Roll Call- QM2- November 25, 2006

DGF

Yes, from lack of responses it would appear there are not many Cruise Critic Viewers on this cruise

When we get our package from Cunard and do some planning, will make contact so we can get together

Have you done any planning on the excursions.

Have a great weekend

Judy & Steve

We are having the same problem as you are= unlike the rest of the industry Cunard does not provide much info on their excursions. I expect we will have to wait for info package to be mailed from them.

In the interim, as we have been to Grand Cayman before, we can provide you with info we collected for that port. Please contact us at DGFCruising@aol.com

For those who may be monitoring this thread and do not want to disclose their e-mail address (we understand given the amount of junk medical e-mails we receive), we will attempt to add the info but will lose some of the material

We were aboard the Disney Magic with our children and grand children- Jan 31, 06- Cayman - AM Ship arrives 7:00 AM. Guest ashore 7:30 AM. Assemble Buena Visa Theatre at 7:20 AM to get first tender. Got on to the first tender without any problem. Walked up to Captain Marvin's store/ tour shop. Checked in. Paid in cash as requested

Captain Marvin's Short Excursion (approx. 2.5 hours); Times: 8:30 AM to 10:30 AM, Tour consists of:

· Stingray City sandbar, where you may feed and swim with the Stingrays (35 minutes)

· Snorkel at the incredible Barrier Reef or the Coral Gardens (35 minutes)

Price: US$35/ages 12 and over; US$27.50/ages 4-11; under age 4, free! Price includes round-trip transportation from the Waterfront Centre, (is two blocks from where ship tenders), PLUS snorkel gear, life vest (optional), food for the stingrays, and ice water and fruit punch on board the boat.

Contact Info: Ph: (345) 945-6975; E-mail: info@captainmarvins.com 1-866-978-0022. Web site- www.captainmarvins.com/

If ship does not dock- "If for any reason your ship cannot stop here

on its scheduled day, you will not be charged for your trip".

Our experience- They took us in a small bus van to their docking facilities and boarded. Party size of approx 15-20. Boat had a washroom aboard. Provided snorkel equipment- fins, mask, small flotation vest, bottled water. First took us out to the reefs for a 30 minute stop. Not many fish and coral not colourful= brown looking. Certainly not too impressive. Next stop was the sandbar at Stingray City. Could walk in water up to your waist, feed the Stingrays and was able to pet and or hold them in your hands. A memorable MUST DO experience. Left after 30 some minutes, back to dock, and bus to shop

Note: Grand Cayman is a tender port that is sometimes difficult to get into. Ships tender passengers to one of two George Town docks (North or South), both of which are right in downtown George Town. There is a small area allocated as an anchorage and other than that, ships must either drift or otherwise remain at sea for the duration of their visit. The tender ride is somewhat long.Our experience- not the case; but given the size of the QM2 may be a major problem

Ships in Port Same Day http://www.cruisecal.com/dnn/

PM Back to ship for lunch- Note: Reviews on island indicate long line ups= may not be able to get back for lunch.Our experience- no problem. Disney was using two gangways and the port's launches which were double deckers. Returned for lunch aboard the ship and then went back. GF & Sherri went shopping and DF walked down to Seven Mile Beach- a good 45 to 60 minute walk. Beach starts as rocky with sand then blossoms into a beautiful golden coloured sand beach. Went as far as the Marriot and then walked back along the road. Future- take the bus to one of the major hotels and then walk the beach.

Seven Mile Beach by bus. Fare is CI$1.50 each way Get advice on transit time due to traffic congestion. Note: Will need Cayman money for bus. Best beach starts between Tarquyn Manor and the Reef Grill at Royal Palms

Web sites

http://www.caymanislands.ky/canada/

www.caribbeanportreviews.com/GrandCayman.htm#Dock- Has pictures, and many personal reviews

"Nestled in the calm, turquoise waters of the western Caribbean, lies the peaceful British Overseas Territory known as the Cayman Islands. Consisting of three islands just 480 miles south of Miami, Grand Cayman, Cayman Brac, and Little Cayman remain our little piece of paradise."

Fodors- Top 4 attractions

· Underwater visibility (about 120 feet) is among the best in the Caribbean, and nearby, healthy reefs make this one of the Caribbean's top dive destinations.

· With no panhandlers, little crime, and excellent resorts and restaurants, it's an easy place to vacation.

A snorkeling trip to Sting Ray Sandbar is an experience you'll always remember.

http://cruises.about.com/cs/caribbeanports/a/stingray_city.htm

http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/CaptainBryan.htm

http://www.absolutedivers.com/stingray_city.htm (private small boat for $400. Decided too expensive)

Operators- read all of the review at shoretrip web site (see following). The following three boat operators had several good reviews: Captain Marvin (www.captainmarvins.com) which had the most compliments; Moby Dick (www.mobydicktours.com); Native Way Water Sports www.nativewaywatersports.com/shiptours.html (one report included lunch at Rum Point where boat operator phoned ahead)

Back up if too rough for snorkeling- glass bottom boat. This shore excursion is a good way to see the graceful stingrays on a windy day or if you don't want to get wet! Refer to article at end of Grand Cayman info

Notes from reviews: http://www.shoretrips.com/common/search3.asp?rcode=CAR&lcode=GCM

At first it can be a little intimidating when a good size Sting Ray comes up and bumps you looking for food but you soon get used to it.

You must make sure if you want to go to the area that is only 3-4 feet of water that is called the ‘sandbar’ there are areas of stingray city that you can snorkel or scuba dive and it is in about 15 feet. My boss went to the deeper area on a last minute trip booked on the pier and they just snorkeled while the handlers feed the stingrays. So keep this in mind so you get what you want. The other thing I was told from our tour operators are the stingrays are more relaxed as the morning goes on because they are fed more – makes sense. They are still hungry but earlier in the morning they may be more aggressive. So again, which ever you prefer. We went on the 10am tour so they were already very well feed, they were still very hungry but they were not aggressive by any means. I am wondering if that was why the last time they wouldn’t let us feed them because I remember it was very early in the morning. The sandbar is very crowded so much more than the last time I went, but I was pleasantly surprised that there were so many stingrays, more than enough to go around.

If you purchase a tour package to go see the stingrays, make sure you get the one that only goes there and not the one that includes another stop for lunch.

Also check to ensure you are given an opportunity to feed the stingrays- We were all going on the ship’s stingray city tour. Normally I would not go on the ship’s tour I would book a private excursion. In this case, we did not even know if we were going there for sure so I didn’t want to have to contact the tour company and cancel. This way, if the ship wasn’t going, our excursion would be cancelled by the ship. The other factor was we were also not there a full day. Since we had to be back on a tender at 2-2:30pm and stingray city is quite far I didn’t want to worry about this. The ship’s tour was fine there actually was not as much of a cattle boat as I was expecting. We had plenty of time with the stingray’s and the 2 handlers on our boat made sure everyone who wanted to feed or hold the stingray’s got to do so. As it was, hardly any people actually did want to feed or hold them. Some people didn’t even get off the boat. One of the handlers, Ed brought my nephew back to boat because he was terrified by the stingrays, so my sister- in -law and I somehow became in charge of the stingray feed. These stingray’s recognize the bucket the food is in and they all came running, or should I say swimming. I had been there before but they did not let us feed them, this time I was feeding those stingray’s all kinds. At some point I would have two climbing up my front and one climbing on my back! I just love sea creatures so I was not worried about them harming me I was more concerned to not hurt them. I think they are marvelous and I love stingray city.

Good news and bad news about Georgetown; it is a beautiful town with a beautiful harbor with crystal clear water. Unfortunately, there’s no pier and everyone has to be tendered to and from the ship. This can lead to some long waiting times both getting off and getting back on the ship.

This is probably one of the only ports I would recommend a shore excursion and that is the one to see Stingray City. Some advice about this; first, make sure you go in the morning. When the stingrays hear the boats coming in the morning, it’s like someone ringing a dinner bell. However, because they feast in the morning, they are not as interactive in the afternoon and you miss out on all the fun. The stingrays are extremely docile and playful. (Another article where was pouring rain, heavy seas and private boat still went out, stayed 15 minutes at the sand bar and too rough to do the rest of the tour- but still had to pay full fare)

Occasionally, they will actually adhere to your body with their mouths and suck on your skin, leaving big ‘hickies’. So if you handle pieces of squid to feed the stingrays, don’t touch other parts of your body. But it’s worth it just to see and pet them. There are usually several shore excursions that include a stop at Stingray City. I highly recommend that you take one that includes a stop there and Coral Gardens. Otherwise, after about 20-30 minutes, you’ll get bored with the stingrays and there’s nothing else to see since it’s a white sanding bottom. If you take the excursion that includes Coral Gardens, you also get to snorkel and see some fantastic coral and beautiful fish. There are several companies offering these trips, so you do not need to purchase one through the cruise line along with everyone else.

· Grand Cayman's Seven Mile Beach- West Bay Rd.- Grand Cayman's west coast is dominated by the famous Seven Mile Beach -- actually a 5½-mi (9-km) -long expanse of powdery white sand. Though the width of the beach varies, Hurricane Ivan has widened it tremendously; toward the south end it narrows and disappears altogether, leaving only rock and ironshore. The beach starts to widen into its normal silky softness anywhere between Tarquyn Manor and the Reef Grill at Royal Palms. Free of litter and peddlers it's an unspoiled (though sometimes crowded) environment. Most of the island's resorts, restaurants, and shopping centers are along this strip. At the public beach toward the north end you can find chairs for rent ($10 for the day, including a beverage) and plenty of water toys, two beach bars, restrooms, and showers.

Getting Around The Cayman Islands

Rental Cars- You must drive on the left-hand side of the road throughout the Cayman Islands. The law also requires mandatory wearing of seat belts. Visitors must obtain temporary drivers licenses from the police station or car rental agency, easily granted upon presenting a valid drivers licence from their home state, county or parish. The fee is US$7.50. Traffic on West Bay Road and the road to Bodden Town in Grand Cayman can be congested, especially during high season and during the 8 AM and 5 PM commuting times since these are the only thoroughfares to and from town.

First Ever Public Transport System for Grand Cayman- Don't look for full-size buses; buses are actually vans marked "omni-bus."In October 1998, Grand Cayman launched its first ever-official public bus transportation system. The new bus terminal is located adjacent the Public Library on Edward St. in downtown George Town and serves as the dispatch point for buses to all districts. There are 38 mini-buses operated by 24 licensed operators, serving eight routes. Daily service starts at 6 a.m. from the depot and the schedule is as follows from George Town to:

West Bay - every 15 minutes, 6 a.m. - 11 p.m., Sunday - Thursday; 6 a.m. - midnight, Fri. & Sat. Fare is CI$1.50 each way.

Bodden Town - Every 30 minutes, 6 a.m. - 11 p.m., Sunday- Thurs.; 6 a.m. - midnight, Fri. & Sat. Fare is CI$1.50 each way.

East End and North Side - Every hour, 6 a.m. - 9 p.m., Sunday - Thurs. and Saturday. On Friday, buses will operate until after Midnight. Fare: CI$2 each way.

The new system uses colour - coded logos located on the front and rear of buses to identify routes as follows: Route 1 (yellow) and Route 2 (lime green) cover George Town to West Bay; Route 3 (blue) provides service between the depot in George Town and Bodden Town. Route 4 (purple) operates between the depot and East End. Route 5 (red) goes from the depot to East End and North Side. Route 6 (dark green) operates from North Side to West Bay. Route 7 (dark green with white numbers) is an inter-district service for George Town. Route 8 (orange) runs from the depot to Hutland in North Side. Licensed buses are identified by blue licence plates. To maintain consistency in fares, each bus must display a fare table outlining standard government-authorized fares. The hotline number for public comment and feedback is 945-5100.

By Taxi- Taxis offer 24-hour island-wide service. Call for a cab to be dispatched as you generally cannot hail one on the street. Fares are set by the government, and are not cheap, so ask ahead. The rate increases with the number of riders and bags. To travel in style by white limo, you can call A. A. Transportation or Elite Limousine Services.

Money

The Cayman dollar (CI$) is divided into a hundred cents, with coins of 1¢, 5¢, 10¢, and 25¢ and notes of $1, $5, $10, $25, $50, and $100. There's no $20 bill. Although the American dollar is accepted everywhere, you'll often get your change in Cayman dollars.

Safety

The Cayman Islands are relatively safe, but petty theft has been increasing lately. Be smart: lock your room and car and secure valuables as you would at home.

General Information:

Location & Geography

The island country consists of Grand Cayman, largest and most populous of the trio; and the Sister Islands of Cayman Brac and Little Cayman, which lie approximately 89 miles east-northeast of Grand Cayman and are separated from each other by a channel about seven miles wide.

Size Isn't Everything!

The total land mass of the three islands is 100 square miles. Grand Cayman occupies 76 square miles; Cayman Brac, 14 square miles and Little Cayman, 10 square miles. Grand Cayman is approximately 22 miles long and 8 miles at its widest point, reaching a maximum elevation at East End of 60 ft.

Cayman Brac is 12 miles long and just over a mile wide and has the most dramatic topography of the trio. Its majestic Bluff rises west to east along the length of the island to 140 feet at the eastern tip, ending in a sheer cliff. Many mysterious caves are carved throughout this awe-inspiring natural attraction.

Little Cayman, only 10 miles long and a mile wide, is flat, reaching a maximum elevation of 40 ft. Its famous Bloody Bay wall Marine Park has been called one of the world's best dive sites. Inland, the 203 - acre Booby Pond Nature Reserve is a RAMSAR site and nesting ground for the Caribbean's largest population of Red Footed Boobies.

The three islands are limestone outcroppings, the tops of a submarine mountain range called the Cayman Ridge, which extends west southwest for the Sierra Maestra range off the southeast part of Cuba to the Misteriosa Bank near Belize. The islands lack rivers or streams because of the porous nature of the limestone rock. It is this lack of runoff which gives the surrounding Caribbean Sea exceptional visibility, often well over 120 ft.

Between the Cayman Islands and Jamaica lies the deepest part of the Caribbean, the Cayman Trough, which is over four miles deep. South of Cayman is the Bartlett Deep where depths of over 18,000 ft. have been recorded. All three islands are surrounded by healthy coral reefs which lie at the top of dramatic walls and drop-offs close to shore, creating ideal conditions for diving and sportfishing.

Cruise Critics: www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=1

Grand Cayman had taken such a hit from the devastating 36-hour storm that began on September 11, 2004 that cruise ships halted visits for more than two months. They were allowed to trickle back in, gradually, beginning in November, with the island regaining its normal port-of-call status (four to six ships a day) in mid-December. And that meant life here was at last beginning to return to normalcy.

Best Cocktail

A "Cayman Mama" consists of a mix of Caribbean fruit juices along with both gold and coconut rum. Try it at the Cracked Conch by the Sea (just past the Turtle Farm in West Bay; open from 11:00 a.m.).

City Attractions

The eclectic shopping in George Town includes artifacts for making handcrafted jewelry, antiques, salvaged coins and old maps. Cardinal Avenue is the main shopping street. On it, you'll find Caymania Duty Free, one of the island's best-known duty free shops for perfumes, cosmetics and gemstones. Kirk Freeport is another terrific duty free choice, with Swiss watches, fine china and crystal. The Jewelry Center offers designer baubles. At the Galleria Plaza (West Bay Road), a number of shops sell duty free stuff.

Queen Elizabeth II Botanic Park consists of 65 acres of everything from nature walks to natural wetlands to colorful floral gardens. It's located in the North Side district. (Daily from 9 a.m.; $7.50.)

The Pedro St. James "Castle" is considered the birthplace of democracy in the Cayman Islands. In 1831, residents met here to elect the Cayman's first legislative assembly. The great house itself, circa 1780, is the island's oldest stone structure. It has lovely grounds that are ideal for strolling. Check out the panoramic view from the Great Pedro Bluff. (Daily from 9:00 a.m.; $8.)

Scuba diving is one of the Cayman Islands' main attractions, and the Cayman Wall is a world-renowned dive site. The island abounds with dive and snorkeling operators, such as Ocean Frontiers (1-888-232-0541) and Bob Soto's (1-800-262-7686).

Been There, Done That

The Tortuga Rum Company (S. Church Street and various other locations) makes incredible rum cakes. You can sample the different flavors before buying.

The Cayman Turtle Farm is home to 16,000 turtles. It's a unique breeding ground and research center for five species of green sea turtles. (Northwest Point Road, West Bay; daily from 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.; $6)

The town of Hell is, admittedly, a tourist trap (it's centered on a field of crusty black, razor-sharp rocks that look like the surface of, well, hell), but you may find it difficult to resist the impulse to send a postcard that's postmarked "hell."

Beaches

Best Beach for a Half-Day: Seven Mile Beach (which is actually about 5 1/2 miles long) starts at George Town and has everything from beachfront bars to watersports.

Best Beach for the Dedicated Beach Bum: Again, Seven Mile Beach is great for catching rays (sun rays, not stingrays) and has watersports rental facilities galore.

Secluded Beach: Try Cayman Kai, Rum Point or Smith Cove.

Best Beach for Watersports: Aside from Seven Mile Beach, the best wind surfing is found off of East End, near Morrit's Tortuga Club.

[/url]

Begin exploring the capital by strolling along the waterfront, Harbour Drive to Elmslie Memorial United Church, named after the first Presbyterian missionary to serve in the Caymans. Its vaulted ceiling, wooden arches, and sedate nave reflect the religious nature of island residents. In front of the court building, in the center of town, names of influential Caymanians are inscribed on the Wall of History, which commemorates the islands' quincentennial in 2003. Across the street is the Cayman Islands Legislative Assembly Building, next door to the 1919 Peace Memorial Building.

In the middle of the financial district is the General Post Office, built in 1939. Let the kids pet the big blue iguana statues.

Built in 1833, the home of the Cayman Islands National Museum has had several different incarnations over the years, including that of courthouse, jail (now the gift shop), post office, and dance hall. It's small but fascinating, with excellent displays and videos that illustrate local geology, flora, and fauna, and island history. Pick up a walking-tour map of George Town at the museum gift shop before leaving. Harbour Dr., George Town, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands, PHONE: 345/949-8368; COST: $5; OPEN: Weekdays 9-5, Sat. 10-2

Shopping-Cayman is a duty-free destination . On Grand Cayman the good news is that there's no sales tax. Locally made items to watch for include woven mats, baskets, jewelry made of a marblelike stone called Caymanite (from the cliffs of Cayman Brac), and authentic sunken treasure, though the latter is never cheap

Anchorage Center- The Anchorage Center across from the cruise-ship North Terminal has 10 of the most affordable stores and boutiques selling duty-free goods from such great brand names as John Hardy, Movado, and Concord, as well as designer ammolite jewelry.

Fodors & Other sources

(* The Heritage Passport entitles you to a 25% discount on four of Grand Cayman’s main attractions and includes one free child’s pass per every paying adult. http://www.caymanislands.ky/to_do/activities_trust.asp)

Blowholes- Geological Site, Frank Sound Rd., near East End -When the trade winds blow hard, crashing waves force water into caverns and send geysers shooting up through the ironshore.

Bodden Town- Town, Grand Cayman-In the island's original south-shore capital you can find an old cemetery on the shore side of the road. Graves with A-frame structures are said to contain the remains of pirates. There are also the ruins of a fort and a wall erected by slaves in the 19th century. A curio shop serves as the entrance to what's called the Pirate's Caves, partially underground natural formations that are more hokey (decked out with fake treasure chests and mannequins in pirate garb) than spooky

Butterfly Farm- Farm, Lawrence Rd., across from the cinema, Seven Mile Beach - Your entry fee is good for your entire stay so that you can watch the life-stage changes of the butterflies. It's fun, easy, interesting, and a great photo op, particularly early in the morning or on sunny afternoons. www.thebutterflyfarm.com. COST: $15. OPEN: Mon-Sat. 8:30-4, Sun. 8:30-noon.

* Cayman Island National Museum- Cayman Islands National Museum opened in November 1990 in the restored Old Courts Building in George Town. The attractive building overlooks Hog Sty Bay, and is one of Cayman's few remaining 19th century structures, a survivor of hurricanes and countless Nor'westers. During its 150 years, it has served as a jail and courthouse - and meeting place of worship. The meticulous restoration project won the 1990 American Express Preservation Award for the Caribbean.

The Museum collection contains over 2,000 items, from a 14-ft. traditional hand made catboat to old coins, rare documents and natural history specimens. In 1979 the Cayman Islands Government purchased the late Ira Thompson's private collection of historic memorabilia. This revered Caymanian's hobby spanned almost 50 years and launched the National Museum's original collection.http://www.caymanislands.ky/to_do/activities_museum.asp

* Cayman Island Turtle Farm- West Bay Rd.,- You can tour ponds with thousands of turtles in various stages of growth, and some can be picked up from the tanks -- a real treat for children and adults. A major expansion at Boatswain's Beach is expected to open in early 2006. It will be a marine theme park. www.turtle.ky. COST: $6. OPEN: Daily 8:30-5. Phone: 345/949-3893 www.caymanislands.ky/to_do/activities_turtle.asp

Hell- West Bay- The touristy stopover in West Bay is little more than a patch of incredibly jagged black rock formations. The attractions are the small post office and a gift shop, where you can get cards and letters postmarked from Hell.

* Pedro St. James Castle- S. Sound Rd., Savannah- Built in 1780, the great house is Cayman's oldest stone structure and the only remaining late-18th-century residence on the island. The buildings are surrounded by 8 acres of natural parks and woodlands, struggling to grow back after Hurricane Ivan. You can stroll through landscaping of native Caymanian flora and experience one of the most spectacular views on the island from atop the dramatic Great Pedro Bluff. Don't miss the impressive multimedia theater show complete with smoking pots, misting rains, and two film screens where the story of Pedro's Castle is presented. The show plays on the hour; see it before you tour the site. On Sundays there is an extra-special brunch serving all local cuisine. COST: $8. Phone: 345/947-3329 http://www.caymanislands.ky/to_do/activities_pedro.asp; www.pedrostjames.ky/

* Queen Elizabeth II Botanic Park- Frank Sound Rd., Frank Sound- This 65-acre wilderness preserve showcases a wide range of indigenous and nonindigenous tropical vegetation. Rare blue iguanas are bred and released in the gardens. Hurricane Ivan destroyed a lot of the foliage, but it's being replanted and rapidly growing back. If you're lucky, you'll see the brilliant green Cayman parrot -- not just here but virtually anywhere in Cayman. COST: $3. OPEN: Daily 9-6:30; last admission 5:30. Phone: 345/947-9462; 345/947-3558 info line

Cayman Islands' Best Beaches-

Conch Point. Drive past Spanish Bay Reef and Papagallo until the road starts to disappear, at which point you can see an often-deserted beach, a great place to walk. Unfortunately, it's not so good for swimming because of the shallow water and rocky bottom, and it can be cluttered at times with seaweed and debris. Conch Point Rd., Barkers, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands.

East End Beaches. Just drive along and look for any sandy beach. Park your car and enjoy a stroll. The stretch by the Reef Resort is a good one. Queen's Hwy., East End, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands.

Rum Point. This North Sound beach has shade, hammocks, a restaurant, and snorkel gear rentals. Because it's protected by a barrier reef, snorkeling is safe and the sand is soft. The bottom remains shallow for a long way from shore but the bottom is littered with small coral heads, so kids shouldn't wrestle in the water here. Take the ferry from the Hyatt or drive; it's especially popular on Sunday. Start from here for a fast trip to Stingray City Sandbar. North Side, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands.

Seven Mile Beach- see description above

Smith's Cove. South of the Grand Old House, this small beach is a popular bathing and snorkeling spot and a wonderful location for a beach wedding. The bottom drops off quickly enough to allow you to swim and play close to shore. Although the beach can be a little rocky, there's little to no debris or coral heads, and there are restrooms and parking. Off S. Church St., George Town, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands.

South Sound Cemetery Beach. A narrow, sandy driveway takes you past the small cemetery to a perfect beach. The dock here is primarily used by dive boats during winter storms. You can walk in either direction; the water is calm and clear, the sand is soft and clean. You'll definitely find no crowds. S. Sound Rd., George Town, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands.

Water Cay. If you want an isolated, unspoiled beach, bear left at Rum Point on the north side and follow the road to the end. When you see a soft, sandy beach, stop your car. Wade out knee deep and look for the large orange starfish. (Don't touch -- just look.) North Side, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands.

World-class Caribbean Shore Excursion- Stingray City:

http://cruises.about.com/cs/caribbeanports/a/stingray_city.htm

Stingray City at Grand Cayman Island is one of the most popular shore excursions in the Caribbean. Thousands of cruise ship passengers and tourists make the short boat ride from the northern end of Grand Cayman to interact with these graceful sea creatures. Stingray City is found just off the coast of Grand Cayman Island and consists of a string of sand bars that cross the North Sound from Morgan Harbor to Rum Point. Locals say that the stingrays began gathering in the area decades ago when fisherman used to clean fish on the shallow sand bars. The stingrays would forget their normally shy dispositions and feast on the guts of the cleaned fish. Soon the stingrays began to associate the sound of a boat motor with food. In the late 1980s, divers starting feeding squid to the stingrays, which is one of their favorite dishes.

Before long, dozens of rays would show up each day to be fed, attracted by the boat engines and the memory of an easy meal.

There are three ways to experience Stingray City. All three involve a short boat ride to the sand bar area at the North Sound. The tours can be arranged on the cruise ship or at the dock. The most popular is a snorkeling trip. Many Caribbean guide books call the snorkeling at Stingray City the "best snorkeling experience in the world." It certainly has all of the characteristics of world-class snorkeling such as superb visibility, numerous friendly stingrays and fish, and easy access. You don't have to have any snorkeling experience to take this shore excursion, and the water is shallow, so you don't have to be a good swimmer.

The second way to experience Stingray City is as a SCUBA diver. It is great diving for all the reasons Stingray City is great snorkeling.

The third way to experience Stingray City is via glass bottom boat. This alternative is a good choice if the weather is too windy for snorkeling (as it was the day we were there). In addition, a glass bottom boat ride can be combined with a tour of the island and its other premier tourist attractions--the Cayman Turtle Farm and the "village" of Hell. Our half-day tour from the Radisson Seven Seas Navigator cruise ship ($48 per person) started from the dock with a bus ride along Seven-Mile beach, which we learned was only 5.5 miles. The beach is lined with resort hotels, but we all agreed that our view from the cruise ship was better than any of the resorts. Exiting the bus, we took the short boat ride into the North Sound to where the two glass bottom boats called the Stingray Explorer Observatories were anchored. Each of us had a great view from our seats on the glass bottom boat, although a couple of people were a little claustrophobic. The stingrays began appearing even before the diver got into the water. He fed them squid while we listened to an informative narration about the Stingray City area and the "life of a stingray". The diver brought rays up to the windows, and we all got some great photos of the rays by turning off the camera flash and putting the camera lens right next to the glass window. I've snorkeled with stingrays in French Polynesia and in the Bahamas, and was a little fearful that this trip would be disappointing. However, it was a great alternative. I actually got better photos of the stingrays, and I didn't get wet! After viewing the rays for about 20 minutes, we returned ashore and continued our tour to Hell and the Cayman Turtle Farm. The tour was a good value and a perfect way to see all of the premier sites on Grand Cayman in just half a day, which allowed the super shoppers (like me) the rest of the day to explore the Georgetown boutiques!

If Grand Cayman Island is on your cruise ship's itinerary, be sure to try and see Stingray City. With three way of visiting the area, it's appropriate for all ages. You won't be disappointed.

We have several detail maps which will not reproduce on this thread

Enjoy

Judy & Steve

We are having the same problem as you are= unlike the rest of the industry Cunard does not provide much info on their excursions. I expect we will have to wait for info package to be mailed from them.

In the interim, as we have been to Grand Cayman before, we can provide you with info we collected for that port. Please contact us at DGFCruising@aol.com

Please bear in mind that Grand Cayman is still recovering from the effects of Hurricane Ivan two years ago. Although the area where Stingray City is was probably the least affected (along with Little Cayman and Cayman Brac) the main island was heavily affected. I was on one of the first ships allowed to tender after the hurricane. (Hurricane was in August 2004, We came at the end of December) I also have friends from Cayman. Over 90% of the buildings were damaged or destroyed. The infrastructure was heavily damaged. It took months to get electricity back. This was not heavily publicized as the governement there did not want people to know how badly damaged they were, for fear investment might dry up. (GC is an off-shore banking capital. See the movie The Firm, which my friend did some of the music in.) When they were given independence, their charter included that there would NEVER be an income tax in the Cayman Islands. As you are coming in towards Gerogetown, you can see where the tops of trees were sheered off. Coral was damaged. 7 Mile Beach was altered from the way it formerly looked.

My suggestion, Take a tour of the island by van-taxi. They want to go with a full load, so you may have to wait for others who are like minded. They will readily go to the beaches, as they fill up fast for that. We went to Hell, and Tortuga turtle farm (and picked up some Tortuga rum, and of course, the Tortuga rumcake they are famous for! Totuga Rum will have your purchases taken back to the ship for you, so you don't have to lug them around. (It's a small island!)

WARNING! Cayman is OFFICIALLY not Gay friendly. It is best to be discreet. Several years ago the TOURISM MINISTER (!!!!!) refused mooring for a "gay cruise" There was much ado, including the statement "They might walk down our main street holding hands or something!" (As opposed say, to being pickpockets or stabbing someone) I vowed I would not go there then. I was appalled! Especially coming from a tourism minister! I did end up going to town a year and a half ago (our second stop there, the first before the gay cruise fiasco) and hired a taxi, because I wanted to support the real people there, who were struggling to survive after the Hurricane. The residents of Boddentown, the poorer area never had much. But they were rebuilding a few boards at a time, when they could afford it. We had a lovely lady cab driver who show us the damage and told some funny stories (about the "good church" and the one which must have been more sinful- one was unscathed, one was flattened, almost across from one another. and the small house behind the governor's mansion which was blown down. But the Governor's mansion was untoched. They figured he had paid for protection! <G> I participated in some fund raisers, before and after my trip to aid the people and the hurricane recovery efforts there. First Baptist Church (or was it Second, I forget now! Sorry!) there housed people and provided meals for months after the hurricane. Many, many were homeless, and the people who came to help rebuild also had nowhere to go. My friends belonged to this church,and their twin daughters went to pre-school there (The moved back to the states when it came time for the girls to enter school. Cayman schools are inferior.) I fully support those who "practice what they preach," even though I do not belong to a church, and this church does a lot of good work.

Enjoy your stop there. the downtown shops have been rebuilt, mostly, many better than they were before.

Beware! the Grand Cayman (GC) dollar is worth much more than the US dollar. Everything they eat has to be borought on island. Nothing is realy grown there. Food is very expensive, if you decide to have lunch there. (Tortuga rum is actually made in Jamaica) Marc and I had, on our first visit many years ago, a fish and chips, a bowl of chowder (shared), a cheesburger, and a couple of diet cokes (canned) If I remember, I think it was around $26.00 or so. Pulling out our American money, she said, "Oh no, Mum! GC dollars, in American it'll be $34.00! (Or something like that. amounts are fuzzily remembered, just know that it was shocking, and this was probably 10 years ago!)

But the people are grand. Enjoy the trip. You have to do Stingray City at least once. If you want to go Scuba diving, arrange ahead of time with Red Sail Sports. I believe they have an internet page.

Karie

Karie

Thank you for assistance.

We were in Georgetown, Grand Cayman in Jan 06, with our family- Disney Magic. Did not notice much remaining damage from the hurricane and certainly was no problem out at Stingray City

Not being of the gay orientation, we are not concerned with the local view point on this matter; although we did note a reportedly gay cruise ship was in port in January with the resulting local protest and unfriendly placards

Karie

Me again

Most interested in your taxi experience and in particular your assistance with the church

Might I enquire as to whether you kept any contact information for the taxi and the church. Last time around we just did the tourist thing- Stingray City and walked 7 mile beach. Next time getting a tour of the island with a local would certainly be of interest; either on the Cunard in November or while there on our fun 2006 New Years cruise

Thank you on any info you can provide

DEAN

Karie

Me again

Most interested in your taxi experience and in particular your assistance with the church

Might I enquire as to whether you kept any contact information for the taxi and the church. Last time around we just did the tourist thing- Stingray City and walked 7 mile beach. Next time getting a tour of the island with a local would certainly be of interest; either on the Cunard in November or while there on our fun 2006 New Years cruise

Thank you on any info you can provide

DEAN

I'll get the name and address of the church. They are a very active church, and do a lot f good in the community. If I remember correctly, they are in the vicinity of 7 mile Beach. At least over in that direction. My friend, Sunny Jim (AKA James White) was the afternoon singer at the pool bar at the Hyatt Seven Mile Beach for twelve years. He was actually IN the Firm if you don't get the edited version, Marc says you can almost see him behind a palm tree in the edited version. (it is James singing his song "Blame it on the Rum" when Jean Tripplehorn slips the mickey to Gene Hackman out by the poolbar.)

UPDATE:

I'll get the address: From Sunny Jim's newsletter after the hurricane. (He was doing a benefit with a whole bunch of singer/songwriters in Key West- I have the CD- to go for Hurricane relief.)

Our good friends

at First Baptist Church have

been feeding and housing the

hungry and homeless since the

storm even though the church

have suffered serious damage

and their resources are limited.

We want to help them as much

as we can because this was our

church in Cayman and our

daughters attended first and

second grades here with all

their friends. It is a very special

community, and we want to do

what we can to help

I did get the card of the lovely taxi driver. She was the best. I will have to find it though. it might be with my souvenirs from the trip. I've been trying to go through all of my boxes lately to put together a timeline of our cruises, along with details. I'll look for it. She was the most gracious, and I would love to see her get more business. She wasn't as aggressive as many of the male taxi drivers, and we actually returned to Hell becasue someone had left their purchases there. (and they were sitting on the counter when we returned)

This is James' web page: http://sunnyjim.com/

Anne Flinn Powell is a photographer who has done an annual calendar that is sold on island. When there looked like there would be no tourism she sent them to James to sell at his shows, with all of the profits going for hurricane relief. Mine is hanging on my wall at work. (Got one this year, too!)

http://www.anneflinnpowell.com/

Cayman Tourism bureau

http//www.caymanislands.ky/

Red Sail Sports

http://www.redsail.com/

Some of Anne's photo's from the reconstruction, and at the bottom, of the destruction from Ivan.

I have seen many more from another photographer on island that are much worse. I also kept up wth a blog done by a realtor on island who was detailing what the government was and wasn't doing, was and wasn't saying. (Gee, do you think I have a strong opinion here?) But still, the people deserve to make a living, and I know a lot of people love Americans despite disagreeing with some of our public and foreign policy. So I'll just leave it at that. These are some incredible photos, good and bad. Cayman is indeed, beautiful. And truly, having been there before and after, I think it is being rebuilt better than before.

It appears that many of the links to the photos of the destruction aren't working (Northside seems to be the only one, and they did not sustain as miuch dmage as the rest of the ilsnd, being on the lee side when the hurricane struck.) But be sure to click on the Apple Quick time movie of the recovery. It is a slide show, set to the music of Jimmy Buffett's song, Changes in Latitudes (Changes in Attitudes) I have heard that song a million and one times. Never has it seemed so meaningful and poignant as in this slide show. The slides are timed and chosen to coincide with the words, and gives them more meaning than I have ever felt from them before.

http://www.caymanphotos.com/

Well, once again, I have gone on for too long. I will get the address from James and Adela, and try to find that business card.

Karie

We are Steve and Sharon from Rochester, NY and we will also be on this sailing. I also signed up on the Roll Call Board but have seen nothing else on these boards, although I probably don't check them often enough. This will be our first time on the Queen Mary and we are very excited. It is quite different from other cruise lines in that you don't seem to be able to get much information regarding excusions and such ahead of time. We are eagerly awaiting our travel documents hoping to get more information. Thanks for all the information regarding Grand Caymen. I had found information on other sites regarding Captain Marvins and have been thinking about booking an excursion with him.

We are Steve and Sharon from Rochester, NY and we will also be on this sailing. I also signed up on the Roll Call Board but have seen nothing else on these boards, although I probably don't check them often enough. This will be our first time on the Queen Mary and we are very excited. It is quite different from other cruise lines in that you don't seem to be able to get much information regarding excusions and such ahead of time. We are eagerly awaiting our travel documents hoping to get more information. Thanks for all the information regarding Grand Caymen. I had found information on other sites regarding Captain Marvins and have been thinking about booking an excursion with him.

Hellol

We are just across the lake from you, living in a Toronto suburb

We highly recommend Captain Marvin- we found our time with the Stingrays a most memorable event

Hellol

We are just across the lake from you, living in a Toronto suburb

We highly recommend Captain Marvin- we found our time with the Stingrays a most memorable event

Hi DGF, We quite often run into people from Toronto when we cruise, I guess we are all looking to extend our summer!! Thanks for the recommendation on Captain Marvin. We look forward to seeing you on the ship. :) Are you going down early or the day of sailing? We wil be getting in to Fort Lauderdale late on Friday evening, staying at the Holiday Inn Express right near the cruise port. I understand it is a fairly new hotel.

Hi DGF, We quite often run into people from Toronto when we cruise, I guess we are all looking to extend our summer!! Thanks for the recommendation on Captain Marvin. We look forward to seeing you on the ship. :) Are you going down early or the day of sailing? We wil be getting in to Fort Lauderdale late on Friday evening, staying at the Holiday Inn Express right near the cruise port. I understand it is a fairly new hotel.

We normally take a couple of weeks in the fall in Longboat Key (Sarasota), Florida to extend the summer. This year, along came the promotion material from Cunard at a very good price and decided to fit the Queen Mary 2 into the middle of stay= we will be driving over from Sarasota the day of the cruise departure

We also look forward to meeting you aboard. Perhaps all of us subcribing to this thread might set up a meeting place the day of embarkation and have a drink today?

“DGF

Have you done any planning on the excursions?”

I have not found any place on the Cunard web site listing excursions for our trip.

Starting to google our way thru ports of call

Came across a couple of very informative sites on Mahahual

Excursions- www.costamayacruiseexcursions.com/ShoreExcursions.htm. Appear to be three main excursions provided by local tour companys

· Beach party at Majahual- www.costamayacruiseexcursions.com/CostaMayaBeach.htm $30.00 including drinks; but expect can take the van or bus to the beach for $3.00

· Chacchoben Mayan Ruins- www.costamayacruiseexcursions.com/ChacchobenMayanRuins.htm $41.00- 3 1/2 hr departure from Majuahal

· Snorkelling with private resort get away (Costa Mayan Beach Resort)- http://www.costamayacruiseexcursions.com/CostaMayaSnorkeling.htm $45.00

Hotel site which has extensive info on the area- http://www.mayanbeachgarden.com/index.html

Another informative web site http://www.locogringo.com/dynamic/services.cfm?type=any&location=Mahahual

Take an aerial view- http://www.locogringo.com/maps/tour/P1010135a-t.html Outstanding web site flies you down the Mayan Riviera

If we might ask, how are you doing on your research?

I'll get the name and address of the church. They are a very active church, and do a lot f good in the community. If I remember correctly, they are in the vicinity of 7 mile Beach. At least over in that direction. My friend, Sunny Jim (AKA James White) was the afternoon singer at the pool bar at the Hyatt Seven Mile Beach for twelve years. He was actually IN the Firm if you don't get the edited version, Marc says you can almost see him behind a palm tree in the edited version. (it is James singing his song "Blame it on the Rum" when Jean Tripplehorn slips the mickey to Gene Hackman out by the poolbar.)

UPDATE:

Karie

Thanks. We look forward to receiving the info from you when convenient; and hope to meet up with you aboard the QM2

“DGF

Have you done any planning on the excursions?”

I have not found any place on the Cunard web site listing excursions for our trip.

It has been some time since we have been to Jamaica.

Following is some info we have found on the web on Montega Bay. If it does not copy correctly, we can provide to you by contacting us at DGFCruising@aol.com

Frommer's

Introduction to Montego Bay

Despite a large influx of visitors, Montego Bay retains its own identity. A thriving business-and-commercial center, it functions as the main market town for most of western Jamaica, supporting both cruise-ship tourism and a growing industrial center. Mo Bay, as it's known, is even served by its own airport, Donald Sangster International.

This is the most cosmopolitan of Jamaican resorts, not as hedonistic as Negril but also not as crowded as Ocho Rios. As such, Montego remains the grande dame of island resorts. The draw of Mo Bay is its deluxe hotels, such as the Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon, Round Hill, and Tryall.

If you're seeking authentic or traditional Jamaica, however, this area is probably not for you.

Visitor Information -- The main office of the Jamaica Tourist Board is at Gloucester Avenue (tel. 876/952-4425), opposite the entrance to Cornwall Beach. It is open Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm and on Saturday from 9am to 1pm. There is a small branch office (information booth) at the Craft Market at the corner of Market and Harbour streets and another in the arrivals hall of Donald Sangster Airport. When visiting, ask for a free map of Montego Bay.

Getting Around -- Taxis are generally the way to get around, as there is no practical bus service in Montego Bay and no public tourist shuttles except those maintained by hotels-which are strictly for the use of guests. (A taxi shuttle service did operate briefly during the 1990s, but the taxi lobby managed to kill it off.) Use only special taxis or vans operated by JUTA, the Jamaica Union of Travelers Association (tel. 876/952-0813). Do not get into a "pirate taxi," even though drivers will promise to cut the going rate in half; cheating tourists is disturbingly common. JUTA tariffs are controlled, and you'll recognize its vehicles by the union emblems.

You can walk to most places within the center of Mo Bay itself, especially along Gloucester Avenue. In other cases, summon a licensed taxi. These have red license plates and meters, with fares posted inside each vehicle. If you want to hail a taxi to go somewhere outside of town, most of the cabs can be found along Gloucester Avenue.

For the more adventurous, getting around by bike or motorcycle is another possibility-though cyclists in Mo Bay must deal with loco drivers who seem to feel they own the highway. If you still want to risk life and limb, your hotel might either lend you a bike or rent you one.

If not, check with Sun Cruise Bike Rental at 32 Gloucester Ave. (tel. 876/979-0614), next to the Wexford Court Hotel. Bikes here rent for $20 a day, with a $200 credit card deposit taken at the time of the rental. You can also rent scooters at the same location for $40 to $45 a day, though a $1,000 deposit is taken on your credit card. Sun Cruise is open daily 8am to 6pm.

Shopping

Be prepared to be pursued by aggressive vendors. Selling a craft item may mean the difference between having a meal or going hungry, and that situation often leads to a feverish attempt to peddle goods to potential customers, all of whom are viewed as rich. Warning: Occasionally this harassment turns ugly or even violent, so watch your back if you decide to turn it on an angry vendor.

The main shopping areas are at

i) Montego Freeport, within easy walking distance of the pier;

ii) City Centre, where most of the duty-free shops are, aside from those at the large hotels; and the

iii) If you have time for only one shopping complex, make it Old Fort Craft Park, as its handicrafts are more varied. It's grazing country for both souvenirs and more serious purchases. This shopping complex with 180 vendors (all licensed by the Jamaica Tourist Board), fronts Howard Cooke Boulevard (up from Gloucester Ave. in the heart of Montego Bay, on the site of Fort Montego). You'll see wall hangings, hand-woven straw items, and wood sculpture. You can even get your hair braided. Be aware that vendors can be very aggressive. If you want something, be prepared to bargain.

iv) At the Crafts Market, near Harbour Street in downtown Montego Bay, you can find a good selection of handmade souvenirs of Jamaica, including straw hats and bags, wooden platters, straw baskets, musical instruments, beads, carved objects, and toys. That jipijapa straw hat is important if you're out in the island sun.

v) Holiday Village Shopping Centre, located across from the Holiday Inn, on Rose Hall Road, heading from Montego Bay toward Ocho Rios.

vi) Holiday Village Shopping Centre, located across from the Holiday Inn, on Rose Hall Road, heading from Montego Bay toward Ocho Rios.

vii) One of the most intriguing places for shopping is an upscale minimall, Half Moon Plaza, on the coastal road about 13km (8 miles) east of the commercial center of Montego Bay. It caters to the guests of the Half Moon Club, and the carefully selected merchandise is upscale and expensive. On the premises are a bank, about 25 relatively upscale boutiques, and a private and well-respected prep school named in honor of the longtime manager of Half Moon, Heinz Simonowitz.

Klass Kraft Leather Sandals, 44 Fort St. (tel. 876/952-5782), offers sandals, caps, and leather accessories made on location by a team of Jamaican craftspeople.

Golden Nugget, 8 St. James Shopping Centre, Gloucester Avenue (tel. 876/952-7707), is a duty-free shop with an impressive collection of watches and a fine assortment of jewelry, plus cameras and a wide assortment of French perfumes.

Copasetic, Half Moon Shopping Village (tel. 876/953-3838), is a good outlet for Jamaican crafts, including pottery, jewelry, and straw products.

The best selection of native art is found at the Gallery of West Indian Art, 11 Fairfield Rd. (tel. 876/952-4547), with a wide selection of paintings not only from Haiti and Jamaica, but Cuba as well, along with Jamaican hand-carved wooden animals-even some painted hand-turned pottery.

Mezzaluna, Half Moon Shopping Village, Half Moon Plaza (tel. 876/953-9683), is an upscale women's boutique selling lingerie, La Perla perfumes, and various garments, along with chic accessories such as belts.

When "Duty-Free" Isn't--Some so-called "duty-free" prices are actually lower than stateside prices, but then the government hits you with a 10% "general consumption tax" on all items purchased. Even so, you can still find good duty-free items here, including Swiss watches, Irish crystal, Italian handbags, Indian silks, and liquors and liqueurs. Appleton's rums are an excellent value. Tía María (coffee-flavored) and Rumona (rum-flavored) are the best liqueurs. Khus Khus is the local perfume. Jamaican arts and crafts are available throughout the resorts and at the Crafts Market .

Avoiding the Mo Bay Hustle--With some two million tourists arriving each year, often with fat wallets, the Mo Bay hustle developed. Although the government has improved the situation considerably, time was in the 1990s that you couldn't walk more than a few steps before a hustler approached or cornered you.

Rivaled by Ocho Rios, the Mo Bay hustler is still an annoying presence and works hard to keep you from walking around the resort and enjoying it on your own terms.

Sometimes even a simple "no" is not enough to free yourself from the bondage of your uninvited guest. If a hustler will not leave, you can threaten to call a resort patrol, a group of police officers hired by the government to prevent harassment of visitors. The patrol (both men and women) wear dark-blue quasi-military uniforms with black berets and are easy to spot.

Some vendors try to peddle themselves as guides. Some try to sell junky souvenirs such as carvings. Many are peddling drugs, especially ganja (marijuana).

Be careful of pickpockets when shopping the markets, and don't let a carver etch your name on a piece of wood. He will later claim you ordered him to do so. Resist having jewelry put on your body; similarly, if someone places a straw hat on your head, you'll be billed whether you want it or not.

Grooving on Marley's Reggae Beat--The Bob Marley Experience at the Half Moon Shopping Village, North Coast Highway

(tel. 876/953-3946; http://www.bobmarleyexperience.com/legend.htm), provides a keen insight into the reggae star's life. On-site you can visit a shop stuffed with Marley memorabilia, everything from CDs to T-shirts, from postcards to incense. Marley's exclusive clothing line, the "Tuff Gong Collection" of denim wear, is also sold here-and there's a free 15-minute documentary on Marley's life and music showing continuously in a wide-screen theater seating about 70.

Walking Tours

If you don't mind fending off hustlers, you can stroll through the center of Montego Bay. Allow about 1 1/2 hours to see the major landmarks.

We like to begin our walk north of Walter Fletcher Beach at:

1. Fort Montego

Above Gloucester Avenue and up Miranda Hill on Queen's Drive, the fort is long gone. Originally it had 17 cannons, of which only a trio remain. The fort never saw much action, and what it did see was of the comic variety-a Jamaican slapstick film.

Immediately south of the fort and reached by going southeast along Gloucester Avenue is a roundabout at the beginning of Howard Cooke Drive. This is the site of the:

2. Old Fort Craft Park

You'll be awash in T-shirts, woodcarvings, shell jewelry, baskets to fit cobras of any size, and vendors peddling fruits and vegetables.

Afterward, you can walk 1 block to the east along Union Street until you reach the landmark:

3. Georgian House

This 18th-century residence-really two buildings-was built by a rich tradesman who wanted one house for his wife and the other for his mistress.

Return to Fort Street, going only 1 block to the south to reach:

4. Sam Sharpe Square

Sam Sharpe was the local hero who spearheaded the Christmas Rebellion of 1831 that eventually led to the freeing of Jamaica's slaves. The cobblestone square bearing his name is still a rallying point for protests and political speeches.

At the northwest corner of the square is a bronze statue commemorating Sharpe, who was hanged in this very square.

In the northwest corner you can also see another grim monument called:

5. "The Cage"

This foreboding brick structure dates from 1806. Its name is apt: It was used as a lockup for both escaped slaves and drunks arrested on the street, most often British sailors on shore leave.

Leaving Sam Sharpe Square, head east along Market Street for 2 blocks until you come to:

6. Burcell Memorial Baptist Church

Dating from 1824, this church is named for its founder, the preacher Thomas Burcell; Sam Sharpe himself once served as a deacon here. The present church is a reconstruction, as slave owners burned the original church to protest Burcell's support of the emancipation movement. Sharpe's remains lie in the church's vault.

Continue to walk east along Market Street for another block until you approach the intersection with East Street. Take East Street south to Church Street.

Once here, head west again in the direction of Sam Sharpe Square. On your left you'll come to:

7. St. James Parish Church

Shaped like a Greek cross, this is one of the best examples of mid-18th-century architecture on the island. The present church is a reconstruction; the original church was destroyed in the devastating earthquake that rocked Mo Bay in 1957.

Facing the church is the:

8. Town House Restaurant

If you're here at lunchtime, this is the best dining choice in the center of town. A wealthy merchant constructed this home of red brick in 1765. A bullet hole in the mahogany staircase can still be seen.

Side Trips

Interior St. James Parish

Most visitors, including many who have visited Montego Bay multiple times, never leave the coastline. Yet you can take an interesting self-guided driving tour deep into the lush interior of St. James Parish. This tour touches only on destinations nearer to Montego Bay.

At the village of Reading, west of Montego Bay, take Route B8 (it's signposted) into the tropical interior. The elevation rises as you drive along the aptly named Long Hill, which runs parallel to the Great River Valley. From below you can see tropical palms and ferns.

Six kilometers (3 3/4 miles) south of Reading, you come to village of:

Lethe -- This is a base for rafting the Great River. Before driving down from Montego Bay, rafting trips should be arranged in advance. Mountain Valley Rafting, Lethe Hanover (tel. 876/956-4920), offers excursions on the Great River, which depart from the Lethe Estate, 16km (10 miles) south of Montego Bay. Rafts are available for $38 for up to two people. Trips last 45 minutes and operate daily from 8am to 5pm. The rafts are composed of bamboo trunks with a raised dais to sit on. In some cases, a small child can accompany two adults on the same raft, although due caution should be exercised if you choose to do this. Ask about pickup by taxi at the end of the rafting run. For $55 per person, a half-day experience includes transportation to and from your hotel, an hour's rafting, lunch, a garden tour of the Lethe property, and a taste of Jamaican liqueur.

Also at Lethe you'll find one of the most graceful stone bridges in Jamaica, spanning the Great River and dating from 1828. Who built this bridge of heavy stones? Slave labor, of course. The decaying ruins of a former sugar mill standing forlornly on the riverbank will make you reach for your camera. It's one of the most evocative sights in St. James of a long-gone plantation era.

Nearby lies another attraction:

Rocklands Wildlife Station -- To reach this site, you must turn off the B8 some 183m (600 ft.) south of the signposted turnoff to Lethe. A steep dirt road leads up to Rocklands, which is one of the most favored spots in all the West Indies for birders, who have been flocking here since a feeding station opened in 1958. The area abounds in bird life, including the hummingbird, orange quit, ground dove, and saffron finch. You also might see the national bird of Jamaica, the streamer-tailed doctor bird.

The Maroon Country

A strange, eerie part of Jamaica lies in the hills southeast of Montego Bay. Few visitors from abroad venture here. The landscape begins 2km (1 1/4 miles) south of Montego Bay along Fairfield Road (which is not in the best of shape).

Back-Roading Southeast of Montego Bay--If you follow bumpy Fairfield Road, you will eventually reach Maroon Town, lying on the periphery of the rugged and bleak Cockpit Country .

The first hamlet of historical interest is:

Kensington -- A tiny town some 21km (13 miles) south of Mo Bay. Kensington doesn't offer much to see today. But history buffs will be interested to know that in this remote outpost the famous slave uprising of 1831 was launched, bringing on the Christmas Rebellion that eventually led to the emancipation of slaves in the British colonies. A ridge-top plantation was set afire, and the rebellion broke out of control before the slaves were eventually subdued.

The only sign of this rebellion today is a plaque along the road, placed here by the Jamaican National Heritage Trust to commemorate the moment.

Continue 5km (3 miles) southeast to:

Marron Town -- This town was settled by the remnants of the Trelawny Town Maroons. A Jamaican colonel, John Guthrie, signed a peace treaty here with the Maroons in 1745, though it only lasted until 1795.

The Cockpit Country

The foreboding landscape of the Cockpit Country is one of the most desolate and eerie territories in all the West Indies. For those who'd like to combine some adventure into that holiday by the beach, a tour through this rugged terrain is recommended-if you're in good shape, that is.

The forest-clad limestone hills of the Cockpit Country are shaped like witches' hats. This is wild "karst" terrain, of the type also found in Puerto Rico. The land is filled with weathered limestone covering some 1,295 sq. km (500 sq. miles). Much of the Cockpit Country remains uninhabited and, even today, still hasn't been explored in depth.

Conical hillocks were dissolved by an elaborate drainage system of caves and sinkholes. No other region of the Caribbean has such intriguingly named settlements: Wait-a-Bit, Rest and Be Thankful, and Me No Sen You No Come.

Jamaica at present classifies the Cockpit Country as a National Reserve, although there is a movement afoot to have it declared a national park. Because the Maroons function almost independently of the Jamaican government, they are fiercely opposed to national park status, fearing it would intrude upon their independence.

Warning: Trails here are overgrown, so guides are imperative. No foreigner should attempt this exploration without skilled guidance. Sinkholes appear suddenly and without warning, and hikers who fall into them can be seriously injured or killed. The land is also a mosquito breeding factory. These pests are hungry for blood-yours-so be prepared. You should also take plenty of water and adequate provisions.

The company we recommend most for guided tours is Cockpit Country Adventure Tours (tel. 876/610-0818; http://www.stea.net). Guides are experienced and were trained by the U.S. Peace Corps. The easiest tour is called "Burnt Hill Natural History Tour," costing $54 per person. The second tour, "Rock Spring Cave," is a medium adventure including some visits to caves. The cost here is $65 per person. The most difficult jaunt is the "Quashie River Sink and Cave," costing $71 per person, and going into the difficult territory of the Quashie River, as well as exploring the 4km (2 1/2-mile) Quashie Cave, known for its "cathedral room" and its underground waterfall.

In all cases, it is necessary to hire two guides for each trip, even if only one person goes along. So it's recommended that you go with other people.

Cruise Critic

Best Cocktail

Jamaican Rum Punch made with juices from some of the freshest fruits in the world and Jamaica's famous island rums or a shot of Tia Maria, the island-produced coffee liqueur.

Where You're Docked

You'll dock in Freeport, only a few miles outside of the heart of Montego Bay.

Getting Around

On Foot: Downtown Montego Bay is a five minute walk.

Taxis: They line up at the dock but make sure you are hiring a licensed JUTA taxi.

Renting a Car: Drive on the left. Avis, Budget and Hertz are among those who have posts here; advance reservations are highly recommended. Car rentals range from $65 - $150 per day.

Shuttle bus: service from the cruise ship pier to downtown

City Centre Shopping Mall for US $ 2.- per person each way.

Doctors Cave Beach / Margaritaville, US$ 3.- http://www.margaritavillecaribbean.com/locations_montegobay.php.

What's Nearby

Shopping, dining and bar-hopping are within walking distance of the dock.

Beaches near Montego Bay (Cornwall, Walter Fletcher, Doctor's Cave and Rose Hall Beach) -- sugary white, with clear azure waters -- are among the Caribbean's best.

Don't Miss

Duty Free Shopping: Montego Bay's duty-free shopping is the City Centre shopping area which stretches along one block; there you'll find gold, timepieces, perfumes, crystal, leather goods, souvenirs and boutique clothing.

MoBay's newest and most upscale shopping center is located at Half Moon Village in the Rose Hall area, featuring fine duty-free shops, souvenir shops, clothing, restaurants and even a post office.

Golfing: Montego Bay has five championship courses in the area. The newest, The White Witch Golf Course at The Ritz-Carlton Rose Hall Resort, was designed by renowned course architect Robert von Hagge. Three Palms Ocean Course at Wyndham Rose Hall Resort & Country Club has been recently redesigned (and was cited by Barron's as one of the top three in the Caribbean). The Half Moon Golf Course was designed by Robert Trent Jones. In Ironshore, the SuperClubs Golf Club Montego Bay at Ironshore was recently redesigned by renowned course architect Robert Mootes. Finally, the Tryall Golf Course, The Tryall Club, and the former site of the Johnnie Walker World Championship, is located about a half hour outside of Montego Bay.

Been There, Done That

Tour the great houses of Jamaica, including the magnificently restored 1760 Rose Hall Great House (still reputed to be haunted by the ghost of Annie Palmer, "The White Witch"). ***** Great House, over 200 years old, was formerly owned by the family of Elizabeth Barrett-Browning, the famous English poet. Others in the area include Belfield Great House, Good Hope Great House and Hampden Great House.

Mountain Valley Rafting at Lethe offers a one-hour rafting trip on the Great River. Glide through canyons of green on the river which feeds into the sea west of Montego Bay.

Rocklands Feeding Station, a bird sanctuary in Anchovy, where you can watch and even hand-feed the friendly birds on property.

Beaches

Best Beach for a Half-Day Visit: Doctors Cave Beach

Best Beach for the Dedicated Beach Bum: Rose Hall Beach Club

Best Beach for Active Types: Walter Fletcher Beach

Secluded Beach: Freeport Beach

Cruise Critic Board- local tour company who can arrange taxi for a day Marva Shaw at www.knowjamaica.com

- recommend purchase "Blue Mountain Coffee" (be careful is 100% Blue Mtn)

We have not figured out our game plan for this port.

If we might ask what do you have in mind for this cruise stop?

Look forward to meeting you aboard QM2

Thanks Dean and Gayle...I have done a transatlantic and 2 Southern Caribbean back in 2004/early 2005, so it will be good to be back aboard. I am in Tampa now so will be going to Ft. Lauderdale the night before and then boarding on Saturday.

I think there have been some changes since I was last on the ship, so it should be interesting.

Hey folks, my name is Jim. I'm from Indiana, I will be sailing on the Queen Mary 2 on the 25th of November. Hey flguy, glad to see I ain't the only single guy on here. This will be my frist time on the QM 2, but will be my 18th cruise. I have done the western carib thing many times before, so the ports are very familiar too me. Jamica is my least favorite, don't get me wrong it's pretty there but you have to be very careful with the locals. I hope to get to know you all through this board before the cruise.

Thanks, Jim.

Hi, we're Nancy and Mark from Tampa, and we're on this trip. We did a transatlantic crossing last fall, and fell in love with the concept of a week on the ship, no where to go, and someone else is driving. We're not sure where the ship is going (we know it's W. Caribbean), and we don't really care. The dates worked with our calendars, the price was definitely right, and we need a vacation!

Hi to FLguy, highccc's and nrc. We look forward to seeing you on the ship. Thanks to dgf for all the research on ports of call. I love the locogrino.com website that takes you down the coast. Actually, until I looked at that I had no idea where Mahahual was!! nrc, I agree with you, we needed a vacation and the price was right. Plus, always wanted to sail the QM2 and couldn't pass it up. Two months from today we will be on board the ship!!!:D

Hey folks' date=' my name is Jim. I'm from Indiana, I will be sailing on the Queen Mary 2 on the 25th of November. Hey flguy, glad to see I ain't the only single guy on here. This will be my frist time on the QM 2, but will be my 18th cruise. I have done the western carib thing many times before, so the ports are very familiar too me. Jamica is my least favorite, don't get me wrong it's pretty there but you have to be very careful with the locals. I hope to get to know you all through this board before the cruise.

Thanks, Jim.[/quote']

Jim

Welcome aboard the thread. Wow on the number of cruises. We have a long way to go to catch up

If convenient would you mind sharing some of your experiences on the ports that we will be visiting on the QM2 cruise

Thanks for your prelim thoughts on Jamaica. Any suggestions on what to do and see for the day in this port.

Hi, we're Nancy and Mark from Tampa, and we're on this trip. We did a transatlantic crossing last fall, and fell in love with the concept of a week on the ship, no where to go, and someone else is driving. We're not sure where the ship is going (we know it's W. Caribbean), and we don't really care. The dates worked with our calendars, the price was definitely right, and we need a vacation!

Welcome Nancy & Mark to the thread

Hope to see you on board

Archived