How big is BIG?

dansu

I have nothing against the Marines, it could have been the Chilean Woodcutters for all I'm concerned...okay now I'll probably have Chileans ragging on me too.

My concern is just how many...will a large amount of people travelling together get preferred treatment, access to the tenders before us...fill the excursions as a group, therefore reducing the possibilty of us being able to book on that excursion. Yes, I hope to book online as soon as they post, but will the large group have been able to fill those spots when they booked as a whole. I'm not talking about a shopping trip in town, or a day at the beach. I have waited 25 years to take my 1st cruise...and have dreamt of transiting the Panama Canal. It would be a shame to have waited so long to go, and not be able to go.

I don't give a rats @#$ about having to stand in line at the buffet, as I am going for fun in the sun, and and experience of a lifetime...Central America, and to get away from the day-to-day stress of work...and not to belly up to a buffet. I'll find what to eat if get hungry. I plan to party with the best of them...and spend quality time with husband, as this will be our 25th Anniversay trip. This is our 1st vacation off land, last year we were at an all-inclusive in Huatulco, Mexico....where yes we were all from large groups, as most reservations to Huatulco are made through tour carriers. We were on land and in control of our own plans.

My only concern is....how will it impact ME...sorry us!

Hi Dansu,

On our Miracle trip in January we were on board with a large "g" from the Grand Ol Opry. Our experience with the "g" was excellent. Yes a few times they seemed to get "preferential" treatment (when we arrived at the terminal in Tampa they were wisked to the head of the security lines - no biggie, they booked lounges for concerts - oh well there were lots of others, many excursions were cancelled due to lack of interested passengers - bummer but we found other stuff to do, they had the entire bottom level of the dining room for the late seating - we still got late seating and overlooking the bottom level more fun people watching, the lounges were a bit more quiet than other ships we have sailed on). In other words it didn't negatively affect our experience. We even got to see lots of country stars Pam Tillis, Charlie Pride to name a few.

When I heard about the "google" your cruise I did that for our upcoming cruise on the Pride in January. Well no need to guess for long. We will be back on with the Grand Ol Opry once again. I'm looking forward to it. Yes a large group - but lovely people who didn't use their "g" status to be better than anyone else. In preparation we will book all excursions privately before we go, and I will stop in at the dining room upon embarkation to ensure I have my preferred late seating. I'll look forward to seeing some people we met on our Miracle cruise.

Booking with the same "g" unknowingly - is that like being struck by lightning twice?

If you are that worried though - just change your date - or go with the attitude that you could have a great time with the "g"!!

Payd:)

Hi Dansu,

On our Miracle trip in January we were on board with a large "g" from the Grand Ol Opry. Our experience with the "g" was excellent. Yes a few times they seemed to get "preferential" treatment (when we arrived at the terminal in Tampa they were wisked to the head of the security lines - no biggie, they booked lounges for concerts - oh well there were lots of others, many excursions were cancelled due to lack of interested passengers - bummer but we found other stuff to do, they had the entire bottom level of the dining room for the late seating - we still got late seating and overlooking the bottom level more fun people watching, the lounges were a bit more quiet than other ships we have sailed on). In other words it didn't negatively affect our experience. We even got to see lots of country stars Pam Tillis, Charlie Pride to name a few.

When I heard about the "google" your cruise I did that for our upcoming cruise on the Pride in January. Well no need to guess for long. We will be back on with the Grand Ol Opry once again. I'm looking forward to it. Yes a large group - but lovely people who didn't use their "g" status to be better than anyone else. In preparation we will book all excursions privately before we go, and I will stop in at the dining room upon embarkation to ensure I have my preferred late seating. I'll look forward to seeing some people we met on our Miracle cruise.

Booking with the same "g" unknowingly - is that like being struck by lightning twice?

If you are that worried though - just change your date - or go with the attitude that you could have a great time with the "g"!!

Too much involved in changing the date, as dates for this cruise are limited. Hubby is self employed and can only go mid to late January, when business is slow, and then it brings us too close to the Super Bowl...no accomodations or airfare. Also, had to have my vacation approved 6 months in advance, to ensure others could take theirs, and the office would still be covered...Gov't funny like that! So I guess I will be telling it to the Marines...I'm sure we'll have a blast...it's just that the shore excusions still hold my concern, as the Panama Canal transit can only be booked through the cruise line....no private bookings. Costa Rica and Belize have private tour operators, some I'm not so concerned about them. Besides, if I can't book through CCL, I just have to call the Marine co-ordinator, as he is posted on their website....I do great phone! LOL;)

The Valor Vampires (10/05) could curl your hair with stories about the large group we sailed with, but I doubt you will have those problems with the Marines. ;) Our Legend cruise in March had a large group of ParrotHeads.....now they should be fun!:D

...what's a ParrotHead?:o

Hey when is this cruise and what date is it sailing. I'd love to sail with the Marines. And my hubby a former Marine will be leading the cheer. Pratice your Ou Rahs!!! And you will have a blast..........

8 day exotic Western Caribbean

Carnival Legend

January 19, 2007

sailing out of Fort Lauderdale

Too much involved in changing the date, as dates for this cruise are limited. Hubby is self employed and can only go mid to late January, when business is slow, and then it brings us too close to the Super Bowl...no accomodations or airfare. Also, had to have my vacation approved 6 months in advance, to ensure others could take theirs, and the office would still be covered...Gov't funny like that! So I guess I will be telling it to the Marines...I'm sure we'll have a blast...it's just that the shore excusions still hold my concern, as the Panama Canal transit can only be booked through the cruise line....no private bookings. Costa Rica and Belize have private tour operators, some I'm not so concerned about them. Besides, if I can't book through CCL, I just have to call the Marine co-ordinator, as he is posted on their website....I do great phone! LOL;)

You'll have a great time. You will no doubt be sailing with a large "g" of wonderful, respectful, pleasant Marines. Have a wonderful cruise~!

Don't forget to send us a review ~ the Panama Canal is something we look forward to once our kids are off to University/College and we are empty nesters!

ME, ME, ME. Maybe they are just trying to take a relaxing vacation and have a good time just like YOU, YOU, YOU. It doesn't have to effect you at all. It's a big ship.

A tad harsh, considering it's a valid question on how something might effect a person's cruise along the lines of tendering, entertainment venues, etc. Not to mention this is the OP's first cruise;)

You'll have a great time. You will no doubt be sailing with a large "g" of wonderful, respectful, pleasant Marines. Have a wonderful cruise~!

Don't forget to send us a review ~ the Panama Canal is something we look forward to once our kids are off to University/College and we are empty nesters!

Well, we're not empty nesters yet..one son is a sr high school, and the other graduates college next year....so we have a few years to go...but it is my dream of a lifetime to transit the Panama Canal...and who knows what the next few years will bring. I'd rather go while I am young, so the memory will last longer!

A tad harsh, considering it's a valid question on how something might effect a person's cruise along the lines of tendering, entertainment venues, etc. Not to mention this is the OP's first cruise;)

Thank you :)

Well, we're not empty nesters yet..one son is a sr high school, and the other graduates college next year....so we have a few years to go...but it is my dream of a lifetime to transit the Panama Canal...and who knows what the next few years will bring. I'd rather go while I am young, so the memory will last longer!

So are you taking your kids?

We have decided (so far) that cruising is for us as a couple (and take two other vacations a year with our kids). When we do the canal I am hoping to do a 10 or 14 day cruise (and can't leave the kids for that long - besides grandma and grandpa would be too worn out). So we'll just wait for another 6 or so years!

Enjoy your dream trip!!

So are you taking your kids?

We have decided (so far) that cruising is for us as a couple (and take two other vacations a year with our kids). When we do the canal I am hoping to do a 10 or 14 day cruise (and can't leave the kids for that long - besides grandma and grandpa would be too worn out). So we'll just wait for another 6 or so years!

Enjoy your dream trip!!

No....25th Anniversary...besides they have had their fair share of quality vacation time, winter breaks when they were younger in Florida, Summer in Cape Cod, theme parks, water parks and marine parks in Florida and California, visiting close friends in Arizona, New York City, Alcapulco for high school grad trip, Niagara Falls, Toronto, Montreal....it's mom and dad quality time....we'll take lots of pictures.

...and Granny and Grandpa will probably be in bed before my boys...they're are only staying with them to ensure they go to class on time, and that they actually take the time to eat.

[quote name='dansu']8 day exotic Western Caribbean
Carnival Legend
January 19, 2007
sailing out of Fort Lauderdale[/QUOTE]

Oh wish we'd know about the Marine Corp Cruise. We are already booked for this cruise leaving October 31st. And we are with you this is a cruise dream come true going to the Panamal Canal glad to be doing it now. We too are almost empty nesters our youngest just left for college!

[quote name='walkswife']Being single with a shipful of Marines could be fun:rolleyes: ..... Buff.....Uniforms.....yummmmmmy:eek:[/quote]

Are you stating you are single, and that you would like that; or are you stating that it would be fun to BE single with a ship-load of buff marines?

Seeing that the rolled eyes smilee is probably being used as a daydream representation smilee vs a sarcastic representation smilee, I would then make the deduction you are married- and that Mr. Walkswife, whose name I am guessing is Walk, is not aware of your buff Marine ladden fantasy.

How'd I do? And......

How's that for a completely useless and off-topic Friday afternoon post?:p :D

[quote name='livtojump'][URL="http://www.hernandocounty.net/mcl708/"]http://www.hernandocounty.net/mcl708/[/URL][/QUOTE]

Hernando County, Florida????? Oh my Heaven's, I graduated from Hernando High School in 1964. I see this is based in Spring Hill which is just a stone's throw from Brooksville where I lived . . . both in Hernando County. Very interesting . . . . :p

[B]Lighten up folks!!! The Marine Corp League is an organization made up of former and current Marines - mostly former. It is an organization that promotes the Corps, supports many charitable projects like Toys for Tots, contributes and supports the needy in their community. It is a great and active community of people who are very active.[/B]

[B]For those who are looking for those tight, young, buff Marines, you might be a little disappointed. While many ex-Marines maintain, most of them you will find to be well over 45 - 50 and many substantially older (think American Legion, VFW, etc).[/B]

[B]Being an ex-Marine myself, I am a member of our local League though not as active as I used to be (can't stay off cruise ships long enough-HA!). I am well over "a certain age". My ex-hubby is an active member and has been for years...he is 68 years old.[/B]

[B]I think you will find these people to be a wonderful bunch to travel with. They are pleasant, Marines to the core, polite, well disciplined, very patriotic. While most do like to drink, at their ages, I doubt if you will find any of the "falling down drunk" types at all. It is against the values of the Corp to show that kind of disrepect - in public anyway. And - the old saying "once a Marine, always a Marine" is true, true, true. I would expect you will hear the Marine Corp Hymn more than once on this cruise. Wish I was going!!![/B]

[B]As to the group activities, if you read their website, you can see the planned activities onboard; Bon Voyage party, cocktail party, Sock Hop - like that. The parties rarely last more than an hour so whatever venue they will block off for that activity won't be tied up long....just long enough to set up, have the party, tear down.... The Sock Hop may take a dance floor somewhere for a coupla hours but there are plenty of other places to dance your socks off for a while.[/B]

[B]As for shore excursions? If I were sailing on this ship, I would book my tours as soon as they come on the website or whenever they are available to be reserved. Don't wait until you are on the ship because you could be disappointed. [/B]

[B]Not knowing the size the group will end up to be, there is no way to know about the dining arrangements. I think you will probably find a split here with some of the folks wanting early, some late.[/B]

[B]One thing I can tell you; they will dress for dinner - on formal night, they will be dressed to the nines - as will their spouses. You won't find them trying to slip into the dining room in anything but appropriate wear. Many will wear their dress uniforms and it is a grand site to see.[/B]

[B]Anyway, they will have a wonderful time - and so will those others sailing with them. [/B]

[B]Hoo-rah and Semper Fi! - forever!!:p [/B]

[quote name='seamama1'][B]Lighten up folks!!! The Marine Corp League is an organization made up of former and current Marines - mostly former. It is an organization that promotes the Corps, supports many charitable projects like Toys for Tots, contributes and supports the needy in their community. It is a great and active community of people who are very active.[/B]

[B]For those who are looking for those tight, young, buff Marines, you might be a little disappointed. While many ex-Marines maintain, most of them you will find to be well over 45 - 50 and many substantially older (think American Legion, VFW, etc).[/B]

[B]Being an ex-Marine myself, I am a member of our local League though not as active as I used to be (can't stay off cruise ships long enough-HA!). I am well over "a certain age". My ex-hubby is an active member and has been for years...he is 68 years old.[/B]

[B]I think you will find these people to be a wonderful bunch to travel with. They are pleasant, Marines to the core, polite, well disciplined, very patriotic. While most do like to drink, at their ages, I doubt if you will find any of the "falling down drunk" types at all. It is against the values of the Corp to show that kind of disrepect - in public anyway. And - the old saying "once a Marine, always a Marine" is true, true, true. I would expect you will hear the Marine Corp Hymn more than once on this cruise. Wish I was going!!![/B]

[B]As to the group activities, if you read their website, you can see the planned activities onboard; Bon Voyage party, cocktail party, Sock Hop - like that. The parties rarely last more than an hour so whatever venue they will block off for that activity won't be tied up long....just long enough to set up, have the party, tear down.... The Sock Hop may take a dance floor somewhere for a coupla hours but there are plenty of other places to dance your socks off for a while.[/B]

[B]As for shore excursions? If I were sailing on this ship, I would book my tours as soon as they come on the website or whenever they are available to be reserved. Don't wait until you are on the ship because you could be disappointed. [/B]

[B]Not knowing the size the group will end up to be, there is no way to know about the dining arrangements. I think you will probably find a split here with some of the folks wanting early, some late.[/B]

[B]One thing I can tell you; they will dress for dinner - on formal night, they will be dressed to the nines - as will their spouses. You won't find them trying to slip into the dining room in anything but appropriate wear. Many will wear their dress uniforms and it is a grand site to see.[/B]

[B]Anyway, they will have a wonderful time - and so will those others sailing with them. [/B]

[B]Hoo-rah and Semper Fi! - forever!!:p [/B][/quote]

Thank you...I now look forward to the experience with a much more positive attitude. I really appreciate you taking the time, and effort to respond, although buff would have been good too! ;)

Archived