Roll Call- QM2- November 25, 2006

DGF

Steve

Also for those who are planning excursions- Georgetown & Cozumel- early bookings would appear to be in order.

If I might ask, have you or Judy figured out what ports will be by tender.

Georgetown, of course, and given the number of passengers aboard, there may be some material delays which one may wish to take into consideration in allowing time to get to their private excursions.

If you do not mind me asking I noted you mentioned you are dining in the QG restuarant; is QG Queens Grill restaurant?

DEAN

Dean- so sorry for the late reply. I have been on more airplanes the last several days than i care to count! The 're-introduction' of liquids as carry-ons has sure caused havoc on security.

Yes, we are dining in the Queens Grille for the 11/25...I am starting to count the days until all I have to worry about is not drinking too much. :D

I am so sorry for mistaking Judy and Steve for being in Tampa. It was actually NCR (Nancy and Mark) that are in Tampa!!

Looking forward to it!

Dean- so sorry for the late reply. I have been on more airplanes the last several days than i care to count! The 're-introduction' of liquids as carry-ons has sure caused havoc on security.

Yes, we are dining in the Queens Grille for the 11/25...I am starting to count the days until all I have to worry about is not drinking too much. :D

I am so sorry for mistaking Judy and Steve for being in Tampa. It was actually NCR (Nancy and Mark) that are in Tampa!!

Looking forward to it!

Yes so are we looking forward to the cruise. We are dining next door to you in the Princess Grill. Hope to have the opportunity of meeting you while on board, perhaps in the Queens Grill Lounge

I noted you were looking for waverunners. Were you able to locate anything on Cozumel?

DEAN

We got notification from Cunard yesterday that we have a cabin assignment, number 11143. :) I guess I just needed to be a little patient! I did do a little research on the Mahahual(?) port in a Fodors Guide to Caribbean Ports book. They indicated that there is not much there, it is a small fishing village. The advised to book your excursions through the cruiseline because they tend to book everything that is available. However, I did find a website http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/StingrayCityCaptBryans.htm

that lists tours for some of our ports of call. Although it says grandcayman it also has excursions for Costa Maya, which would be this port. I have never used this website but it has links for Captain Bryans and Captain Marvins in Grand Cayman and a lot of people seem to recommend these two trips. Has anyone here had any experience booking excursions through a web site and not through the cruiseline?

We got notification from Cunard yesterday that we have a cabin assignment, number 11143. :) I guess I just needed to be a little patient! I did do a little research on the Mahahual(?) port in a Fodors Guide to Caribbean Ports book. They indicated that there is not much there, it is a small fishing village. The advised to book your excursions through the cruiseline because they tend to book everything that is available. However, I did find a website http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/StingrayCityCaptBryans.htm

that lists tours for some of our ports of call. Although it says grandcayman it also has excursions for Costa Maya, which would be this port. I have never used this website but it has links for Captain Bryans and Captain Marvins in Grand Cayman and a lot of people seem to recommend these two trips. Has anyone here had any experience booking excursions through a web site and not through the cruiseline?

Thanks Cleo245 for the information

Dean, I just noticed that you are also going on a cruise over New Years. We are also, on the Century, it is a five day out of Miami. We thought it would be fun to go away over New Years, this is the first time traveling over the holidays for us. We had booked the Century earlier this year and then we got information regarding this November 25 sailing of the Queen Mary 2 and it was too good to pass up. Did that happen to you also?

Dean, I just noticed that you are also going on a cruise over New Years. We are also, on the Century, it is a five day out of Miami. We thought it would be fun to go away over New Years, this is the first time traveling over the holidays for us. We had booked the Century earlier this year and then we got information regarding this November 25 sailing of the Queen Mary 2 and it was too good to pass up. Did that happen to you also?

Cleo245

New Years Eve Cruise- Background for us is in 2004, a Vancouver cruise travel agent drew to our attention an excellent deal on RCI Legend of the Seas (window cabin down on the lowest deck) 10 day New Years Eve cruise. We decided to "gamble" it, met some wonderful people, and had a great time. When we went back to our standard 2005 New Years routine we appreciated the difference and decided to canvas the New Years Eve Cruise opportunities. Came across the good numbers for Celebrity Zenith- again 10 days- and decided to try again. If this second New Years Eve is as good as the first, will continue to do the same. Our business allows us to have Xmas with the family and then get away for the remainder of the year and first week of January. RECOMMEND it to those who can find the 10 days

QM2- Background here is different. We have the dream of trying out the luxury cruise liners, one of which was Cunard QM2. Received a brochure from Cunard with great numbers for Grill Class. Were lucky since we had already booked a holiday in Florida, were able to split up the booking into two parts and with a little effort from a Toronto Cruise Travel Agent were able to get a P2 cabin. This will be a new expereince for us and are certainly looking forward to the Cruise

First, Judy and Steve - Great to see another Bay Area resident! I just moved to the area about 11 months ago from Chicago, so what a change. I am still trying to get adjusted to the more 'quiet' surroundings, but it is still a welcome transition.

I am meeting a friend in Ft. Lauderdale (from LA) the afternoon before. I cannot remember for the life of me where we are booked now (but I am sure it is a Marriott, as I love my points).

I have not yet received our travel documents, and was not given an assignment when I booked. However, we are booked in the QG restaraunt.

As far as excursions and the like go I have no idea if we will even get off the ship :D I have been traveling constantly for the last year, and cannot wait for the cruise to just have the option of 'staying put'! But, I cannot thank the posters enough for all the valuable information. It is everything we would need to determine where to go, and I really appreciate it!!!!

As simple as it may sound, where would be the best port to quickly rent a couple of wave runners? Also, if I we had to leave the ship for just one port, does anyone have a suggestion on which one it should be? Looking forward to your suggestions!

Look forward to hopefully meeting everyone!

Did you have any success in finding waverunner rentals in Cozumel

DEAN

• 2 weeks later...

Large parking garage right next to the terminal. Google for the Port Everglades Port Authority. They have a website with copious information. I have not parked there, but my father did when he joined us for a Caribbean on the HAL Zuiderdam.

Karie,

who wishes she were within diriving distance of there right now, instead of facing the gale just starting (50kt winds expected tomorrow. Thank goodness I have a GOOD generator!)

Large parking garage right next to the terminal. Google for the Port Everglades Port Authority. They have a website with copious information. I have not parked there, but my father did when he joined us for a Caribbean on the HAL Zuiderdam.

Karie,

who wishes she were within diriving distance of there right now, instead of facing the gale just starting (50kt winds expected tomorrow. Thank goodness I have a GOOD generator!)

Thank you. We have the web site and note that additional parking being constructed; which raised the possible concern as to availability when you have a lot of ships departing the same day

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for joining the thread and sharing your thoughts

We will be heading out to Florida next week and are looking forward to the QM2 cruise on Nov 25, 06.

We hope to see you aboard and please feel free to drop by to see us in our cabin- 10088; or leave us a note

Judy & Steve

We have asked for a table of six for dining in the Princess Grill and hoped to have the opportunity of dining with you sometime over the cruise

Thank you all for joining the thread and sharing your thoughts

We will be heading out to Florida next week and are looking forward to the QM2 cruise on Nov 25, 06.

We hope to see you aboard and please feel free to drop by to see us in our cabin- 10088; or leave us a note

Judy & Steve

We have asked for a table of six for dining in the Princess Grill and hoped to have the opportunity of dining with you sometime over the cruise

Hi Dean,

We are in 10032 and have a table for 4 in the grill. I can't believe it is coming up so soon! I am not ready at all. Normally, we cruise in mid-January, never so early in the season. We leave for Ft Lauderdale the day after Thanksgiving.

--Judy and Steve

Dear Dean & Gayle

Port City:

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Pier:

Passenger Terminal 21 Midport

Eller Drive

Port Everglades

Berth assignment: 21

During normal operations, the ship berths at Terminal 21, Port Everglades. However, in the event of Port/Harbor Master issues, alternate piers may be used.

Pier 21/Terminal 21 is located in the midport section of Port Everglades. The two story, air-conditioned terminal is effective for both disembarkation and embarkation. Customs Inspections and Luggage Collection are conducted on the Ground Level. Check-in and boarding are conducted on the second level, accessible by both elevator and escalators. The second level provides seating for guests who are waiting to be checked-in/board. Telephones, restroom and a Snack Bar are available on the second level for embarking guests. Restrooms and a limited number of telephones are available on the ground level for disembarking guests. Two elevators are available for guest use.

Which night will be fomal i do not know but traditionally these are days spent at sea and not the 1st or last day at sea

• 2 weeks later...

I see from kroooz-cams.com that the ship is in Montego Bay today, just wondered how the cruise is going for you?

Sure hope the weather holds up so you can dock in Costa Maya. My friend works with the mayor and is going to be included in the ship tour. Too bad I didn't book this earlier voyage. Take care of the ship for us. :D

Archived