Simple, Casual Beach Wedding Worth Royal Romance?

Sandy Sails

We're thinking about getting married next April on the Freedom - on the beach in Jamaica. Just the two of us, casual, simple. He in shorts and a Hawaiian shirt, me in a nice sundress (or something). BTW - we met this past April on the Empress of the Seas so think it appropriate to get married on a cruise one year later. And we've both done the big wedding thing years ago so don't need to do it again.

In researching the Royal Wedding packages, it seems a little extravagant for what we had in mind. However, the alternative is - we wouldn't be able to do anything. You have to actually be IN Jamaica for 48 hours before getting married. Unless you use Royal Romance.

Do you think it's worth the $1,695 + $245 license fee? We probably wouldn't order any extras. Do you think they'd let us use our own cameras and video camera, since we're only allowed one 8X10 photo from the professional photographer?

Thanks for your advice - still pondering all of this.

Thanks - I had already checked that out and found out that you have to be in Jamaica for 48 hours. Wouldn't work for an 8-hour cruise stop.

Royal Romance made it sound like they do alot of the simple casual weddings for their packages and that the big fancy weddings always add the extras.

We are getting married in Ocho Rios on November 2nd, 2006 while cruising on Carnival Triumph. Tropicalweddingsjamaica.com is who we are booked with and we do not have to be there for 48 hours...in fact we are only in port from 8am to 3:30.

Their prices are very reasonable and Almarie is a real gem to deal with...very imformative, creative and she answers all emails in a reasonable amount of time.

I would double check the "48 hours" you have been quoted. Hope it all comes together for you and gratz on your engagement and upcoming wedding

Hi,

Since you are going on Freedom, then you must be stopping in Ochos Rios right?

I'm also getting married in Jamaica arrived in Montego Bay via Liberty of the Seas. I have done tons of research and there are lots of places that will help you waive the residency requirement. All the places I have communicated with said it's no problem. You can confirm this with them even though their wedding packages state you have to be there for at least 48 hours.

For example, there's a resort in MoBay that only charges $795 to have a wedding there. This package includes all taxes and service charges and is based on 10 guests. I'm showing you what they offer so when you do your research, you have something to compare to.

Their Ivory Package:

• Two Bottles of House Champagne for Toast(Asti Spumante)
    • Single Tier Wedding Cake
    • Wedding Keepsake memento
    • Bridal Bouquet and Groom’s Boutonniere
    • Decorated Table for Signing of Wedding Documents
    • Wedding Ceremony performed at either our One-of-a-Kind Wedding Gazebo or on our Private Beach right on the Caribbean Sea
    • All License Fees and Ministers Fees
    • Application and Processing of Marriage License

I'm sure you'll be able to save some money if you're willing to find your own resort or wedding coordinator company. Unfortunately, the package above won't be available to you since MoBay is about a 2 hour drive away from Ochos Rios but I'm sure OR have some nice resorts too.

Hope this helps.

Hi Sandy,

I am using Royal Romance for my St. Thomas wedding which is in November 2006. I chose RR since I was told that in case of an issue with that island such as a hurricane, they have the ability to move my wedding to another port. I am not sure if you pick a wedding coordinator on a specific island that you will have that ability..

I was told that since RR has coordinators at all of the ports it is very easy for them to do this..

It was a lot more money then I wanted to spend but I guess at this point I am doing it for my sanity..

Ginger

BeachBride - The Freedom actually stops in MoBay during that week. I was hoping for Sunset Beach Resorts - is that who you were talking about? They also have a $700 wedding package. When I called them, they're the ones that quoted me the 48-hour requirement. I'm actually tempted to skip the cruise entirely and just stay there for a week. Might be easier and less expensive (although I'd have to do some comparison shopping). Thanks for the encouragement! Let me know what resort in MoBay you're talking about so I can contact them.

Ginger - You're right - it might just be easier and less stressful to let Royal Romance handle everything. I think what I may end up doing is when we're finally ready to make final payment on the cruise (so we can get our booking number), I'll call Royal Romance to make sure that date is still available. If it's not, then I'll make other plans.

Sugar67 - thanks for the website - I'll check it out!

I really appreciate everybody's advice. I'm trying so hard not to get stressed out. Meanwhile, we'll be dealing with him moving to Seattle, finding a job, buying a house, selling my condo, moving......and getting married. Whew! Happy times ahead!!

Sandy Sails, as one who is planning a wedding in Key West while on a Celebrity ship in November, I can tell you that I saved a bunch doing it myself. As we are cruising late in the month, I feel comfortable with the hurricane situation, though nothing is a sure thing. I just really hate being ripped off and RR charges way too much IMO.

We are having a formal wedding with 13 guests in a private botanical garden (also offered by RR), flowers which I choose personally, a brunch at a lovely bistro and have a local notary who has been very helpful. The total cost for this is under $1,000 and it would have been 4x as much to do the same through the cruise line. The savings has more than paid for a balcony cabin and all other travel expenses.

I know it is not a foreign port so I am not comparing apples to apples. But, I would roll the dice as April is not storm season and you can analyze the odds. This is the not the first marriage for us either so we are pretty relaxed about it as it seems you are.

If you do decide to spend a week in Jamaica instead, I would suggest a different resort. I have been to Jamaica to vacation (land) over 20 times and love the island. For value and romance, look into Sunset at the Palms.

Two more thoughts to consider:

1) I have been on FOS and she is huge; the ship is going to be packed with kids (she feels packed period anyway and this is spring break) and I think it would be very unromantic

2) If you choose an AI instead of a cruise, you pay one price and then you are done. Most do weddings for free and the location and atmospher at SSATP, or Couples, is far more romantic and special than FOS.

JMHO. Good luck whatever you decide!

Thanks for the idea! I had called Sunset Beach Resorts in Montego Bay this morning and got a fantastic price for a 6-night stay, all inclusive. It was less than 1/2 of what the Freedom cruise would be. The wedding package is $700.

I then came up with an even better idea - to move it up 2 weeks and get married on the exact day that we met last April on the Empress. How can you resist?

I looked up the Sunset at the Palms resort website - looks wonderful! It's also got the exact same $700 wedding package. So I think the only difference would be a different ambience. No water park (we're not kids anymore so that would be fine). It's located in Negril, versus Montego Bay. Is that better? At least it wouldn't have the cruise ships visiting every day.

I'll call and get a quote from Sunset at the Palms also.

Thanks for the info!! Sandy

Hi Sandy,

The resort I was referring to was The Rose Hall Resort (formerly Wyndham). You can email them on their website and they'll send you their wedding brochures of all their packages. I also contacted A Wedding For You, Sunset Beach Resort, Tropical Weddings, The Ritz-Carlton and two villa companies!

The resort we're personally booking with is The Half Moon Resort. We're having about 60 guests going with us on the cruise so I'm going all out as if we're having it in town. We're doing the wedding ceremony and a lunch buffet at the resort. When we return to the ship, we're going to try to host a dinner "reception" at Chops.

I am really enjoying the planning process myself and would rather prefer it this way than to have RR handle it! I have read terrible reviews about them and didn't want the added stress.

The above poster is right, the resort does not refund me should the ship not be able to dock in MoBay that day nor would we be able to make alternate plans to have it at another port on such short notice. I evaluated the risks and decided it was worth it.

We're having it in August but Jamaica is not one of those islands that are usually hit by hurricanes. (They may get storms.) I probably have a greater probability of the Miami airport being closed than us not being able to dock in MoBay.

Good luck with your planning! :)

Thanks for the idea! I had called Sunset Beach Resorts in Montego Bay this morning and got a fantastic price for a 6-night stay, all inclusive. It was less than 1/2 of what the Freedom cruise would be. The wedding package is $700.

I then came up with an even better idea - to move it up 2 weeks and get married on the exact day that we met last April on the Empress. How can you resist?

I looked up the Sunset at the Palms resort website - looks wonderful! It's also got the exact same $700 wedding package. So I think the only difference would be a different ambience. No water park (we're not kids anymore so that would be fine). It's located in Negril, versus Montego Bay. Is that better? At least it wouldn't have the cruise ships visiting every day.

I'll call and get a quote from Sunset at the Palms also.

Thanks for the info!! Sandy

If you read the reviews at tripadvisor.com, you will see there is NO comparison. Negril is MUCH nicer than MoBay, and yes, no cruise ships dumping people off. The resort itself is across from 7 mile beach, which IMO is one of the best in the Caribbean. The ambiance is personal.

Rose Hall is hotel like and might as well be anywhere.

Keep us posted:)

I think you will be thrilled!

Ok, thanks to all of you, we have finalized our wedding plans. We're going to cancel the Freedom cruise (you're right - not very romantic) and book the Sunset at the Palms in Negril. The "treehouse" rooms look really cool, plus it's on the west side of the island - which means great sunsets!

I couldn't have done this without all of you so thank you very very much. We're really excited! Plus getting married on the exact date that we met will be very special. And we'll be able to get married at sunset - something we couldn't have done on a cruise.

Take care - Sandy

Ok, thanks to all of you, we have finalized our wedding plans. We're going to cancel the Freedom cruise (you're right - not very romantic) and book the Sunset at the Palms in Negril. The "treehouse" rooms look really cool, plus it's on the west side of the island - which means great sunsets!

I couldn't have done this without all of you so thank you very very much. We're really excited! Plus getting married on the exact date that we met will be very special. And we'll be able to get married at sunset - something we couldn't have done on a cruise.

Take care - Sandy

Sandy, great choice! Post back and let us know how it turns out.

• 7 months later...

Hi All: Just wanted to update you that the wedding in Negril, Jamaica last week was wonderful. Barefoot on the beach at sunset - couldn't have been better. We made lots of friends at the all-inclusive resort so had alot of wedding guests.

The resort, Sunset At the Palms, was very unique. It wasn't on the beach (disappointing) but it did have a wonderful private beach once you got across the busy highway. The rooms were bungalows that were off the ground and felt like a tree house. And the pool was fantastic, with a swim-up pool bar. The only reason I wouldn't really recommend this resort, besides it not being on the beach, is that it's either on top of or next to a swamp. Alot of biting bugs and noisy night critters. It's one week later and I'm still scratching!

The biggest difference between a cruise and an all-inclusive resort, of course, is that the drinks are all free. Plus it was very romantic and relaxing. I highly recommend it as a replacement for a cruise.

That said, we did book a Mediterannean cruise for 2008 because, afterall, we are cruise-addicts.

Thanks again for all of your initial advice, lo those many months ago.

Take care, Sandy

Archived