San Juan Flight question??

Lisa616

We are sailing on Galaxy out of San Juan. I am wondering if anyone thinks with priority disembarkation if it would be feasible to make a 10:30 flight out. I know it may be stressful, but all the flights after that are late! I was thinking with being in a suite and getting priority getting off..we may have plenty of time to make it. Thoughts? thanks!

I would say no way! 10:30AM is very early and the San Juan airport is not very efficient. 1PM - 1:30 PM would be the earliest I would chance getting out of San Juan.

Check to see how many other cruise ships are in San Juan on the day you are leaving. Multiply that times 2000 people trying to get out of San Juan as soon as possible. Of course a few will have post cruise stays in San Juan, but not many.

It will be interesting to see others opinions of this too.

You probably won't be able to make that flight. The San Juan airport is crazy when cruise ships are in. It is unbelievable. The one time we flew out the same day we got off this ship we waiting in line for about three hours. Now we always stay an extra day.

Agree -Anything before noon is risky. You will be stressed out all week thinking about making the flight.

If you do get lucky and get there and through security that early,there is always the chance that you could move to the 10:30 flight...not likely you'll get there though.

In many trips ,with priority disembarkation and a fast cab,the earliest we got there was after ten---not soon enough to clear security and check in.

Celebrity will give you directions to a jewelry store in Old San Juan that will store you luggage for you for free. Many people do this (I have done it twice) and they don't charge anything for this service and your bags are perfectly safe. Then you can kill time walking around Old San Juan and then go to the airport. I had a 3PM flight and this worked well for me and my family.

On Feb 12, 2007 there are 6 ships in port in San Juan

Windstar 7A-6P

Navigator of the seas 2P-10P

Empress of the Seas 7A-8P

Carnival Triumph 5P –

Galaxy 7A – 10P

Jewel of the Seas 2P – 8P

Navigator and Jewel of the Seas along with Carnival Triumph get in too late to impact your flight out. Further they may only be in as a port of call and not for embarking and disembarking passengers. Galaxy and the other two ships may be full of passengers looking to get out of San Juan the same time as you.

My advice is to give yourself plenty of time so you don’t worry about it all week.

Most of those ships are only in San Juan on port stops. I know, because I'm on the Jewel of the Seas that week.

I think Galaxy and Empress of the Seas are the only ones actually embarking and disembarking passengers in San Juan that day. Still noon would be the earliest I would recommend for a flight.

I'd check with the cruise line. I know most here have said no, but I have seen not to make a flight before 10am. But I would check with X to confirm this. That's the only way to be sure.

If you do, carry your own luggage off the ship and let them know. You'll need to be off the ship by 7:30 to make it.

Flying out when you do, you will not have as much airport congestion as you would if you flew on a Saturday or Sunday. The Empress is the only other ship kicking passengers off.

That being said, we are sailing at the end of Feb and made a 12:50 out of San Juan as opposed to the 10am flight available through Delta.

I also agree. There is always a lot of traffic in San Juan, and the dock and airport aren't that close by. Also, you need to be at the airport at least 2 hours before flight time. Too much stress and too much possibility of missing the flight. Also, Customs sometimes delays disembarkation.

We've done the Connie cruise out of San Juan in Jan. every year (this year we'll be doing the longer cruise on Galaxy instead) and with priority disembarking and taking a taxi we've actually bumped up to take a 10 AM flight once instead of the scheduled PM one...BUT...the aforementioned comments concerning the airport lines (especially American Airlines which I just won't use there anymore), extra security checks and unforseen delays are all right on and I would not chance it. There's just too many variables that could leave you missing the flight and possibly having to wait much later for the next available one. Have a great trip!

Archived