Celebrity bus

nicaphile

They also have a free one from Washington, DC, stopping in Baltimore, which we are taking for the Sept 23rd Zenith sailing. It is the first time we've done it, but I talked with a friend who took the bus a year or two ago and said it was smooth. It is a bit long because of the stop(s), but it means I'm not driving four hours each way and I'm not paying for parking. With that deal, I am willing to give it a try!

Bill

X- Fan:Millie (twice), Connie (twice), Galaxy, Horizon, and next Zenith

They also have a free one from Washington, DC, stopping in Baltimore, which we are taking for the Sept 23rd Zenith sailing. It is the first time we've done it, but I talked with a friend who took the bus a year or two ago and said it was smooth. It is a bit long because of the stop(s), but it means I'm not driving four hours each way and I'm not paying for parking. With that deal, I am willing to give it a try!

You'll have to pay for parking at the hotel in Baltimore ($50/week) or have someone drop you off.

The Celebrity bus trip is okay. We did it in late July. Left Baltimore at 9 am, on the ship at 1:30 pm. Coming home was a bit frustrating...we waited about 30 minutes for folks, they never showed up. And then about another 20 or 30 minutes lost to heavy traffic. We were dropped off in Baltimore at 3 pm.

We took the bus from Baltimore on September 2. It was free (that's the best thing I can say about it). We left Baltimore at 9:15. Stopped in Wilmington, DE where some people in the front had to direct the bus driver to the pick up point after we drove around the block 3 times. Then, we stopped at a small bus depot in New Jersey. We didn't stop for food, and didn't make it on the ship until about 2. So I would recommend bringing something to eat in case you are in the same situation.

On the way back, we were off the ship at 9:45. We didn't leave the port until 11:15, because when the bus got there the driver discovered one of the tires was going flat. Problem was, he never made an announcement to the passengers until we started growing restless. That doesn't seem to be a good way to handle that situation. I think we made it back to Baltimore around 4.

The frustrating thing to me was how disorganized it was. The first bus actually passed an exit on the interstate, stopped for a few minutes (I assume the driver was looking at directions), and then backed up. If this was the first trip to the port by the bus line, I would cut them some slack. But they have been doing it for months.

I'm not sure I would take it again, but other people have had better experiences. Just be prepared for a long day.

I am hoping we have better luck with the Boston bus. It stops in Worcester, Springfield and Hartford. I hate to get to the ship so late, but it does save a lot of money and stress.

7 years ago we did it and the bus broke down on the highway. Driver had no means to call his company. I don't remember all the details but the upshot is that a limo (stretch) stopped and gave the 7 of us a ride to the next stop. Said he had been in a similar situation in the past and wanted to help. (no, the bus company did NOT send the limo)There we waited a LONG time for a replacement bus and got to the ship close to 5. Thank goodness it was a X sponsored bus or they would not have waited. No apology or nothing. Check in people were annoyed we were late. Our steward was wonderful and got us a sandwich to wolf down before the muster. Sure hope it goes better this time. We have numbers for both the bus company and Celebrity's ground transport department (and a cellphone)

After hearing the posts about the free bus I'm glad we hired a service to take us to the pier! It sounds like there is a lot of problems with the buses that they are using. I hope they clear up the problems. We plan on being at the pier before 11 so a free bus is out of the question!

Archived