Stingray City w/ Toddler?

HeatherL

Am I crazy? We're thinking about doing a stingray tour with a 2.5 year old. Will she be able to get in the water (we'd be holding her, of course)? How shallow is the water? I was just watching a video, and the water looked a little choppy...would it be too hard to hold a little one while looking at the rays?

i wouldn't recommend taking a toddler to stingray.. much too young to enjoy it and not a good idea

Well I don't agree with her not enjoying it! I think she'd think it was really cool actually! DH and I have already been, so the main reason we would go would be to let her experience it. She loves the water and all kinds of animals, so I think she'd get a kick out of being in the water with all the rays.

I guess my concern is more so will we be able to handle her in the water..is it shallow enough? is it too wavy? It's been several years since we went, so I can't remember the details.

Thanks for your responses.

I actually have to agree with Host Star. The two times I've been to Stingray City, the young kids on the boat with me (age 5 and younger) panicked and freaked out when their parents tried to get them in the water with the stingrays. These kids were all excited until we actually got there. I'm 5' 4 and the water came up to just a little below my shoulders.

The water conditions can vary greatly, so you can't really plan on those in advance. It could be rough or smooth.

No operator can guarantee that the water won't be over your head at some point at the sandbar.

I think you would have to book non-ship tour - don't think the ship tour would allow that young. Most, if not all, non-ship tours also include at least one snorkel stop where the water will definitely be over your head.

Some operators (like Soto's) offer real life jackets that you can wrap around you and bob along if conditions warrant.

We did the Stingray City in May with our 2 1/2 year old and he really enjoyed it. We booked the excursion thru Carnival and we brought his life jacket from home. The water we were in was about 3 1/2 to 4 foot and the was pretty calm. We all had a good time and would do the the Stingray City again. The Turtle Farm was really good also.

:)

It does depend on the conditions. I struggled to help my 8 year old with the rays and to get back to the boat.. we both were inhaling water and getting slammed by waves. He has been swimming since he was a year old and is a pretty strong swimmer.. but it was hard to try to swim through the choppy waves.. finally, our guide came out and got him, thank God! and helped us back but the guide was struggling too. We all were.

If it had been a calm sea, it would have been fine.. the water was pretty shallow but because of the strong waves, we all had to tread water and fight the waves and became tired easily.

I would, without a doubt, insist on a lifejacket for the younger ones.. and even for those adults who are not strong swimmers.

I actually have to agree with Host Star. The two times I've been to Stingray City, the young kids on the boat with me (age 5 and younger) panicked and freaked out when their parents tried to get them in the water with the stingrays. These kids were all excited until we actually got there. I'm 5' 4 and the water came up to just a little below my shoulders.
This was EXACTLY our experience with our 5 and 7 year olds. They were excited, but once in the water, they WANTED OUT! The rays are bigger and more intimidating in person. And it's difficult to hold a child because you're not really standing.

Hi - we took our nervous 5 year old last july. It was a struggle juggling thm out of the back of the boat as he wriggled and I am not a strong swimmer but once I moved to the shallower water we were both fine. He loved spotting and kissing the stingrays. It is worth it even if (presuming 2 adults are going) you take it in turns to get of the boat. Nice views from the boat any way.

We took grandkids 5,5,4 & just turned 3 there last year. It was a cooler day and the water was choppy. They all got in at the first snorkel stop but didn't like the waves hitting them and none stayed in the water more than a minute or two. I am a strong swimmer and was with the 3-year-old; it was quite a chore getting him back to shore (we brought their life jackets from home). I was grateful when the ship's crew came out to help. We went with Capt. Marvin.

At Stingray City the water was about waist deep on me (5'4"), but as previously mentioned, it varies. Only one child would get into the water, in her dad's arms, and then only for a short time. I don't think it would have been that difficult to hold them in the water.

All our grandchildren are very comfortable in the water--we live on a lake--but the chop and the stingrays scared them. They had a grand time on the boat though! We had eight adults total along so there was always someone to stay on the boat with them.

I don't think there is anyway to know for sure how your toddler will react with all the variables; weather, sea conditions, the child's mood, etc. For MOST children that age I think the sting rays might be a little much, though. But they will probably like the boat. Good Luck!

I wouldn't recommend taking a 2 1/2 year old. The water was calm and the rays are just beautiful but I don't think a toddler would appreciate the beauty of the rays and quite frankly, the size of the rays could really scare them. Wait until the child is older and really understands. The water was between my waist and shoulders as it keeps moving. (I am 5 ft. 4 in.) Hope this info helps.

We took our daughter to sting ray city just after she turned two and she loved it - she still talks about kissing the rays almost 2 years later. This cruise we are taking her again to see them with Soto's. We really enjoyed their tour and the pictures their on board photographer takes are well worth the money! (It was $50 for a CD the last time - they take your name and address and just as they promise it arrives at your home almost the same time you do!)

I can't wait to take our DD back in just a few weeks she's already talking about it again.

I've seen some young ones there.0Uhwv962fDEHAmAxjqsBjXVJ54COpnXX0300.jpg

Wave hits boat, man falls off boat with kids that can't swim. Ladder hits man in head. Man drops kid. kid w/o life jacket can't swim. man can't rescue kid because he passed out when hit by boat ladder.

kid drowns.

If ya can't swim, and especially if your a kid, you belong in an appropriate life jacket. And in open water like this, not the type III thing that they sell at walmart and such. One that will turn most unconscious wearers to a face-up position in the water.

Life Vest Definitions

• Type I PFD - Off-Shore Life Jacket
    • Foam = 22 lbs. of flotation
    • Commercial style, reversible, easy to put on
    • Provides the most buoyancy
    • Effective for all waters - especially where rescue may be delayed
    • Designed to turn most unconscious wearers to a face-up position in the water

[*]Type II PFD - Near-Shore Buoyancy Vest

• Foam = 15.5 lbs. of flotation
    • Inflatable = 33.5 lbs. of flotation
    • Intended for calm, inland water or where a quick rescue is possible
    • Will turn some unconscious wearers to a face-up position in the water (turning is not as definite as with a Type I PFD)

[*]Type III PFD - Flotation Aid

• Foam = 15.5 lbs. of flotation
    • Inflatable = 22.5 lbs. of flotation
    • Both lightweight and comfortable
    • Good for conscious wearers in calm, inland water or where a quick rescue is possible
    • Designed so wearers can place themselves into a face-up position in the water (wearer may have to tilt head back to avoid flipping over)
    • Type III foam vest offers same minimum buoyancy as Type II PFD
    • Type III foam vest comes in many colors and sizes and is most comfortable for continuous wear

Archived