" WOW Batman!!" CSA insurance has gone way up !

motherchic

Received a call from my TA today. I had asked her to purchase CSA insurance for the two of us. Two week cruise. I am 51, my aunt is 77. We need pre-exhisting. Her call was to tell me how surprised she was by the price. She had heard that it was going up but was shocked by the price. For the two of us the cost was $1,100.

For us that was way too high...Any htoughts on the CSA increase?

Last month I purchased a "CSA Comfort Plan" policy for my upcoming cruise. It was the best deal for me last year, but this year I couldn't find it listed on the insuremytrip web site as an option. But my TA was able to find it and sell it to me, and it was still the best deal for my particular needs. It may be worth asking for, but as always, YMMV.

Theron

Last month I purchased a "CSA Comfort Plan" policy for my upcoming cruise. It was the best deal for me last year, but this year I couldn't find it listed on the insuremytrip web site as an option. But my TA was able to find it and sell it to me, and it was still the best deal for my particular needs. It may be worth asking for, but as always, YMMV.

Theron

It quiet literally just went up...and by a huge jump...too bad

For us we cannot afford not to do insurance...several cruises ago i had to have major surgery...when ( adding salt to the wound ) on the day of our departure. That time it was a thank goodness for the insurance.

Decided to go with the ship insurance...for this cruise it was $209/ person. Does not carry pre-exhisting but will give back 75% towards your next cruise.

For the difference in price i will have to go with that.

Received a call from my TA today. I had asked her to purchase CSA insurance for the two of us. Two week cruise. I am 51, my aunt is 77. We need pre-exhisting. Her call was to tell me how surprised she was by the price. She had heard that it was going up but was shocked by the price. For the two of us the cost was $1,100.

Are you sure that's right? We are paying $1130 for 11 people (8 adults and 3 kids) through Travel Guard.

On Sept 5 CSA discontinued the Comfort Plan. Your choices now are the Freestyle Plan (no pre-existing condition coverage) or the Freestly Luxe Plan (with pre-existing medical condition coverage).

The Freestlye plan apparently is working out less expensive for about 70% of the clients who were previously using the Comfort Plan. For those who need the Freestyle Luxe plan some are paying much more, some are about the same, and some are a little less.

Both of these plans are designed to be bought at the final payyment date to get the best price. The further out you but the plan the more expensive it becomes. So those of you who always buy coverage at the time the cruise is originally booked need to re-think that. Since the Luxe plan covers pre-existing conditions if bought at any time up to the final payment date there's really no need to invest money in a non-refundable policy when there's no penalties to cover.

Personally, I think CSA will bring back the Comfort plan or some new version thereof. The feedback from agents regarding this change I don't believe has been great. The plan itself is excellent as far as coverages but the pricing is all over the boards.

It appears that we are in the minority on CC, but with the exception of the one time we used CSA, we have used Celebrity's travel insurance for the cruise portion of our trips. Since our prepaid air fare can always be credited to a future flight if we had to cancel a cruise, I see no reason to insure it. Most hotels will only charge you if you don't cancel your reservation within a reasonable time frame, so I see no need to insure that either. The other bonus of insuring through the cruise line is that you don't have to worry about a reason not being covered because you always have the option of getting a substantial portion of the cancelled cruise's cost credited to a future cruise.

Out of curiosity, I just checked "insure my trip.com" to see what I could have paid to insure the cruise we have booked for November, and not one quote was lower than what Celebrity charged us for insurance.

It appears that we are in the minority on CC, but with the exception of the one time we used CSA, we have used Celebrity's travel insurance for the cruise portion of our trips. Since our prepaid air fare can always be credited to a future flight if we had to cancel a cruise, I see no reason to insure it. Most hotels will only charge you if you don't cancel your reservation within a reasonable time frame, so I see no need to insure that either. The other bonus of insuring through the cruise line is that you don't have to worry about a reason not being covered because you always have the option of getting a substantial portion of the cancelled cruise's cost credited to a future cruise.

Out of curiosity, I just checked "insure my trip.com" to see what I could have paid to insure the cruise we have booked for November, and not one quote was lower than what Celebrity charged us for insurance.

The cruise line plans are quite often less expensive for those in an upper age bracket. The cruise lines do not set the premiums according to the age of the passenger but instead average it out for everyone. The result is that those in younger age brackets can almost find less-exoensive options elsewhere while for those in higher age brackets they're getting a pretty good deal.

And while it probably isn't even in the top ten list of what can go wrong on a cruise... the cruise sponsored insurance won't cover you if the carrier is in default. Unlikely with one of the biggies, but it has happened.

Theron

Have you tried STA Travel? It is what I use. I can't say how they pay because I haven't had to use it but from reading about it, it does seem to be as good as the others. The site is mostly for students but anyone can buy the travel insurance. They don't go by age they just go by how long you will be gone. For 16 to 22 days it is 100 dollars per person. It is the most reasonable I have found. You might check them out.

The cruise line plans are quite often less expensive for those in an upper age bracket. The cruise lines do not set the premiums according to the age of the passenger but instead average it out for everyone. The result is that those in younger age brackets can almost find less-exoensive options elsewhere while for those in higher age brackets they're getting a pretty good deal.

Cruiseco, I am in my late fifites. Do you consider that to be "an upper age bracket"? Just last week I read that "60 is the new 40", so I feel as if I am in my late thirties :)

And while it probably isn't even in the top ten list of what can go wrong on a cruise... the cruise sponsored insurance won't cover you if the carrier is in default. Unlikely with one of the biggies, but it has happened.

Theron

Hi TPKeller :)

I realize that is a potential problem of buying insurance through the cruise line, but Celebrity allows you to add insurance when you make your final payment, which is what I do. Even though it isn't fool proof, I feel that there would be some clue at that point in time if Celebrity/Royal Carribbean was not financially sound enough to survive that two month period.

Hi TPKeller :)

I realize that is a potential problem of buying insurance through the cruise line, but Celebrity allows you to add insurance when you make your final payment, which is what I do. Even though it isn't fool proof, I feel that there would be some clue at that point in time if Celebrity/Royal Carribbean was not financially sound enough to survive that two month period.

Exactly. :)

Theron

I bought Access America insurance for two of us, ages 65 and 62, for our Mexican Riviera cruise and it was only a little over $400. I used to use CSA and haven't for the last 3 cruises because their prices had gone up. We can't go without insurance because of our health conditions and an elderly mother, whose heart condition could put her in the hospital or the grave at any moment.

Are you sure that's right? We are paying $1130 for 11 people (8 adults and 3 kids) through Travel Guard.

ALAS YES !!!!!!!!

Lucky lady thank you for the tip.

Cruiseco--thank you for explaining it more.

My aunt has had cancer in the past, i have had two back surgeries. I am an active mom of four but after last time...i could never take a chance on not having insurance....

I agree CSA will have to change something. This TA I am using was via a recommendation from a fellow cruiser ( got a great aft cabin thru her ). On-line TA ( first time to use her ) before , i knew about the rate hike for CSA, I wrote to her and told her to book us the CSA insurance. She could have just done it and instead she called yesterday to tell me about the recent rate increase. I appreciated her work ethics

Nadine

There is NO WAY you should pay that much to insure 2 people on a 2-week cruise.

For what it's worth, I have always found Travelex's Travelite product to fit my needs, but it is a "Lite" policy with less insurance than their higher priced insurance.

You should seriously consider a different insurance provider for this trip.

Here are a few to consider, and a site to compare them:

In order for your CSA policy to cost that much, your TA is putting in the trip cost of over $10,000.00. Is your trip costing that much? If so, then try Travelex Travel Lite policy. For a $10,000.00 trip, the cost would be $651 for yourself and your aunt. As long as it is purchased within 21 days of making deposit, the pre-existing conditions will be covered.

That cannot be right.

Go to http://www.tripinsurancestore.com and you can get a quote. Just put in trip dates, ages and cost of trip and you will get a quote.

I always buy my trip insurance there as there is an 800 number to talk to a real person with any questions. Don't buy it from you ta as something is not right.

Whoops! My memory really is off. I checked my records and the amount of our Access America insurance is only $238 for both of us for an 11-night Mexican Riv. cruise.

We used to get the cruiseline insurance, but discovered some private companies are cheaper with better coverage.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.

1/03 Explorer W. Carib.

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib.

2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal

6/06 Jewel Bris. Isles/Nor. Fjords

1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera

Archived