In Cabin Sitting with RCCL

renata102

Hi just came back from the RCCL Enchantment of the Sea with my 12 month old (just turned 1 two days before we sailed) and my daughter who turned 5 during the cruise! Had a great time! just to point out a few things....

I arrived early at the pier and met an ocean adventure staff member named Alura and found her to be smart and well spoken. Told her that my daughter would take advantage of Adventure ocean but my son will not, but we are thinking about babysitting services at night. She told me she would be available at night and I IMMEDIATLy went to the pursars desk and requested babysitting every night from 9:30 to 1:30. I later found out I did get Alura for each 4 nights.

Needless to say we LOVED HER! she was very professional came to our cabin quitly as the kiddies were falling asleep. She brought her laptop and some movies. when we came in, she was wathing a movie. I never felt so comfortable in my life with a sitter (I am a child abuse investigator in my real life).

SO take advantage of in room sitting! Request early!

ALso my daughter LOVED adventure ocean. WHen we were ashore, she came with us. however, when on the ship she was ALWAYS THERE! she didn't even want to hang with us at the pool :)

We were totally impressed with the service and if and when we take our children again we wuold use the services in a HEART BEAT. and if anyone is sailing on the EOS, request her!

Glad to hear that you had a good experience with the babysitting. We are taking our 15 month old on the Mariner next month (and specifically picked RCCL b/c of the babysitting). I was a little nervous about it but you made me feel a better about it. I will definitely be going straight to the pursers desk to request babysitting for the nights I want them!

I got off the Freedom of the Seas last Sunday and I wanted to do in room sitting, but I was told that it was done by room attendants and others that had spare time. The counselors in the kids club told me they couldn't do it because it was a "conflict of interest". I would have loved to have time alone with my husband, but was afraid to leave my three kids ages 8,6 & 20 mos. Maybe it is up to each ship how they do it? I loved the Freedom, but I wish it had a nursery like Disney Cruise Line does.

So from what I'm gathering, sitting doesn't begin until 10pm? That stinks for us, we were hoping for some time during the day for our 2.5 yr old. Any ideas? On Carnival last time we were very lucky with a friendly staff in the CC area who watched him while for us even though he wasn't old enough.

I got off the Freedom of the Seas last Sunday and I wanted to do in room sitting, but I was told that it was done by room attendants and others that had spare time. The counselors in the kids club told me they couldn't do it because it was a "conflict of interest". I would have loved to have time alone with my husband, but was afraid to leave my three kids ages 8,6 & 20 mos. Maybe it is up to each ship how they do it? I loved the Freedom, but I wish it had a nursery like Disney Cruise Line does.

THAT ODD!

because alura was a counselor. IN fact, she would meet us a few minutes late becuase she had to leave the adventure ocean and walk to our cabin. that was never mentioned. maybe they said that becuase they didn't want to do it. BUT i can assure you that she was my daughter's counselor during the day and babysat her at night...... we also requested her by name!

So from what I'm gathering, sitting doesn't begin until 10pm? That stinks for us, we were hoping for some time during the day for our 2.5 yr old. Any ideas? On Carnival last time we were very lucky with a friendly staff in the CC area who watched him while for us even though he wasn't old enough.

no, those are the times WE requested. My daughter was in adventure ocean most of the time and our son was with us during the day. WE just wanted sitting at night. The hours for Rccl WAS anytime from 8 am to 2 am each day...

Although I have not need in cabin babysitting myself I have observed many on RCCL. They are mostly room attendants who are mom's themselves. They will take them around the ship if you give them permission. I have seen some pushing strollers around the upper deck. I saw another in the windjammer having an ice cream snack. I think the attendants really enjoy when they are allowed to roam the ship. I think it makes them feel like a passenger for a brief moment and allows them to go to areas strictly off limits to them any other time.

BIL and his wife used in-room sitting with their then 14MO on Voyager a few months back. They got the same woman all three nights that they requested sitting. She was with the housekeeping staff. We had late seating so they got the sitter for around 7:30ish. BIL was a bit worried about a stranger with his little girl - so BIL and wife both made several "excuses" to "pop in" and check up on the situation. My niece pretty much slept right through it and they never had a problem of any sort.

Renata - or anyone - on RCCL - when you sign the form do they require proof of age? My daughter will be 12 days shy of her first birthday when we board and I really would like the in-room sitting option for at least one night.

Also, is ther a group sitting option available for the dinner hour?

Renata - or anyone - on RCCL - when you sign the form do they require proof of age? My daughter will be 12 days shy of her first birthday when we board and I really would like the in-room sitting option for at least one night.

Also, is ther a group sitting option available for the dinner hour?

you have to present the childs BC when checking in.... I believe they put the age of the child in the database. Also, even though your child is 12 days shy of her 1st birthday, she is not 1. In fact if she turned one a day after you sailed she is still considered under 1 for the duration of the cruise. For example, my daughters BDAY is Sept 9 and my son's Bday is Sept 3. Our cruise started September 7. My daughter remained 4 years old as per the ship criteria, even though she was legally 5. It ddin't really affect her in any way. On the other had, my son turned one 5 days before the cruise and he was 1 in their books. Incidentally, I have heard of people purchasing a cruise for their 21st birthday eagerly awaiting drinking on the cruise ship. The problem for some is that their birthday fell on the 2nd day (or 3rd day etc...) and they were denied drinking the entire cruise.

for some reason RCCL is really strict about it. What's the difference of a few days shy of a birthday (like your child)....

Archived