favorites is Cinque Terre and I have read lots of positive information regarding CT. I understand that we will have to do some easy hiking to reach the towns.

I would really like to know which areas different travellers enjoyed more, in their opinion, and why. I think that this kind of feedback will truly help me to decide what I would like to do during my one precious day in this region. Hopefully, this information will inform and help others who read it, as well.

I have never been to the Cinque Terre only passing through by train on my way to Turin in Piedmont in northern Italy. I lived in the province of Lucca for 6 years so I do know the place reasonably well. If your tour guide recommends the Cinque Terre then I suggest go with that otherwise try Lucca and whatever else he can fit in close by. Do a search on the old messageboard re: Lucca, or do a Google search.

The Chianti is the other option, but there isn't as much of medieval Tuscany to see there except of course the places you've already been to. If Umbria was a little closer you could go to Perugia, Gubbio and Assisi, but no one really wants to spend too much time sitting in a mini-van. See what your guide has to say.

Cheers

I've been to Cinque Terre, San Gimignano, Chianti, and Siena. I absolutely loved Cinque Terre. There is a lot of walking if you walk all five towns, but you can walk a few of them, and then take the train to the rest like we did. The views are wonderful, and it's right on the water. They are quaint little towns. I would definitely recommend it.

I've also been to Chianti and Siena, and I loved them as well. If you take a wine tour, Chianti is wonderful. However, I think I would choose Cinque Terre (although Chianti is close behind!).

Have a great trip!

We have been to both Cinque Terre and Siena and would go back to either in a heartbeat (three days in each)! They are very different. Siena offers more of a city with shopping, interesting places to eat and great neighborhoods to wander through. Cinque Terra is beautiful - great for hiking and "outdoorsie" activities. Very laid-back and a trip back in time. Depending on your interests I would say both are wonderful experiences. If you have any specific questions, I'd be more than happy to respond.

Fran

Thanks to everyone for your responses!

Fran, I suppose my next question is: If you were able to to go to either Siena or CT for a day, which would be your first choice? :)

Also, our ship will be stopping in Naples and my husband and I will be spending the day along the Amalfi Coast. Is CT sort of duplicating the Amalfi Coast experience, or are they very different experiences?

Thank you once again!

That's easy. . .Siena, because I bought some beautiful dishes there and broke one - I'd love to get more!

All kidding aside, I would go to Siena - more to do and see - I'd love to sit on the Compo at one of the open air restaurants for lunch - wander the side streets - shop - if you can be there at dusk, the sunset is beautiful - the building glow with the color of (guess what) Siena!!!! CT is delightful, but if you are not into hiking (I'm not), there isn't a whole lot else to do. Actually, we did laundry there! However, having said that, there is a wonderful restaurant in Vernazza which overhangs the sea where not only is the view unbelievable, the the food is the idea of what Italy is all about. There is also a sweet wine that you can only find there (I've sure tried locally) that is fantastic - Sciacchetra - have a glass for me!

Fran

Mad4cruising, Fran has given you some great info. I think the next time you are pondering a trip over to Italy I suggest you take a week to explore the whole of Tuscany and include the Cinque Terre and Umbria (Perugia, Gubbio, Assisi, Orvieto, etc).

The Amalfi Coast or Cinque Terre? That’s a good question. They are sort of similar, but the Amalfi Coast is not as secluded, it’s more accessible and ritzy. Since you are going to Naples I suggest visiting this place and when in Tuscany go to either Lucca or the Chianti. For some good info on Lucca and environs go to: Frommer’s Lucca and Lucca side trips.

For other localities in the region go to: Frommer’s Tuscany and Umbria.

For Amalfi and Positano go to: Frommer’s Amalfi and Positano.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

mad4cruising....we cruised on the Millennium in June 2004 and took the train from Livorno to Cinque Terre (about 2 hours) very easy and hiked the 1st 2 villages and the scenary was spectatular. The first hike "via D'amore" (lovers lane) is only 15-20 minutes and very easy and scenic along the cliffs by ocean the next is a little harder and about 40 minutes. We then took train to Vernazza and had the best Pesto at a harbor side restuarant. We enjoed Cinque Terre so much we are going again in 2005.

Archived