First-Time Cruise and Honeymoon - Travel Agent Required?

BottledRed

I'm planning our Honeymoon out of New Orleans (destination wedding) and was wondering if I would get a better experience using a travel agent rather than purchasing our cruise separately online.

If so, anyone have a good travel agent to recommend? :D

The wedding is September 15, 2005 and we'd like to take the Conquest afterwards.

I don't think we are supposed to recommend or promote specific travel agents here. The best advice is to ask friends and acquaintences. There are many fine TAs both local and on the web. Try Cruise Critic Community boards too.

After 14 cruises, I still much perfer a real live TA that enjoys cruising as much as I do. Very often they discount the fares from their commisions plus provide personal service. It's nice to know that if/and when something goes wrong, there's someone to go to bat for you. An experienced TA can guide you away from the less desireable cabins and give you other hints. Regardless of age, do take travel insurance. Anything can happen. To compare policies go to http://www.insuremytrip.com Hope this helps.

Only 82 more days till my next cruise.

You can most likely save alot by purchasing your own flights if needed and it's always a good idea to go a day early so that you're not worn out when you board. Same for hotels. Priceline works great for hotels.

Hi. Best wishes on your upcoming marriage.

There are SO many ways to book a cruise! I will suggest that you check ALL sources (local TA, online agencies, and Carnival "PVP" - Personal Vacation Planner). You have plenty of time, so do take your time in selecting the best route/price for your cruise.

I have used one particular Carnival PVP (sorry I can't give her name) for the past three cruises and an upcoming cruise. However, before actually booking, I STILL do all my homework, just to make sure I'm getting the best rate. She always comes thru for me, and I've yet to cruise without a rate reduction before final payment, and/or shipboard credits afterwards.

Just start doing some research. (And make SURE the prices you are quoted INCLUDE taxes and port charges!) Good luck!:)

If you are a first-time cruiser, I would advise you NOT to book your cruise on-line. You can call Carnival directly, or better yet, use a local TA. If you are not familiar with Cabin categories, required documentation (for example..the Bride must cruise under her maiden name), itinerary, dining requests, trip insurance, etc., you will probably need someone you can contact directly to answer your questions. As Cotton said, do a LOT of research, read Conquest reviews, check out Carnival's website, and plan to book according to your budget...and then double that amount for shipboard spending! Good luck!

Best wishes and a great big welcome aboard. If by chance you are on AOL, you are invited to our Cruise Critic Chatroom. Any night after 9:30. We have a great group of regulars and always there to answer questions from newbies as well as sharing cruise experiences. We do get off subject sometimes such as food. AOL Keyword: Cruise cafe

Archived