Legend is going to be late getting in this sunday 9/17/06!

treyct

It's amazing, some people got phone calls, e-mail's, etc.

There's quite a few people on our roll call that didn't get anything. Myself being one of them.

Thankfully Carnival was somewhat informative when I called them to confirm the itinerary change. Except they gave me the wrong info. :rolleyes:

Oh well, I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Did some people book through TA's??

I will also note, when we had this experience... the muster drill was the following morning. They had open seating for dinner that night as well...

If you're "stuck" in NY with your kids on Sunday, another option is the Intrepid Museum. We did that this summer and even my 14 year old liked it (and she wasn't planning to).

Then, head to Jekyll and Hyde's to eat and be entertained. It's not cheap, but it is a blast! Good food and a lot of fun. Your kids will forget all about the cruise ship leaving late! www.jekyllandhydeclub.com

I'll be in NYC this Sunday taking my DD and her friends to an off-Broadway show and then dinner (Cowgirl, in the W.Village, another really fun place).... but I would love to send them home and then cruise with you all! (oh, yeah, real life intrudes, back to work on Monday)

Have fun everyone! Have a drink of the day for me!

There's quite a few people on our roll call that didn't get anything. Myself being one of them.

I'm curious if either A) they don't have your phone number/e-mail address, or B) is your funpass completed?

My concern is this tells me there WILL be people showing up tomorrow uninformed, which means DON'T get dressed tomorrow without putting on the thick skinned outfits. They come in all sizes!

And don't let ANYONE ruin it for you guys in the know!

And please, someone capture the good stuff for Youtube! :eek:

If you're "stuck" in NY with your kids on Sunday, another option is the Intrepid Museum.

You know what's also fun? THE BEAST! http://www.allnewyorktours.com/body.asp?Page=TourDetails&tour=NYC-W0024&headerson=off

It's gonna be in the 80's tomorrow, and it's a nice way to see the harbor (and you'll get to see Lady liberty in the daylight hours).

You can catch it on the other side of the Intrepid, by the Circle Line.

Good gosh. Drop off your bags. Take a taxi to Central park. Eat at Carmines for lunch on 47th street. See a play. Take a tour. Go to the Statue of Liberty. Shop....I LOVE NY. :D Have a great cruise.

Carmines...I like Carmines.....now I wish we were leaving from NYC!

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllyCat81

Yes, Carnival has my phone number and my email and my work number and my cell number and I wasn't notified. Still haven't been.

If I wasn't on these boards I wouldn't have a clue as I'm sure there will passengers showing up tomorrow who do not know and will be pretty aggravated. I won't let it ruin my trip. NYC from the river at night - should be pretty cool.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllyCat81

Yes, Carnival has my phone number and my email and my work number and my cell number and I wasn't notified. Still haven't been.

If I wasn't on these boards I wouldn't have a clue as I'm sure there will passengers showing up tomorrow who do not know and will be pretty aggravated. I won't let it ruin my trip. NYC from the river at night - should be pretty cool.

i got 2 phone calls at home yesterday. i don't think they called ally because my name is the primary name on the reservation? maybe? and she thought i was messing with her when i told her...ha. i wish. i think sailing out of ny at night will be amazing. definitely something that will make our cruise more special than the other legend cruises. see you all on board...orrrr in line tomorrow!!

i got 2 phone calls at home yesterday. i don't think they called ally because my name is the primary name on the reservation? maybe? and she thought i was messing with her when i told her...ha. i wish. i think sailing out of ny at night will be amazing. definitely something that will make our cruise more special than the other legend cruises. see you all on board...orrrr in line tomorrow!!

I found out that I actually got 3 calls. Two on my cell and one on my machine at home. I was originally concerned about how to kill time in NY. Now with all these great suggestions, I am thinking I don't have enough time.:D This is going to be a lot of fun.

You'll excuse me if this has already been mentioned. At 75 cents a minute, I didn't want to read the whole thread. We're on the Legend now. We were 90 miles out of St. Thomas (after leaving Tortola) and had to turn back to St. Thomas due to not one, but two medical emergencies. I don't know the details. We just left the debarkation presentation and the Captain told us we were running a little ahead of schedule and should reach the port entry at 1:00pm. They are still planning a 4:00pm debarkation. I'm sorry for those of you who will be getting a late start, but I beleive they would not have turned back for anything less than a life threatening situation.

Wnjoy your cruise. I know we're enjoying ours. I did things I never thought I'd have the nerve to do!

You'll excuse me if this has already been mentioned. At 75 cents a minute, I didn't want to read the whole thread. We're on the Legend now. We were 90 miles out of St. Thomas (after leaving Tortola) and had to turn back to St. Thomas due to not one, but two medical emergencies. I don't know the details. We just left the debarkation presentation and the Captain told us we were running a little ahead of schedule and should reach the port entry at 1:00pm. They are still planning a 4:00pm debarkation. I'm sorry for those of you who will be getting a late start, but I beleive they would not have turned back for anything less than a life threatening situation.

Wnjoy your cruise. I know we're enjoying ours. I did things I never thought I'd have the nerve to do!

thanks for the update live from the ship. i don't think any of us have a problem with leaving later. we hope those involved with the evacs are ok. it was just a hectic day yesterday trying to find out what was going on and get definitive answers to the whole situation.

thanks again

I'm curious if either A) they don't have your phone number/e-mail address, or B) is your funpass completed?

My funpass is completed, and Carnival has my cell number, my home line and my e-mail. Both mine and Chris's names are on the reservation. And I don't think we used a TA... we booked through cruisesonly.com?

Well, thankfully we were informed... I feel bad for those who show up around 11-12 and have to find something to do. Granted, NY is a great city... but it's kinda hard to find something to do when you're unfamiliar with the territory. ;)

My funpass is completed, and Carnival has my cell number, my home line and my e-mail. Both mine and Chris's names are on the reservation. And I don't think we used a TA... we booked through cruisesonly.com?

Maybe they only call the primary, since chris got the call.

Carnival called us last night to say there would be a itinerary change. I thought oh no, Canada again! I even said that to the man. He laughed and explained what happened and the new timing of the day. I changed our Amtrak reservation to later train to get us into Penn station at 4pm. By what you all are saying, I guess it would be a really good idea to have dinner or something in New York before getting on? I'm hearing open seating for dinner and lifeboat drill on Monday AM......

No matter what it's still for me 8 days of no computers, phones and telemarketers. Looking forward to Grand Turk now. On the other board regarding our late departure, the question is do they have a pier or are you tendered ashore? Someone posted a link stating a new pier is now open to Holland-America.

Everyone enjoy your day in New York and a evening departure from Manhattan should be spectacular! Safe travels to all.:)

Paul

Well, thankfully we were informed... I feel bad for those who show up around 11-12 and have to find something to do. Granted, NY is a great city... but it's kinda hard to find something to do when you're unfamiliar with the territory. ;)

Yes, you booked through a TA, and it is their responsibility to let you know of changes. But it sounds like Carnival is trying to also contact everyone... they rock!!! Perhaps since you booked through a large internet TA, they will get around to it sometime today, or even tomorrow? LOL I know that Carnival does notify the TA's about this, so your TA definitely should have let you know.

Yes, you booked through a TA, and it is their responsibility to let you know of changes. But it sounds like Carnival is trying to also contact everyone... they rock!!! Perhaps since you booked through a large internet TA, they will get around to it sometime today, or even tomorrow? LOL I know that Carnival does notify the TA's about this, so your TA definitely should have let you know.

Yea, I got a call from cruisesonly last nite too...but i ignored it since i already knew what the whole situation was. so we're all set. i'm very much looking forward to grand turk now. just have to decide what excursion we're going to do! should be lots of fun despite the little set back. :D

OH YOU guys are killing me here! LOL! Love Morton's... it's a toss up between that and S&W's for me... they have a shrimp appetizer at S&W's that I LOOOOOOVE... both have an amazing steak!!!

Smith & wolinsky's 49 th & 2nd ave want a good steak go to peter lugers over the williamsburg bridge

Smith & wolinsky's 49 th & 2nd ave want a good steak go to peter lugers over the williamsburg bridge

Indeed... haven't been to Peter Luger in a few years, but I loaded up on sauce the last time I was there, and still have 1 bottle left :D That's a good one too!

I have to hand it to Carnival....

I received

1. The email that I started the thread with friday morning

2. 2 automated calls with all the info friday afternoon

3. a Personal call from a pvp friday evening

Thats awesome customer service

We booked our cruise over the internet through smartcruiser.com. Neither they nor Carnival clued us in as to the itinary change! We had one message on the phone machine last night from Carnival saying the ship would be late and to check in after 7pm tomorrow. Iwish I'd known that Tortola would no longer be on the itinary and that Grand Turk would now be our first stop, followed by San Juan and then St Thomas. The reason we decided on this cruise was that we really really wanted to go to Tortola. (I could skip San Juan and have been to St. Thomas several times.) It's completely understandable that they are leaving late and NYC at night should be beautiful. It's too bad though that they can't somehow just keep their original ports of call even if we are leaving late!!! If it weren't for cc roll call boards, we never would have known. Had I known yesterday, I might have tried to cancel and refund and go in November but now we've taken the time out of work etc. Oh well, since no choice, hopefully it will be a fun and relaxing cruise anyway. If you don't snorkle, does anyone have any good ideas of active things to do to replace the baths in Tortola???

We booked our cruise over the internet through smartcruiser.com. Neither they nor Carnival clued us in as to the itinary change! We had one message on the phone machine last night from Carnival saying the ship would be late and to check in after 7pm tomorrow. Iwish I'd known that Tortola would no longer be on the itinary and that Grand Turk would now be our first stop, followed by San Juan and then St Thomas. The reason we decided on this cruise was that we really really wanted to go to Tortola. (I could skip San Juan and have been to St. Thomas several times.) It's completely understandable that they are leaving late and NYC at night should be beautiful. It's too bad though that they can't somehow just keep their original ports of call even if we are leaving late!!! If it weren't for cc roll call boards, we never would have known. Had I known yesterday, I might have tried to cancel and refund and go in November but now we've taken the time out of work etc. Oh well, since no choice, hopefully it will be a fun and relaxing cruise anyway. If you don't snorkle, does anyone have any good ideas of active things to do to replace the baths in Tortola???

Did CCL give pax the option to cancel because of the changes?

Bill

I am one of the passengers who recently came off the sailing that arrived late due to the evacuation. Let me start off by saying that I understand Carnival's priority lied in getting these passengers the medical treatment they needed. My frustration, however, is Carnival's poor handling of the situation. At least for those of us still on board. It sounds like they were a little more customer focused with the passengers waiting to board the next sailing, which is goodness. I just wish that same concern was extended to those of us still on the ship.

Since the ship was over seven hours late in arriving into New York, most of us with arline reservations that day missed our scheduled flights. And some were not successful in getting other flights out on Sunday due to the late hour. Carnival offered no assistance whatsoever, either financial or even logistical. The best they did was to give us a free phone call to the airline to allow us to workout our own alternate arrangements, but any additional charges assessed by the airlines or hotels were to be at the passengers' own expense.

I understand the need to deal with medical emergencies, but what none of us on board could understand was Carnival's decision to turn the entire ship around and head back to St. Thomas instead of airlifting the sick passengers off the ship, which has always been the case in my previous experience with shipboard medical emergencies. While Carnival can claim this was not their fault, I do hold them responsible for a poor decision in dealing with the emergency. And leaving so many passengers stranded without flights home was a poor showing in customer service.

I understand your frustration. What do you think Carnival should have done? Could they have gotten flights switched for everyone? Maybe Carnival did handle it wrong. Thinking about it, maybe the people who needed to be air lifted did not have the trip insurance coverage to pay for it, as it is over 20k? Carnival made the decision to turn back. That is all I can think of. Just be glad it was not you or one of your loved ones.

I was on that ship also. The captian gave up to date announcements of what was going on. The ship was well informed. You do what you can in an emergency, here two peoples lives were the priority, and rightfully so. It is amazing to me when people can not see that and think they are the priority. The decision was made to save two lives, how he did it does not matter, as long as the two passengers are safe. That is what trip insurance is for. My aunt and cousin had to stay an extra day in NYC, and reschedule their flights. Hey we got an extra day at sea!

Archived