Trivia

travel-to-go

Okay,

All of the Brits have asked gone to bed already, so it is safe to ask this question (although some may be getting up about now!)

Found these on Trivial Pursuit cards at our favorite bar/restaurant where we ate tonight (Where everybody knows your name)

Q. ) What does Lloyd's Lutine Bell announce?

Or perhaps you'd prefer:

Q.) How many nautical miles are there in one degree of latitude?

Answers tomorrow!

Karie,

Who is FAR from Trivial!

Okay,

All of the Brits have asked gone to bed already, so it is safe to ask this question (although some may be getting up about now!)

Found these on Trivial Pursuit cards at our favorite bar/restaurant where we ate tonight (Where everybody knows your name)

Or perhaps you'd prefer:

swers tomorrow!

Karie,

Who is FAR from Trivial!

[/QUO

lloyds lutine bell announces major news at lloyds good or bad!!!!

approx 70 miles per degree(not sure if that is nautical or not) approx 25,000 miles in 360"

And this is why you will NEVER, and I mean NEVER, see me anywhere near Trivial Pursuit competition!!! Not that I don't have a lot of trivia running around in my brain, it's just that it's SO trivial they couldn't even figure out how to ask a question about it!!! :eek:

Cheers, Penny

Okay,

Or perhaps you'd prefer:

Answers tomorrow!

Karie,

Who is FAR from Trivial!

Should I be offended that you're trying to exclude the English? Or is it that you want to keep out those who are likely to win? ;)

Okay,

Karie,

Who is FAR from Trivial!

What makes you think all the Brits were in bed!?

Anyway, I'm not convinced that you've got your time lines right. We're only a few hours ahead ya know and some of us get up early (or come home from the clubs late!).:)

Can you tell us about the Philadelphia bell?

Karie,

Who is FAR from Trivial!

Karie, I'm actually glad you posed this question and I welcome the opportunity to set the record straight, as there have been many incorrect answers given over the years.

Lloyd's Lutine Bell is located just outside the entryway of the famous Lloyd's Dinner Club located in the Hyde Park district of London. Every evening at 6:00 PM, restaurant manager Nigel Lutine rings the bell when the restaurant is about to open and patrons can be seated.

Thus, Lloyd's Lutine Bell announces the opening of Lloyd's Dinner Club.

Thank you again, Karie. :D

Should I be offended that you're trying to exclude the English? Or is it that you want to keep out those who are likely to win? ;)

I'm glad that you asked that. I was offended and wasn't going to post until another Briton had replied:)

Karie - I read your attack on the British and burst into tears:p

Oh Oh! Our darling Karie in trouble with Britain? Caused an international incident? Tell me this is not so? he he! Wait until I get to sail the QM2 before war breaks out. Oh wait, I'm Canadian! Can I consider myself neutral and use both sides? LOL!

Anyway, I have absolutely NO idea as to the answers to these questions. Unlike Penny (my fellow Dec 2 QM2 voyager) I still will show up to the trivia at the Golden Lion's Pub and play along. I think its important that we know everything about nothing especially in a pub. A warning though, if I don't know I'm going to make the answers up! You'd be surprise how many I had answered right using this methodology in the past!

David

I believe that 2Moose is correct, and Therapist is merely being tongue-in-cheek about Lloyds. It's Lloyds of London of insurance fame that has the Bell, noted for being rung when ships (they insured) go down. Here is a rhyme about it from an old book, The Space Child's Mother Goose:

Peter Pater astrogater

Lost his orbit calculator

Out among the asteroids

They rung the Lutine bell at Lloyds.

I read that about 40 years ago. I can't remember my lunch, but THAT I can remember.

The ship's bell (engraved "ST. JEAN - 1779") was recovered on July 17, 1858. The bell was found entangled in the chains originally running from the ship's wheel to the rudder, and was originally left in this state before being separated and re-hung from the rostrum of the Underwriting Room at Lloyd's. It weighs 106 lb. and is 17.5 inches in diameter. It remains a mystery why the name on the bell does not correspond with that of the ship. The bell was traditionally struck when news of an overdue ship arrived - once for the loss of a ship (i.e. bad news), and twice for her return (i.e. good news). The bell was sounded to ensure that all brokers and underwriters were made aware of the news simultaneously. The bell has developed a crack and the traditional practice of ringing news has ended: the last time it was rung to tell of a lost ship was in 1979 and the last time it was rung to herald the return of an overdue ship was in 1989.

During the World War II, the **** radio propagandist Lord Haw-Haw asserted that the bell was being rung continuously because of allied shipping losses during the Battle of the Atlantic. In fact, the bell was rung once, with one ring, during the war, when the Bismarck was sunk. [14]

It is now rung for ceremonial purposes to commemorate disasters such as the 9/11 disaster, the Asian Tsunami, and the London Bombings, and is always rung at the start and end of the two minutes silence on Armistice Day.

The bell has hung in four successive Lloyd's Underwriting Rooms:

The Royal Exchange 1858 - 1928;

Lloyd's building in Leadenhall Street 1928-1958;

Lloyd's first Lime Street headquarters 1958-1986;

The present Lloyd's building in Lime Street since 1986.

There is also a chair and table at Lloyd's made from the rudder of the frigate. The rudder was salvaged on September 18, 1858. This furniture was previously in the Lloyd's writing room and was used by the Chairman of Lloyd's at the Annual General Meeting of members, but is now kept in the Old Library of the Lloyd's building.

With thanks to Wikipedia,

Paul

Wow, Finch...and I was worried about all that useless trivia running around in MY head. ;) I feel much better now and thankfully I do remember what I had for lunch....I think. Maybe that was dinner....

Don't be too hard on Karie...she was probably only trying to give us dummies a head start. You weren't trying to start an international incident, now were you Karie? Make nice....these are our friends across the pond you know. And then of course our diplomat David next door. So be a good girl and tell them you didn't mean anything bad. In short...make nice! :p

Since we're on the subject of bells and trivia, does anyone know what historic bells were forged in London in 1764 and then made 7 Atlantic voyages from there to the US back and forth 6 more times? And as a hint, the same foundry that made them in 1764 was still functioning when they were sent back again in 1989.

Cheers, Penny

Don't be too hard on Karie...she was probably only trying to give us dummies a head start. You weren't trying to start an international incident, now were you Karie? Make nice....these are our friends across the pond you know. And then of course our diplomat David next door. So be a good girl and tell them you didn't mean anything bad. In short...make nice! :p

Penny

well, Gosh, Penny.

If anyone should be insulted, it should be us <ulp> hard for me to say this word, as a born and bred Southern Belle.. Yanks.

After all, All I meant was, since the Brits will most indubitably know the quick answer to this question, it's the only way us Americans would get a chance..

Oops. Now there I've gone and done it. I've ticked off the Americans, too! Well, Gosh, David, Does Canada Still like me? give me a chance. I'll find some way to insult them too!

BTW, it is 60 NM to 1 degree of latitude.

Karie,

who could probably start world War III- and not with the face that laucnhed a thousand ships, either!

If anyone should be insulted, it should be us <ulp> hard for me to say this word, as a born and bred Southern Belle. Yanks.

Karie - I was only joking about being offended (not about bursting into tears(another joke)). That's the first time I've ever heard someone from the States admit to being a Yank!:D

Penny - Is the answer something to do with bells supplied to St.Michael's, Charleston, South Carolina?

We have a winner!!! Malcolm, you get the prize!! I'm impressed!! They are indeed the bells of St Michaels in Charleston SC built in 1752 and simply a gorgeous church with great history. The bells were forged by Whitechapel Foundry in London in 1764. During the Revolutionary War they were taken by the British as a war prize and hauled back to England. After the War they were returned. ( that's 3 Atlantic crossings by the end of the 1700's) During the Civil War they were hidden in Columbia SC where they were badly damaged when the war came to Columbia. Again they crossed to London and were recast and sent back to Charleston. (2 more crossings) In 1989 Hurricane Hugo devastated Charleston and once again the damaged bells returned to the same foundry where they were repaired and sent back in 1993. ( 2 more crossings for a total of 7 Atlantic crossings. One less than me!!!)

What's amazing to me is that given the dangers of ocean travel in the 1700's and 1800's that the ships carrying them weren't lost at sea. And that the same foundry was still in business and had the original molds.

I hope you all have a chance to hear them some day....they are lovely. And well done Malcolm!! Cheers, Penny

Gee, I wonder where Penny's from? <G>

And I wish she'd take back her weather! I am sweating and the mosquitos are eating me alive!

It is hot (gorgeous actually) here in Connecticut!

Unfortunately, I am stripping my deck. Which is not a fun thing to do.

Do you think I could borrow some of the ..."DECK CREW"... from QM2?

<groan>

Karie,

Who has to finish. when her house was being built 20 years ago, she came over after work one night to fine her REDWOOD DECK painted a bright orangy-brick red! (The builder had actually returned one batch of redwood as not being high enough quality) It turns out, Basil, the painter had been sent for redwood stain, finding none, he picked up "Pigmented stain" I.E. Paint. The color is hideous! So we had to paint over it with brown. Now I am trying to strip it down to bare wood, as the wood is rotting in spots from not being protected- I can't put waterseal on it where there is paint.

All in all, I'd rather be sunning myself on a cruise!

Oh well, break's over. Back to work!

Hi Karie,

Please go to the Dec. 2nd Roll Call thread. Beth wanted some Trivia questions, so I gave the ones from our one Trivia on the Labor Day Cruise.

I was missing one question and did not right down the answer to another.

So please take a look and see if you remember what part Mick Jagger played in a movie.

Thanks and Smiles, :)

Maria

hey Karie...so that's why it was so nice here today. High of 80 and not a mosquito in sight!! Thanks for taking them...you're a peach!! :p So you weren't sunning yourself on the QM2...beats snow, which as I remember well will be coming very shortly. Of course not for those who are on the Dec 2nd cruise!! Hint, hint :p Cheers, Penny

Unfortunately, I am stripping my deck. Which is not a fun thing to do.

Do you think I could borrow some of the ..."DECK CREW"... from QM2?

You want to borrow crew and the only thing you want them so strip is your deck?:eek: :D

You want to borrow crew and the only thing you want them so strip is your deck?:eek: :D

No, no, NO! Have you seen some of these men? All hardbodies and...I want them to strip ON my deck.. with paint and stain stripper, of course! <G>

And then they could clean it (neutralizes the stripper) and put Thompson's Water Seal on it before the weather changes. Was 71 degrees late when I came home after dark tonight. No global warming... And I'm loving it. I just wish it could last. Looking at snowthrowers Saturday night. I'm not ready for this! <WAH!>

Take me somewhere tropical!

Karie,

who just got something from HAL about Japan and China. And and enveope from Princess that I haven't opened yet.

P/S/ <y air conditioner is runing as we speak

Archived