How big is BIG?

dansu

...just found out we're sailing with the marines! :eek:

googled the Carnival Legend, and my date...

MARINE CORPS LEAGUE 2007 CRUISE

Maybe PVP should have mentioned this...ya think!

Given all the postings on this thread about a trip on the Legend earlier this month with large amounts of affiliated people (see I found a way not to use the g-word)...anyone out there know how big an affiliation this is?

I couldn't understand why others signatures neglected to include my trip and rollcall only showed 3 others going....now I know....it's official...the marines don't read this thread! LOL

..although on the bright side....all those buff men in dress uniforms on formal night, and the Lido deck during the day, won't I feel safe at sea!:D

1st time cruising.

Given all the postings on this thread about a trip on the Legend earlier this month with large amounts of affiliated people (see I found a way not to use the g-word)...anyone out there know how big an affiliation this is?

I couldn't understand why others signatures neglected to include my trip and rollcall only showed 3 others going....now I know....it's official...the marines don't read this thread! LOL

..although on the bright side....all those buff men in dress uniforms on formal night, and the Lido deck during the day, won't I feel safe at sea!:D

1st time cruising.

Why should your PVP have mentioned this? Do you have a problem with being around a bunch of Marines?:mad:

The main down side to cruising with (the "g" word) large affiliated folks is if they all want the late (or early) sitting at dinner and that is when you want to dine......they may "out number your vote".

I think it has less to do with the numbers and more to do how people act.

I mean the ship has to be filled up with someone. If they act like folks that are all there to have a good time and just happen to know one another, you will be fine.

Hopefully, they will not behave like that group of thugs on the Legend.

Why should your PVP have mentioned this? Do you have a problem with being around a bunch of Marines?:mad:

No ma'am, or is it sir...rather looking forward to it. :) Re-read my original post!

It wasn't who we were sailing with that worried me, it was how many, as I spent last evening reading the posts from another Legend cruise earlier this month, and very large amounts of people travelling together seemed to create chaos for others!

Hate to burst your bubble but you may be cruising with a bunch of older guys (and gals).;)

POP!!!!.....that was the sound of you bursting my bubble! I was just lying here in bed on my day off, youngest just of to school, oldest doesn't have classes until noon...hubby snoring softly in the not so distant distance...house real quiet...dreaming of all those fit young men on the Lido deck, doing their morning workout. I guess you can say I've watched one too many B movies! LOL.

...although, there's nothing wrong with an older man in dress uniform...buff is buff! :D

1st time cruising.

1st time cruising.

On our second cruise we sailed with a large group from the Clear Channel Radio Stations. Some kind of promotional thing with concerts and other stuff, I'm sure. They had their own group get togethers, but it in no way effected us. Our up coming cruise is with a group from Cruise Critics. We are not booked with the Cruise Critic group and we do not plan on changing to the group booking. They will do their group things, and we will do our own thing. Who cares if there is a large group together on your ship. It is a huge ship and they shouldn't bother you a bit. You should be proud to be sailing with the Marine Corp. Be sure to thank as many as possible for their service to our great country. God Bless the Marine Corp and the U.S.A.

...from all the other threads discussing a military rate, if you check the link to their web page...they are paying alot. It's more than we are, and we have CCL airfare and an extended balcony on the Verandah deck in January...we couldn't take advantage of the sale rates, as they gave us a promo rate on the airfare..so our cabin is full published rate. They are only coming from Springhill, Florida...a few hours from the port...I thought they gave the military a reduced rate!:confused:

I think the main concern when cruising with a large group - ANY large group - is that sometimes your rights get swallowed up. As someone mentioned, if the group is all at one dinner sitting or another it can mess up your preference. Also, I have heard of large groups taking over the shows and saving rows and rows of seats in the prime seating areas (that sometimes stay empty!) and saving spots in line at the buffet (one person said they got in line and people kept jumping in ahead of them because they were in the same group and as the person in front of him so they just saw someone they knew from the group and cut right in. After 10 minutes the person was farther back in line then when they started!)

We were with a group of about 500 on our last cruise and I experienced no problems at all - it may depend on the type of group you are dealing with. This was a group called "Authors at Sea" and it was made up of authors and fans. They were a very polite group and because they all had the late seating for dinner, (we wanted early) there was no problem there! They did kind of tie up the sports bar for all their meetings and get togethers, but I wouldn't have spent time there anyway! The only time I really noticed an "inconvenience" was when we were waiting to get off the ship in Mazatlan. We were about 5th in line and by the time they opened the doors to get off, over 25 people had cut in front of us. No big deal, just a tad rude.

If all groups were like them, I wouldn't be worried - but I have heard horror stories about Richard Simmons groups! :D

...from all the other threads discussing a military rate, if you check the link to their web page...they are paying alot. It's more than we are, and we have CCL airfare and an extended balcony on the Verandah deck in January...we couldn't take advantage of the sale rates, as they gave us a promo rate on the airfare..so our cabin is full published rate. They are only coming from Springhill, Florida...a few hours from the port...I thought they gave the military a reduced rate!:confused:

Generally, special interest groups are more expensive... they include various things in the price. It's fairly common. The rates some are paying on our upcoming cruises is hundreds more than what we are paying because of their group...

I think the main concern when cruising with a large group - ANY large group - is that sometimes your rights get swallowed up. If all groups were like them, I wouldn't be worried - but I have heard horror stories about Richard Simmons groups! :D

..a little creative editing :D

Does Richard Simmons really organize groups for cruising?

...now those post cruise threads from onboard observers would be fun to read! LOL

I've sailed with a radio group of over 1000 and had no problems at all. Also sailed with a group of 700 & must say... the rudest, most obnoxious bunch of people ever. It all depends on the people in the group. Sometimes you get lucky & sometimes you don't.

mmmmmmm.... Marines...

And, no, your PVP is not allowed to mention this to you.

What is wrong with the Marines?

You should turn your frown upside down.

I have nothing against the Marines, it could have been the Chilean Woodcutters for all I'm concerned...okay now I'll probably have Chileans ragging on me too.

My concern is just how many...will a large amount of people travelling together get preferred treatment, access to the tenders before us...fill the excursions as a group, therefore reducing the possibilty of us being able to book on that excursion. Yes, I hope to book online as soon as they post, but will the large group have been able to fill those spots when they booked as a whole. I'm not talking about a shopping trip in town, or a day at the beach. I have waited 25 years to take my 1st cruise...and have dreamt of transiting the Panama Canal. It would be a shame to have waited so long to go, and not be able to go.

I don't give a rats @#$ about having to stand in line at the buffet, as I am going for fun in the sun, and and experience of a lifetime...Central America, and to get away from the day-to-day stress of work...and not to belly up to a buffet. I'll find what to eat if get hungry. I plan to party with the best of them...and spend quality time with husband, as this will be our 25th Anniversay trip. This is our 1st vacation off land, last year we were at an all-inclusive in Huatulco, Mexico....where yes we were all from large groups, as most reservations to Huatulco are made through tour carriers. We were on land and in control of our own plans.

My only concern is....how will it impact ME...sorry us!

If the Marine group were on my ship, I would be proud. Of course buff guys, no matter their age, is always eye candy, even if I am married :D .

What a opportunity to tell them face to face how much they mean to each of us. No matter what your political affiliation, they are still the ones that are out on the front lines, protecting our freedom and way of life.

I have nothing against the Marines, it could have been the Chilean Woodcutters for all I'm concerned...okay now I'll probably have Chileans ragging on me too.

My concern is just how many...will a large amount of people travelling together get preferred treatment, access to the tenders before us...fill the excursions as a group, therefore reducing the possibilty of us being able to book on that excursion. Yes, I hope to book online as soon as they post, but will the large group have been able to fill those spots when they booked as a whole. I'm not talking about a shopping trip in town, or a day at the beach. I have waited 25 years to take my 1st cruise...and have dreamt of transiting the Panama Canal. It would be a shame to have waited so long to go, and not be able to go.

I don't give a rats @#$ about having to stand in line at the buffet, as I am going for fun in the sun, and and experience of a lifetime...Central America, and to get away from the day-to-day stress of work...and not to belly up to a buffet. I'll find what to eat if get hungry. I plan to party with the best of them...and spend quality time with husband, as this will be our 25th Anniversay trip. This is our 1st vacation off land, last year we were at an all-inclusive in Huatulco, Mexico....where yes we were all from large groups, as most reservations to Huatulco are made through tour carriers. We were on land and in control of our own plans.

My only concern is....how will it impact ME...sorry us!

I THINK the OP's question here is not about dealing with public spaces such as Lido Deck and many of the other things that have been mentioned but rather some of the other aspects that have posted over time about groups on the ship...

I have read about groups (sorry to use that word !! :)) which have had public rooms reserved for private parties which means that you can find yourself heading to the Piano Bar for example and finding out that it is closed for a private party etc. And I believe this is the kind of thing you (OP) are referring to.....

If so...It is true that I have read of this happening but I don't think it is a largely common occurance and when it does happen the private parties are not for a long extended period. When I was on the Triumph there was a huge wedding group (about 200 people). They had a private party for a short amount of time and then it was great fun to join them around the ship and celebrate with them...they were easy to spot because the bride was in her gown and the family was beaming! I also have noticed that most of the time the private parties/meetings are held in lounges that are not usually the most filled locations on the ship (such as the Sports Bar) and many of the newer ships have special rooms to accomodate this kind of thing anyway.

I don't think I would be to concerned if I were you. I think that the Hotel Manager's have a lot of experience with this and most of the time it does not effect the goings on around the ship.

ME, ME, ME. Maybe they are just trying to take a relaxing vacation and have a good time just like YOU, YOU, YOU. It doesn't have to effect you at all. It's a big ship.

Just got off the phone with CCL excursions...the larger parties are offered the excursions when they book. Her advice was that if we are not able to book, when they post online, the Panama Canal transit, maybe someone will cancel once we are on the boat! Yah...I can see that happening!

I'll hold off getting upset until the excursions post, as maybe she has upset me for nothing....next call PVP!:(

Archived