Canada Braces for Hurricane Florence...

scots

HEre is a message posted on CC news board - Hurricane Florence's next stop could be Canada. According to Canada's CBC News, the storm that just blew through Bermuda could pass close to Newfoundland, where cruise port St. John's is located, late Wednesday. A tropical storm warning is currently in effect.

Though the storm is moving quickly over open water, weakening is expected over the next 24 hours; Florence is now a Category One on the Saffir-Simpson scale.

The next cruise ship expected to call at St. John's is Princess Cruises' Sea Princess, this Thursday; Sea Princess is currently crossing the Atlantic en route to Quebec City for a series of Canada/New England itineraries. At this point, Princess says the situation is "under observation."

I have an aunt and uncle in the Halifax area of Nova Scotia and a cousin in Truro, NS, which I think is more in the interior. I had a hunch that area would be clipped by Florence. I also know a couple of cruisers from up that way. I hope they all hang on tight!

Lynne (originally from Montreal).

Any of you cruisers currently on the Sea Princess - can you update us as to how things are going? The webcam has been stuck since Sept 6th and the folks at Princess can't give us any updates as to whether or not your captain will make any itinerary changes to your cruise as a result of Florence currently hitting the St Johns area. Please update us all as to how you are doing! Thanks a million - friends on board and would like to know all is well with the cruise. Safe voyage.

I'm posting this from the Sea. As of now there have been no changes to our schedule. The Captain said that it might be a little rough tonight (my words-I can't remember exactly how he put it). We are still expecting to be in St. John's tomorrow.

This has been a great trip so far with just some rough patches of bad weather. We have had a lot of rain. The best weather was yesterday when we were in Nanortalik, Greenland.

Archived